Who will win the world cup 2006?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Colm, Dec 11, 2005.

1. MDSoccerDude

MDSoccerDude Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Owings Mills, MD
    If you don't believe that your team can win, then what is the point in cheering for them. Why not just jump on the Brazil bandwagon and forget about your home team.

2. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Welcome to BigSoccer newbie. Cann't argue with that statement.:)

3. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah,let the FIFA rankings do the talking...........:D

You've proven my point , thank you.

4. bayern1

bayern1 New Member

Nov 3, 2003
    That is nonsense!
    You can cheer for any team you want but still be realistic.
    I'll be for Germany and Croatia but I don't think either of them will win.

5. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    It goes to show ya, two people can look at the same picture and come away w/ two different stories of what they saw.:)

6. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    While this is true , I have to ask : Are you really taking the FIFA rankings serious ?

7. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    You got me on that one.:)

8. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I would of voted for Brazil, but seriosuly i dont think they're going to win it this year. I voted for Portugal because of the way they played in Euro 2004 beating great European teams. I think they'll be very strong this year with C. Roanldo, Deco, Pauleta, and Figo helping (even though hes not what he use to be) hes a great contributor. I no alot of people dont agree but Portugal has over 1000 votes. Im not arguing about anyones opinion, we'll just have to see in June!!!

9. morpho_breaker

morpho_breaker New Member

Mar 18, 2006
    To be realistic, Brazil seems to be heavily favored to win this year's World Cup with the triple R threat: Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, and Robinho. However, Ronaldo seems to be injury prone, and that seems to be the one of the flaws of this team, even though they are simply too good. Even if they lose in the final, they will view it as failure. They are simply too good. However, if I see Brazil win this year, I'm going to be very disappointed because I want to see some underdog team who can provide some counter-attack to bring Brazil down! Rooting for Brazil feels like to me, rooting for the New York Yankees in baseball terms. If Brazil makes it to the finals, I would like to see them face Argentina. Now that would be an exciting match and I want Argentina to win because they're the underdog in this intense rivalry and need another trophy to match Italy's and Germany's and to catch up with Brazil.

Germany has a good chance of winning. Very good teams with home field advantage usually have a good shot in advancing.

I do think England has a really good shot, and I'll be happy to see them win since they have Wayne Rooney, David Beckham, Sol Campbell, Michael Owen, Rio Ferdinand... the list goes on and on. They have really good players, and the weapons to bring down Brazil, yet they haven't won a World Cup. They deserve another World Cup not only because England was the nation that started the sport in the first place, but have proved that they have the weapons they need to win. The only problem is whether the team members can get along with one another (Wayne Rooney has a short temper, and a possible rift between Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard).

France, I do not think has a shot, because the glory days of 1998 are over. The players are simply getting old. I would not be surprised to see South Korea beat France. If they were able to bring down European giants such as Portugal, Italy, and Spain, back in 2002, then I think they will find a way to beat France. Although South Korea had home field advantage in 2002, South Korea could still find a way to pull of that feat by using the methods to beat those European teams. I think South Korea could be a dark horse.

I really want to see the US win the World Cup personally, as an American. It's kind of embarassing to have a team where our women's team does so much better than ours! We have to prove that we're as good as our women as well! If the US makes it out of the Group of Death during this year's World Cup, that is, organize an effective and brutal counter-offensive against the Czech Republic, outplay Italy, and beat Ghana, then they would earn some respect, just like when they beat Portugal and Mexico in 2002. They would earn even greater respect if they also beat the 2nd best team from Group F (most likely Croatia or even Brazil).

I have no sympathy for Italy, I think they have the potential to screw up. Remember 2002? South Korea beat Italy 2-1. And Christian Vieri, Del Piero, Totti, and Zambrotta were all playing at that time. If South Korea can beat Italy, there is no excuse for the US to lose to Italy. South Korea is the only team that is even with the US.

I would also like to see Australia do well in this World Cup. To the person that said that Australia sucks, Australia beat Uruguay in order to get to the World Cup. Uruguay is the THIRD best team in South America overall in terms of history! That's a remarkable achievement, and if they can beat a powerful South American team, they could even bring down Croatia and Japan.

So my conclusion is:

Who will most likely win but don't want to see them win: Brazil or Germany
    Who I want to see win: USA or Australia
    Who I want to see win if thinking realistic: England or Argentina

10. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Almost there, and boy were the votes a bit off.:D

11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Out of curiosity, how can we see who we voted for. been awhile, and I've changed my mind countless times.

12. tutto_azzurri

tutto_azzurri New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    toronto
    only about 5.30% of the people that voted were smart enough to get the right answer.. im one of them!

13. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    France , the beaten finalist had only 2%, and Germany 4%. All underestimated in this poll.

14. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    When you look at the results, your choice is italicized

LoL @ 1000+ people picking the USA, LoL!!!!!

15. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    The only one that was close was Portugal that came in third place in the poll and fourth in the WC.

16. Pabs

Pabs Red Card

Jul 29, 2006
    Earth
    Re: listen

:p :p

anybody take him up on his offer ?

17. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005

You have to admit Italy didn't look fancied to win it before hand, the same way no-one thought Greece would win in Euro 2004.

18. Pabs

Pabs Red Card

Jul 29, 2006
    Earth

Depends what you mean by that. If you mean by on the pitch results, The WC Final was their 25th consecutive game without a loss.

If you mean because of what some corrupt managers at the clubs were up to, then no.

But on the pitch, the Italian team was definitely showing quality and form since October 2004.