Who will win the world cup?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Vialli-Toto, Apr 2, 2018.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #26 falvo, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    It’s true Italy didn’t deserve it. The point I was making earlier is Italy should be protagonists every time the tournament is played. I stand by the fact that the over abundance of foreigners is killing the national team. Maybe not the league itself but the Italian player. We simply can’t continue to ignore or say that there Is no problem in having 2 or 3 Italian players starting on top Serie A clubs. I also don’t subscribe to the theory that all the foreigners are potentially better than Italians are or could be.

Just doing the math , three Italian players on average playing with the top 7 Serie A clubs total 21. That isn’t even enough to field a FIFA limit of 23. The way it is currently, you have to look at seldom used reserves or starters at SPAL , Sassuolo , Crotone and Benevento to find Italian players. When you are forced to choose those types of players, that certainly won’t win many World Cups...

LGRod repped this.
  2. Viola Star

Viola Star Member

Fiorentina
    Italy
    May 9, 2006
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Serie A squads
    99/00 (18 teams) 187 foreigners
    05/06 191 foreigners
    11/12 321 foreigners
    17/18 285 foreigners

Bundesliga (18 teams) 294 in 13/14
    Bundesliga (18 teams) 222 in 99/00

La Liga 212 in 07/08
    La Liga 216 in 99/00

La Liga has 207 foreigners and Bundesliga (18 teams) has 260 at the moment. Serie A squads tend to be bigger, so that bumps the numbers up a bit. There isn't really that much difference between Bundesliga, La Liga and Serie A in terms of squad foreigners. I agree there's too many in Serie A, but I'm not sure less of them will create a vacuum for star Italians to emerge from nowhere.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #28 falvo, May 18, 2018
    I don’t think they will always become stars. The point is if you have 7 foreign players on the field, the Italian player will never get a chance to even get to be a star or for that matter, improve or develop. If Baggio , DelPiero or Totti were coming in todays Serie A, there is a very good chance neither would have room to play. Heck looking at the way Roby was treated by all his coaches and teams twenty years ago, he would have been even more of an outcast today. Same goes for Totti and ADP.

Franco Sensi and Carlos Bianchi both wanted to sell Totti and purchase Jari Litmanen. That was 21 years ago. If that was true then, I can just imagine what would to happen today with Roma fielding a total of only 3 Italians per game.

4. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't know. In the end, it makes sense for managers to play their best and most talented players. Regardless the number of foreigners, if an Italian is talented, he's going to find his way into the lineup and play. I'm not sure I buy the lack of opportunity. If I'm a manager and I have two players.......one Italian and one foreigner......well I see both of these players in practice every single day. The best one is getting the majority of the minutes.

5. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I gotta say that my favorite part of the second leg when we tied 0-0, was after the final whistle, when Gustav Svensson made fun of Giampiero Ventura and said something like "I'm going to the World Cup as an MLS player, and you are not". Something like that. Having to do with Giovinco not being called up.

6. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Thanks!

7. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    I missed that!
    Ok but didnt Ventura said something to Gustav Svensson before he Said that?
    I dont like Gustav Svensson, the worst player we have in the squad.

8. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not sure, if Ventura said something before that. Maybe. I just read it somewhere after the game. When you say Svensson is the worst player, you mean actual player or in attitude?

9. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Player!

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #35 falvo, May 18, 2018
    I keep hearing that but I question how true this theory really is. Baggio was forced out of every squad he was in. Zola transferred from Parma to Chelsea by Ancelotti, ADP was benched by Fabio Capello and Totti was as good as gone until he scored a goal or two in a game I forget which one. That was 15-20 years ago and that was when Italy had 4 or 5 playmakers. There aren't any players today who are at the caliber of those guys and I don't see any on the horizon. Totti was just an up and coming player in 1997-1998. No one at the time thought he would end up playing 20+ years. If Carlos Bianchi stayed at Roma, Totti could have easily been expendable. Looking at how players switch squads and are transferred today, he will have never lasted 22 years at the same club.

11. Vialli-Toto

Vialli-Toto Member

Milan
    Italy
    Mar 26, 2018
    Germany

calabrese8, Rosay and falvo repped this.
  12. Vialli-Toto

Vialli-Toto Member

Milan
    Italy
    Mar 26, 2018
    Bye Bye Portugal. I can't stand their jealous inferior fans and they got what they deserved.When it comes to the world cup they never perform.

2 semi final appearances in their entire history hahahaha. Hardly even qualified for world cups and only starting doing so since 2002 on a regular basis and in that time

2002 - 1st round exit
    2006 - semis
    2010 - 2nd round
    2014 - 1st round
    2018 - 2nd round

Get back in your box and stfu ya jealous sissies.

Ciao

calabrese8 repped this.
  13. Vialli-Toto

Vialli-Toto Member

Milan
    Italy
    Mar 26, 2018
    They've never even made a world cup final hahahah they're always beating their own drum. They're forever in our shadow and they couldn't stand us win and go far at major comps.

PUSSIES!!!!!!!!

One win against Morocco and they were severely outplayed and the Africans denied a penalty. Portugal are shit.

1990, 1994, 1998 DID NOT QUALIFY

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

calabrese8 repped this.
  14. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You talk crap here and then you head over other team's forums and tell them how much more awesome they are than Italy lol whatever dude.

Rosay repped this.
  15. Vialli-Toto

Vialli-Toto Member

Milan
    Italy
    Mar 26, 2018
    HOLY SHIT NEWS JUST IN

PORTUGAL ARE FAVOURITES TO WIN THE WORLD CUP

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

16. Vialli-Toto

Vialli-Toto Member

Milan
    Italy
    Mar 26, 2018
    Portugal will win the final.

17. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    France will win.

Am I late?

And someone's sock...
    Pirlo Purity / Vialli Toto got red carded again? Shocked!