Who will win this group of death?

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama' started by world soccer magazines, Dec 1, 2017.

?

Group of death winner will be...

Poll closed Jun 9, 2018.
  1. Belgium.

38.7%
  2. Tunisia...hahaha...

9.7%
  3. Panama....hahahahahahahahahaha...too good.

11.3%
  4. England...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...stop it, that's too much man.

29.0%
  5. Italy...oh wait.

11.3%
  1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Official team photo

[​IMG]

2. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    England 2 - 0 Costa Rica.

3. Matn1234

Matn1234 New Member

Barcelona
    Belgium
    Apr 18, 2018
    No he isn't. Low midfield will most likely be Witsel and De Bruyne and you could notice why if you watch first half against Egypt (Witsel) and then match against Portugal (Dembele). Witsel suits the 3-4-3 better and is loved by many coaches because he does all the tasks he gets. I'm not too big of a fan of him but I understand the choice by the coach.

HansWorldCup repped this.
  4. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I was impressed by Senegal yesterday, but Tunisia's containment of Spain so far has been impeccable!

5. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Tunisia again with a very good effort against Spain. They made Spain looking toothless for almost the entire game with their relentless pressing game. Spain had difficulties to enter even the penalty box! As Tunisia got tired at the end they eventually conceded the goal. I like Tunisia's courageous game but it has also its flaws. This system requires endless running and there is a high risk you run out of gas after 70 minutes or so. The key to succeed will be to alternate this high-pressing with sitting deep at times in order to save energy. Or they have to make sure that they will score first against England/Belguim. If they not score first they might end up losing late like against Spain.

6. André Marconi

André Marconi Red Card

Crotone Calcio
    Italy
    Jun 16, 2018
    DEDICATED TO CR7'S FANS IN THE WORLD... IN ALL LANGUAGES! SHARE & DANCE THE BEST SONG ON CRISTIANO RONALDO!!!

7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was at the England - Tunisia game last night and finally got to where there's some decent Wifi to upload the 3 goals if you want to see from the crowd's perspective:

Kane's Opener:

Sassi penalty:

Kane's Winner:

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  8. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    At this point you may not want to win the group.

The group winner likely gets the winner of Germany-Brazil in the QF (assuming a win in the R16).....the 2nd place team likely gets the winner of Mexico-Switzerland in the QF (again assuming a R16 win).

And given that England and Belgium are equal on both goal differential and goals scored, a draw in their final match would see the group winner decided by fair play points (currently England at -2, Belgium at -3), which could see both teams playing to lose and/or players intentionally trying to get carded in order to finish lower in fair play points in the case of a draw.

9. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Interesting last match, most definitely.

10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There needs to be a "No one - it will be a coin toss" option to this poll

11. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    So both teams will want to get second

If they get second the path to the final (if the favourites win) is
    Senegal/Japan/Colombia
    Mexico
    Croatia/Portugal

Meanwhile if they win
    Senegal/Japan/Colombia
    Brazil/Germany
    Spain/France

12. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Yepp i agree except i think its going to be Croatia/Spain and France/Portugal.
    I think its bigger chance Spain wins with more goals than Portugal.

13. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Can Croatia beat Spain? What are the chances?

14. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Did it in Euro 2016 with mostly the same squads.

15. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I want England to win. I think we're good enough while almost all the other big boys are struggling. Bring them on! I really think we'll get a result against Belgium as well because England will sit back more and counter-attack.

roverman repped this.
  16. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I was thinking about that. Also I believe Croatia were without Modric and Mandzukic when they did it in Euro 2016.

I do believe that Spain has improved quite a bit from Euro 2016, but so has Croatia as well.

17. Matn1234

Matn1234 New Member

Barcelona
    Belgium
    Apr 18, 2018
    The questions is: Who wants to win this group? Imo a match-up against Colombia is the last thing both teams want in 1/8 finals. Martinez has already confirmed that he will make major changes and will probably rest the big boys.

To be fair it wouldn't be my choice. I'd like to win to keep the good flow and the confirmation that we can beat a very good team.

18. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Yes, because Colombia have advanced...

You're acting like it a foregone conclusion... Colombia is third in the group, may finish anywhere from 1st-4th (albeit 4th is unlikely) and Senegal, if you look at them, has the most expensive team in the group, so it shouldn't really come that much of a surprise, if they win or draw.

19. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I want colombia out..overrated rubbish

20. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I believe Belgium and England are superior to any team in Group H. Colombia is overrated, and I feel with the new talent that England has brought, they can beat them, and so can Belgium.

roverman repped this.
  21. Datderfranny

Datderfranny Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well... I gotta come on here and eat crow. I was the idiot who said Panama would beat England way back when the groups were announced.

Umm... just a little bit off on that one, haha. You all are allowed to taunt and boo me untill your throats are sore.

W.A.S.P., roverman and Philip J. Fry repped this.
  22. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It goes against the spirit of winning, but in order to not incur too much damage before the semifinal and final...

Will both England and Belgium rest all their starters in an effort to avoid Germany and Brazil ?(granted we have no idea what the brackets are yet...)

23. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Reportedly both sides will rest quite a few players. Southgate and Martinez have made similar comments about it. I hear Kane wants that golden boot and will (probably) play but might be subbed off at some point. Lukaku has a knock and very likely he'll be protected and maybe Hazard, and to a lesser extent Mertens, won't start either. Players on a yellow will definitely sit this one out, i.e. no Vertonghen, Meunier and De Bruyne.

Martinez said fielding a completely fresh team (except the goalie?) is a possibility. In 2014 Belgium were also through before the final group game and fielded 9 fresh players with only Vertonghen (captain for that game) and the goalie keeping their spot in the starting line-up. This time round I expect that at least half of the starters (for Belgium) will be on the bench and it wouldn't be a surprise if it's more.

Belgium's base camp is in Moscow and to play more games in Moscow it would be better to come second in this group.

24. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    It will be interesting, because as the last group to complete group play, the Group G teams will know exactly what side of the bracket the powerful teams will be. For example, if the Group G 2nd place team will get Brazil or Germany in the quarters, and the first place team Switzerland or Mexico, will that be incentive enough to field the strongest team possible on Thursday and go all out for a win?

25. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Managers won't openly admit to it but both Southgate and Martinez will be thinking about the (better) path behind closed doors. I'd expect Brazil +/- Germany to go into the other half though, i.e. the winners of group G ending up with a harder path. Let's see what happens tomorrow (and the day after).