Who will win the world cup?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Vialli-Toto, May 20, 2018.

1. Vialli-Toto

Vialli-Toto Member

Milan
    Italy
    Mar 26, 2018
    England you got to be joking. The last 3 tournaments people were saying exactly what they're saying now. They're going to do well because there is no pressure. Once again because of this amongst other reasons you're over hyping their chances and raising expectations.

2. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Rui Costa was retired after 2004, he wasn't on the 2006 team. There left back eas Valente, Raphael is better. Ricardo was an average goalie at best, Patricio is one of the 10 ish goalies around. Carvalho was great but Pepe is also great, a wash in my opinion. The d mid was an old decent player in his prime Costinha, Carvalho is much better. Maniche showed up for national team but was always an average player, moutinho is better. Deco was phenominal, but so is Bernardo Silva. Ronaldo was 21 and not the goal scorer and impact player he is now .Guedes looks similar to the 21 year old ronaldo. Figo was a great vet but he wasnt in his prime anymore, it was his last games for Portugal. And the bench options were, Hugo Viana, boa morte, postiga. Im saying as a whole this team is the best ive seen, most complete team, more complete to me than 2006, especially if an injury happens to a fwd or midfielder.

And they get the same predictions and underrated before every Euro, so the tournament doesnt matter, they are never considered a contender.

I dont have a problem we won one game in 90 minutes at the Euro. If we played like brazil did versus germany on 2014 would that have been better. Santos chose the best style he had with the players he had which is every coaches duty. Id rather qin ugly than lose pretty. I dont think this current portugal team will play like that, we have a lot more of a balanced team versus the euros.

We hit the bar versus Iceland, Austria, France, did that mean they deserved to lose lol? We hit the bar in extra time versus France, so were France lucky we didnt win with that goal instead of Eder's?.

PS Croatia didnt have a shot on goal the entire game versus Portugal. Not sure why they "deserved to beat Portugal"

Portugal had 24 shots on goal versus 4 to Iceland, bottom line is Portugal couldnt finish, just because they dominated possession and shot statistics doesnt mean Portugal deserved to win that game, if you dont take your chances then the result is the result.

tudobem62014 repped this.
  3. Willy4TLS

Willy4TLS New Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Ricardo was Portugal's best player in 2006 followed by Figo, a huge reason why they have reached the semifinals, he gave a standout performance against the Dutch as well the hero again for Portugal against England. But I agree Patricio a much better than Ricardo he showed an amazing ability with club and international level together.
    Maniche had a good impact for Portugal on two tournaments, how suddenly he become an average player? because nobody could see him playing regularly at Dynamo Moscow or Chelsea.
    Fernando Meira and Miguel deserve a mention, both played a solid to good World Cup.
    And finally there was an old-aged Figo. Despite that, he had a very good tournament and helped the team finish fourth.

4. Romka 18

Romka 18 Member

Liverpool FC
    England
    Oct 26, 2017
    For sure there is some pressure, this team is being fine tuned for the 2022 finals, it's just a kick about to get some tournament training in.

I'm joking of course, but, England did well in qualifications, a hard team to beat, all that's needed is a bit of luck, which in England's case means ,no dodgy goalkeeping, slip/ bad pass back from a defender ,and no pentalty shoot outs.
    With the likes of Phil Jones in the team, the usual clanger is to be expected.

tudobem62014 and Vialli-Toto repped this.
  5. Vialli-Toto

Vialli-Toto Member

Milan
    Italy
    Mar 26, 2018
    England could do well but obviously won't win it. They can beat anyone of whom they meet in the 2nd round and with a little bit of luck may go a step further.

That is best case scenario.

6. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Belgium.

This is the Golden Generation of Golden Generations. I don't know how much Kompany is going to be able to play, but you know he was going to make one boneheaded play this WC, so maybe his absence will be a plus. It all comes down to pressure. These guys know they are the BEST ever minnow team.

I do want them to win.

Re: Portugal

If Pepe is your best defender, you aren't winning anything.

Vialli-Toto and tudobem62014 repped this.
  7. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There is a stickied prediction contest if anyone is bold enough to fill out their bracket.

8. Borah

Borah Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Germany for me. They've got everything in all areas. But there's been no back to back winners since 1962 and the last 5 have all been different winners. Might be Argentina's time if Messi can get it together.

9. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think GERMANY or France

10. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany or France

11. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Russia are the host team... the hosts can win it all and have won it all 6/19 world cups. It’s a pretty good chance. Lately it happens every twenty years. 1978. 1998. 2018?

You heard it here first! Fox gonna steal myprediction reading these forums lol! I want credit!

12. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany, Brazil, Spain, France or the Messi's. Probably one of the first two given the chaos & drama surrounding the other 3 contenders.

13. Copadobrazil014

Jul 8, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Well looks like germany was overconfident

14. Sir_Artur

Sir_Artur Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I believe Portugal will win. I know I do not have sound reasons to think so but I do not know why I feel Portugal will win but I feel.

15. BrahmaBull

BrahmaBull Member

AS Saint-Etienne
    France
    May 7, 2014
    Italy
    Club:
    AS Saint Étienne
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    To be honest after seeing most of the team play once, we all know that we cannot judge anyone with just one match in mind, but many teams can win this world cup if everyone keep the level they showed so far :ROFLMAO:

But well, for sure Portugal, Spain, France, Brazil and probably Germany will step up next match in my opinion.
    I let a doubt on Germany because they always tend to do bad in second game and they face the harsh Swedes!

And Argentina I struggle to rate them as contenders honestly, despite how abysmal my own national team has been, they still managed to win, and Argentina, I find them abysmal since many months now, I thought they would maybe change when world cup starts, as it often happens to some nations, but they dont seem to.

16. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Germany have always won the first match before since 1982( they lost to Algeria that time), the second match Germany always try new formation and new players.The coach want to see if everything works. (people from Germany told me that) well i dont think they gonna try new formations etc this time.

17. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    #42 SF19, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    So far only Spain and Brazil have really impressed me. The quality these two teams possess all around the pitch is exceptional. Each and every player is capable of producing for their teams, although Brazil is dependent on Neymar. There are no weak points in their respective elevens. The only thing I'm not sure of is Hierro and whether Neymar can avoid injury.

Belgium are likely to prove they are serious contenders. They too have quality everywhere. Argentina, France, and Germany clearly have their work cut out for them, but like the aforementioned teams they have loads of quality and anyone player can prove the difference for them. I think their coaches have hampered them. Low, Deschamps, and Sampaoli have failed to find (or at least play) systems that work best for their respective teams. They will have to figure out what works and build confidence in the next two games if they are to stand any chance. Germany are in a very difficult spot right now and look most at risk of losing out in the first round, maybe second round if Brazil finishes first (and that's only if).

Teams like England, Portugal, Colombia, Croatia, Poland, Switzerland, Serbia, Mexico and Uruguay have an outside chance, but I don't think they have enough to really win the tournament. Only Croatia, from that group of teams, strikes me as being truly capable of winning it all. If you look at those other teams, only James and Ronaldo can really pull strings, but they favor going it alone and are more focused with their eyes on goal. At Croatia they have two players who can pull strings, Modric and Rakitic, and both prefer to let others finish off the moves they start. They're eyes are focused on spaces that have yet to open, not quite as much the goal frame. Moreover, they have the most complete team. Almost every position has a player of quality. They seem a little weak at CB, which is the one area that may prove their undoing, but even there Lovren plays at a high level. I do favor them to top Argentina in their group too.

18. Vialli-Toto

Vialli-Toto Member

Milan
    Italy
    Mar 26, 2018
    Russia have about a 1 in a 100 chance.

19. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    something tells me, that croatia can win it.

i thought they might be vulnerable in defence, but lovren and vida looked rock solid and vrsaljko is one of the better right backs of the tournament. the only week link seem to be strincic.

the midfield though is world class as we all know and they lined up 4 players strikers who rotate heavily.

the most convincing appearance so far, for me.

Vialli-Toto repped this.
  20. So what's the score Europe vs the rest of the World: 8 wins, 4 draws, 1 loss.

21. Copadobrazil014

Jul 8, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    2 losses poland senegal. Germany mexico

22. Oddo26

Oddo26 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    After this first round of matches I'm going Uruguay, Belguim, Croatia and England. Except France most of the usual suspects aren't doing so well.

23. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Uruguay can win or lose with any rival, you never know.

Germany's defeat will make them react positively.

24. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Belgium looks good. Maybe France. Cant rule out Brazil. The rest look like also rans.

25. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    croatia have it all. defense international class, midfield world class, strikers international class.