Who will win the African Cup of Nations 2006?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by gaijin, Jan 10, 2006.

1. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
  2. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Right, I will go for Egypt. On home soil, usually very strong.

Cameroon are second favourites alongside Tunisia and Senegal. In that order.

The Tunisians will have a good following across from Libya and have been playing some good stuff under Lemerre.

Cameroon have one of the strongest squads out there, calling on Eto'o, Kameni, Geremi and Webo. :)

3. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    I think Ghana will put forward a good showing

4. Miss Webous

Miss Webous Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Club:
    Cruz Azul Hidalgo
    i would also say cameroon are favs. but somewhere i saw that eto might not play, due to barca or something like that, without eto, the team is not that strong

5. Legionista

Legionista New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Warszawa/Toronto
    I voted Ghana but Cameroon also has a good chance. Egypt will be strong at home but my bet is they wont win it

6. benito camelpene

May 31, 2003
    miami
    Cameroon with Eto leading the attack has my vote.

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Eygpt has two strong advantages: they're at home, and they're not trying to bring as many players back from Europe. It's not just folks like eto'o who are having issues (and he'll probably play) but when Senegal calls Sonko and he turns them down, it's a sign that a number of players have lost their belief in the necessity of this tournament (esp in a cup year). Tunisia and Morocco will also be strong in Eygpt, and while cameroon, nigeria and senegal have something to prove after failing to qualify, they're also pretty discouraged.
    Egypt wins at home, and in a northern final.

8. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Hopefully the bonus disputes will be sorted. But can you image Wayne Rooney or Thierry Henry not playing for their team at their Confederation title tournament because of bonus payments and the like.

Its a complete joke. Wenger and his comments don't impress me either. You reap what you sow if you field a team full of African players imo.

I'm surprised Tunisia have not got many votes.

I think they are really strong under Lemerre. And they will be playing in North Africa which will suit them and their style of play.

As for Ghana, they are missing some big names (Gyan, Muntari and Essien) so I think they will be severely hindered in their quest to win.

9. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  10. WayneRooneyIsFat

WayneRooneyIsFat New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    NYC, NY
    Though I agree with your "reap what you sow" comment, I don't fault Wenger for saying what he's saying. He's paid by Arsenal; his job is to do what's best for Arsenal, not what's best for the Ivory Coast.

On the topic at hand, I voted for Senegal, mainly because (1) they're not in the WC finals so this is the biggest tournament of the year, (2) they haven't lost a match since June 2004, and (3) I had a Senegalese cab driver a few weeks ago who spent a half hour telling me (after I asked) how good the team is. Not the greatest reasons, I admit, but when you live in the USA, media coverage of African national teams is, shall we say, sparse.

11. PSoccer

PSoccer New Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I agree - Senegal.

12. These are HUGE absences and Ghana can not pretend that these will not affect them negatively.......

13. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Cameroon, the upcoming summer will be the first WC in 16+ years they don't play in. They'll want to give the country a redemption Cup.

14. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I voted Côte d'Ivoire but Tunisia can make a good run also.

15. toneroll

toneroll New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    mancunian in FL
    cameroon for me ta. eto'o wants to win something other than la liga this year

16. fischetts

fischetts New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Long Island/Baltimor
    Forgive my ignorance, but since all the other countries are in their common English name, why is the ivory coast listed as Côte d'Ivoire?

Am I missing something? Is the proper name of the Ivory Coast the Côte d'Ivoire?

17. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Wikipedia can probably answer it better than I can...

Officially - Cote d'Ivoire
    Unofficially in English - Ivory Coast

18. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    cote d'ivoire!!!!

19. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Côte d'Ivoire!

You forgot the circumflex!!!

20. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

:p :) ...

21. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    I was in a rush :p

22. Brentfordcanary

Brentfordcanary New Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Norfolk, UK
    Tunisia for me!

23. johnmatrix

johnmatrix New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I would have to say Cameroon, with a strong challenge from Côte d'Ivoire.

24. MyHouse!

MyHouse! Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Tallahassee
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cameroon have the strongest squad but the question persists as woo whether psychologically, they've recovered from their WCQ exit.