Who will win the world cup?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Vialli-Toto, May 20, 2018.

1. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see a new champion such as Croatia or Belgium. Don't think it will happen, but would love to see it.

actegoric repped this.
  2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    England easy

3. Antonio_Martin

Antonio_Martin New Member

Jun 28, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I'm supporting Portugal. I'm a big fan of FIFA but can't watch it live online in my region because of geo-restrictions. Finally, I found the article where guide about how to watch FIFA World Cup 2018 live online without any issue. But didn't know about VPN. Anyone guide me which VPN is the best. Your help will be appreciated ....

4. Vialli-Toto

Vialli-Toto Member

Milan
    Italy
    Mar 26, 2018
    Coehlo - thats why you aren't considered a favourite. You've never achieved anything at the world cup.

Did not qualify.

2010 - 2nd round
    2014 - 1st round
    2018 - 2nd round

This isn't the Euros. Even then you won one, the last one, and were utterly the worst side ever to win a trophy. That's fact. Not being a troll. One win in 7 games coming in 90 minutes and 4 draws, 2 wins in extra time after being second best in those. Portugal just isn't really that good.

One win at this world cup. Lucky in that one again after being outplayed.

5. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #55 MarioKempes, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    The only teams that look good enough to win it all are Croatia and Uruguay and Belgium. We can't count out Brazil nor France nor Spain, but each of those has demonstrated deficiencies.

6. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Portugal made it to the semis in 2006, which was also the last time when Italy last did anything at a World Cup, the year they won. Italy has since crashed out in the group stages of 2010 and 2014. They didn't qualify for this edition. Portugal haven't quite lived up beyond the best 16 teams in the world since then either. So both have disappointed a fair bit given both countries are well worthy of being among the top 8 at least.

There is also an element of strategy at major finals which does excuse Portugal's slow start. Teams that look to make deep runs tend to start off slow. Italy are notorious for starting tournaments slowly and then building momentum. In fact, Italy drew all three group games in 1982 when they won their third World Cup, just like Portugal did at Euro 2016. Baggio started 1994 in less than stellar form, but he picked up his performances in the knock-outs.

All in all, I don't see the point in bickering about which country isn't any good.

7. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I think Brazil and Belgium are the strongest contenders. Whoever wins the match between them in the quarters might as well be crowned world champions. I still think Spain might do it, but Croatia are very strong and will be their biggest test. Croatia too can win, but they are still on an outside chance of doing it. England could do it, so can France, but I'm more doubtful of their chances. Uruguay and Colombia are potentially in it, but they'll pushing well beyond their weight by the time they take on opponents of Brazil's, Belgium's or Spain's quality, but France and England are teams they could beat in my view.

8. logmarc

logmarc Member

None
    Belgium
    Jun 29, 2018
    My current prediction : Croatia / Belgium
    outsiders : Brazil, France, Spain & Uruguay

[​IMG]

9. Edwardinho

Edwardinho Member

Barcelona
    France
    Feb 11, 2018
  10. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Before the tournament got underway, the top 3 contenders were Brazil, Germany and Spain, followed by France and Argentina. Belgium, Portugal and Croatia were seen as potential dark horses.

Well, what we know now is that Germany, Spain and Argentina aren't going to win the World Cup! And Portugal aren't going to be the tournament's dark horse. That leaves Brazil and France as the top teams still in contention, while Belgium and Croatia are no longer dark horses but main contenders too. England can be seen at this stage as a potential dark horse and the same with Uruguay.

So, which side among them has the best chance to win it all? Brazil. But perhaps by the time their match against Mexico is over, they will end up eliminated too! I doubt it but stranger things have happened in this World Cup. If that happens, then I think the field will be wide open, with France having slightly better odds than the rest but not enough for there to be any real favorite left.

12. ChicagoKev

ChicagoKev New Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Yes, I think England are a lock to win it all. I don't even think it will be a difficult journey for them. I expect they'll win most of their games with ease. I think they're unstoppable this year. The way things have fallen into place for them makes them the clear favorite in my book.

roverman repped this.
  13. Robert11

Robert11 New Member

FC Barcelona
    Brazil
    Jun 27, 2018
    1st Brazil, 2nd France, 3rd England

Btw, here's a contest to win Nintendo Switch by predicting the World Cup champion: https://bit.ly/2LWJxck

14. william brown

william brown New Member

chalsea
    Brazil
    Apr 2, 2019
    my prediction is Croatia will win the world cup by defeating Argentina and France in semi-final and final, I'm hoping for the best.