Who will win the 2011-12 Concacaf Champions League?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by billyboy23, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Mamiferos United

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Now relax the sphincter because Big Daddy Santos is up next :p

2. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Why are you claiming those world series wins Labatts owned the Jays in 92-93, 93-94? I guess my point went over your head no matter how much money Toronto's owners have spent in other sports they have not won anything since at least the 60's.

3. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    No it doesn't. If you remove the constraints, the league won't even exist. The constraints are there for a reason. The reason is that without them, teams will go into debt and fold, and the league will collapse like its predecessor. So you're pretty wrong.

It's like a toddler saying "Take off these training wheels and I'll go 30 mph!". If you take off the training wheels, the toddler will fall off. If you take off your league's restraints, your league will fold.
    Ok, but in 1992, Lakers games were cancelled due to the Rodney King riots. And Heat games were cancelled due to rioting in Miami. Not to mention last year's Vancouver riots. And Blue Jays home game being moved because of wild Torontonians protesting the G8. Not very civilized.

4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Discovered an interesting fact. A Mexican win this year would set a new (sole) world record in terms of winning streak for a confederation's premier club competition. Right now it's tied at six with England:

- 6 England (1977-1982)
    - 6 Mexico (2006-Present)

5. B2TO

B2TO Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Dallas / Monterrey
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Interesting fact.. but man, there should be not comparison at all... in Europe you have very strong teams in every single league... it's a zillion times harder for a single federation to win it's confederation tournament repeatedly every year.

Even in south america, you have two soccer powers, Brazil and Argentina with very strong teams, and a few more really good clubs from Uruguay, Paraguay and Ecuador.

But in CONCACAF it's just pathetic, central american teams are just awful... maybe Saprissa being the exception. MLS... well, the media tries so hard in selling it, ESPN Deportes has the rights to show the Concacaf Champions League in Latin America so they contribute to the hype, but year after year the MLS fails so badly.

6. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Neither have 99.9% of the other clubs. I'm incapable of missing points.

7. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You're ********ing joking right? Do you even want to head down that path? Comparing sport related violent crime incidents one by one? LOL!!!!! Now who's delusional? Do yourself a favour and don't even bother responding. You can't win.

8. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    MLSE didn't even exist in the 60's. The Leafs won the cup in 67. TFC is 5 years old heading into its 6th season. The Raptors are 17 years old. Oh and the NHL and NBA also have salary caps. That's why I used Barca/Real Madrid as examples of free spending. There aren't any caps whatsoever. Zero. Zilch. Nada. I'm assuming the Primera is the same. Why do you think Barca, Real Madrid, Man United, now Man City, Juve, Milan etc. are all top performers? They have the cash to spend. It's that simple really.

9. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Don`t compare Libertadores with the Champions League.

anyway its still going to be a world record.....somebody call Guiness!! :D

10. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The race for the Pichichi is getting good!!

1. Jorge Barbosa 6 goals
    2. Chupete Suazo 5
    2. O. Peralta 5
    2. C. Suarez 5
    2. R. Johnson 5
    2. A. Carreño 5
    7. M. Bravo 4
    7. C. Quintero 4
    7. E. Herrera 4
    7. J. Plata 4
    11. H. Gomez 3
    11. C. Ochoa 3

and all still in the CCL except for Barbosa`s team

11. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    I already won. You didn't give a coherent response.

Anyway, Canadian fans are usually respected, unlike yank fans. You don't want to be seen in the same light yanks are.

12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    It's not a comparison, it's an observation about CONCACAF's club game. The fact that we are looking at a new world record in the making re-emphasises that CONCACAF is the most lopsided (uncompetitive) confederation at present.

From a historical point of view things might be different had the Australia-led OFC organized more club competitions at the time. But then again Mexico could have lined up six in a row in previous decades with a bit more interest in the Champions Cup.

13. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't think you've used the term "coherent" correctly. An incoherent sentence would imply that there are inconsistencies in my point. There were none.

"Sport related violent criminal behaviour" is a reference to...you probably guessed it...sport related violent criminal behaviour. That means mass hooliganism, murder, theft etc. That seems to happen quite frequently in Mexico over say the US or Canada. Granted, we've had the odd riot (Vancouver) here and there as has the US (Penn State) but - and correct me if I'm wrong - I don't see dozens of people being murdered in the process. That's not necessarily the case in Mexico.

Now, citing any "riot" through political protest is unfair for two reasons: 1. it has nothing to do with sport (the context of the current discussion) and 2. the majority of those rioters weren't even from Toronto or the GTA. In short keep politics out of this. There's no need for either of us to make any reference to reports of 69 people being gunned down in a single afternoon or the discovery of murder training camps involving the cartels. It's just not warranted in the scope of this conversation, agreed?

Let's keep it sport related and friendly. Like my original post.

Now, Mexican pundits are well respected in these parts, so please keep it that way by not shitting on MLS. It has grown and will continue to do so. To suggest otherwise is just plain wrong. Thanks!

14. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    When were dozens murdered in sport-related violence?

Well, your league gets laughed at because of its inferior level, among other reasons. But yeah, this isn't the forum for wanton laughing or acting the way Paulinho did a few pages up.

I expect TFC to give SL a tough fight in their semifinal.

15. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Agreed. MLS overall quality is definitely inferior to that of the Primera. I would easily concede that point. I would also state that the Primera is the top league in North America overall. :)

16. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says who?

17. RRS94

RRS94 New Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Monterrey
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So what? mexican teams have foreign players cap and nobody talks about that, imagine if mls teams played with only 5 foreign players, that would be though no? each league has it's own caps you shouldn't use it as a excuse. but in topic i do agree mls has grown. greetings

18. Pink Party

Pink Party New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Any latino who has dealt with crap comments like "mow my lawn" after another one of their little teams gets demolished. Canadians are a lot more classy.

Reading the mmls forum it's hillarius how some of them are simply not able to admit that the Primera is a level above. Talk about denial! ROFL! :D:D:D

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it would be the equivalent of FMF fans thinking Mexican clubs are at the same level as Brazilian clubs, just because they get a few draws and wins once in a while.

Now you do find some that are in denial about Mexican clubs being better or equal to Argentina clubs, now that denial is a little more justified since Argentina FA is only a little better than the FMF.

20. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I got Santos winning it.

Quintero is healthy while Pumas and Monterrey are going to beat up on each other.

21. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is mmls?

22. Mamiferos United

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

1) You will not find many Mexicans claming that FMF is better than the Argentina 1st Division

2) Mexican clubs have a significant lead vs. Argentinian clubs in head to head competition since FMF began competing in Libertadores & Sudamericana. I don't know where the numbers stand right now but when I compiled the a few years back Mexican clubs had won 2 matches for every Argie victory.

Perhaps it is the modesty of Mexican culture compared to the punkish, trash talking nature of American culture... but Mexicans are very restrained in such comparisons... for one... the Argie clubs win a lot of hardware that the Mexicans haven't. Are the Mexican clubs handicapped in CONMEBOL tournaments (rules regarding teams from the same league in semi finals, home & home matches in the decisive stages having to be closed in South America, the reffing etc.,).... yeah it seems like it. But Mexicans wait to decisively prove something on the field before saying "Gringo Wall of Shame" worthy crap.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have heard and argues against some that claim FMF is equal to the Argentina FA; I say they are close (were close) but Argentina is sitll a little better "overall".

Oh come on dude, you know that is not true, perhaps the USA has more since it is in our culture to be #1 and talk shit even when we are not #1, but you will find some in the BS Mexico and around other parts.

But perhaps that only affects my fellow American-Mexicans that post around this parts.

Well so far Chile has moved ahead based on results in Copa Libertadores, Colombia, Uruguay and Mexico are pretty much tied for 4th best.

2011 vs Argentina
    W-D-L
    1-0-1

2011 vs Chile
    0-0-0

2010 vs Argentina
    2-1-3

2010 vs Chile
    1-1-0

2009 vs Argentina
    1-2-1

2009 vs Chile
    1-0-1

2008 vs Argentina
    3-2-3

2008 vs Chile
    2-1-1

2007 vs Argentina
    2-0-2

2007 vs Chile
    2-0-2

2006 vs Argentina
    1-1-0

2006 vs Chile
    3-0-1

2005 vs. Argentina
    3-1-2

2005 vs Chile
    2-0-0

I used wikipedia, perhaps my totals are not 100% correct. But you may want to correct your 2 wins per every Argentina win, at least since 2005, perhaps before 2005, I did not go back more than that to check.

Since 2005 vs ARG
    13-7-14

Since 2005 vs CHI
    11-2-7

24. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I didn't know that. However, your 5 fp's could theoretically be payed significantly more than all 8 of ours (DP slots would account for 3, still giving you 2 more optional foreigners with exceptional skill). As well you don't have the same fiscal restraints that we do outside of that. One more thing (and this is a testament to Mexican quality overall). You have a tremendous national talent pool to choose from as well.

Look, there's no doubt in anyone's mind that the Primera is tops in Concacaf. Anyone who disputes that is a fool. I'm simply arguing that the $2.8-2.9 salary cap hinders the quality of the product on the field to a certain degree. Wouldn't you agree?

25. Mamiferos United

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

But the Central Americans could also make that argument Ad Naseum... if you compare results on a Per Payroll basis... the Central American clubs own the underperforming, gutless, mentally weak, whiny, entitled MLS clubs.