Who will win the 2011-12 Concacaf Champions League?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by billyboy23, Sep 14, 2011.

1. billyboy23

billyboy23 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    My vote goes to Santos Laguna

2. B2TO

B2TO Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Dallas / Monterrey
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think Monterrey will take the tourney again... (even if I dislike them)
    I'm sure by next year Monterrey's crisis will be over.

3. Talisman

Talisman Member+

Aug 5, 2011
    Stamford, CT
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'll go with Santos.

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Certainly not Dallas. ;)

5. haitifrancepsg

haitifrancepsg New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Torcy, Île-de-France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    As a supporter, how does the mindset of players, managers and supporters evolve regarding CCL? Do they take it very seriously with the objective of winning it for its "prestige" or do they consider it just like a springboard to the CWC and don't care about winning it or are they indifferent about it and if they win, well, and if they lose never mind?

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are a little more into it than at first, but not much, is good for the young players, since many of them see PT.

Not at all.

With out the CWC, many teams would not even bother to participate.

Well, it is a star on the uniforms of Mexican teams, and it gets a team to the CWC, but I am sure most Mexican teams would trade a CCL championship for a Libertadores Championship in a second.

Realistically, they are the teams that have always won and will win this competition.

7. haitifrancepsg

haitifrancepsg New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Torcy, Île-de-France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Which teams take the most seriously the tournament among the quarterfinals and have more conviction to win the competition?

8. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think they all equally take it seriously. The mexican teams win it because they are better.

9. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I have heard club presidents of mexican teams say the CCL is just as important as the league. I never heard that before when it was still the CCC.

So basically the prestige of the tourney has gone up.

10. ECSounder00

ECSounder00 New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Initially I was hoping for a Santos vs. Sounders final but obviously that can't happen now... As a HUGE Seattle Sounders fan my heart says Sounders are going to win it... But honestly as much as it hurts to say it, I think it's going to be either LA Galaxy, Pumas, or Santos, with the edge going to Santos, just because they have been so impressive in the Champions league so far this year...

The MLS teams are going to be in Pre-season form so that is obviously going to hurt our chances, but I think they shall be prepared and fit enough, but lacking in that specific touch of the ball that only comes from teams that have been playing in actual competitive games...

That being said if the Sounders play like the can, with their explosive offense then you can't count them out, not to mention their confidence along with the Galaxy, is growing big time which is SO important in competitions like this, where the Mexican teams are obvious favorites.

11. ECSounder00

ECSounder00 New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The Mexican Primera as a league is a better and stronger league than the MLS, but that gap is quickly closing. Mexican's have a LOT of pride when it comes to their footballing heritage, and their talented league/teams, and you can't say enough about the importance of that fact when it comes to confidence in games, and the will to win(especially against USA teams).

So I don't know if MLS will ever completely close the gap or surpass the Mexican Primera, because Mexico and football are synonymous...

12. Mamiferos United

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I am pretty sure even a QF appearance in the Libertadores carries far more prestige than winning the CCL with all due respect to the regional competitors... I think the attendance numbers would usually reflect it.

I would bet that a team like Cruz Azul or Guadalajara would get much greater attendance & ratings for even a Libertadores 2nd Round Match than a CCL Final

13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Far more prestige according to whom?

14. Mamiferos United

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    According to the global football press & the fans who make the world turn... and actually spend time & money following the teams that could dispute a CCL Final or Libertadores QF

I was in Mexico City when Cruz Azul & Atlante disputed the Final in 2009... local league matches got more attention & hype... at the cantinas, oyster bars & taco stands no one really give it much attention.

Meanwhile even Libertadores group matches get the everybody's attention... even where I hangout which are all rabidly Anti-Club America... UNAM territory.. when a brazilian team came to play against them... everybody was talking about it... some of us hating on the team, some of us supporting the Mexican squad... the point is that outside of the Northern Mexican teams which are a bit different because they are small, have no history & haven't won anything at the International level... the CCL hardly registers

15. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Oh yeah remember when one of the Salt Lake players, I think it was the Argentine, said the 2nd leg of the final was the match of his life. Even people at MLS were calling it the most important game in the history of MLS; and it was.

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luaO25NSimM"]#MLS4RSL: MLS Shows Support for Real Salt Lake - YouTube[/ame]

So how about a #CONCACAF4MONTERREY video? :D

17. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a mexican team.

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Pachuca is the only team that has won an official International tournament right? (Outside Concacaf)

I mean sure friendly international tournaments but official FIFA/Conmebol Tournaments?

19. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Well America and Pumas have won the Copa Interamericana.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure but that was like a friendly tournament, Superliga like.

Then again DC United did win the last one, maybe that is why it stopped being played :D

But you are right, if the Intercontinental cup counts, I guess that InterAmericana should also.

So Concacaf International Champion teams. (outside of Concacaf)

America - 2
    UNAM
    Pachuca
    DC United

21. Mamiferos United

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Are you saying the Copa Interamericana was not an official International tournament?

Whether it is mistaken or not, the UNAM, Chivas, Cruz Azul, America (and I will throw in Pachuca as well) fanbase have the mystic that these are times that are important internationally and are used to seeing them compete against teams from better leagues such as in Libertadores etc., For our fan bases we certainly aren't impressed by winning anything in CONCACAF, our sights are set much higher whether or not it is accomplished... our teams have long histories of winning... and neither Monterrey, Tigres or Santos can say that even if they have become competitive teams in the domestic & CONCACAF tournaments.

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SwissGCZ pointed that out to me.

Again only 3 Mexican teams have won any "championships" in international football.

Sure the huge media bias that does exist in Mexico (most sport publishers, TV networks being from the capital) does make many people think that only UNAM, Blue Cross, American and Chivas matter in Mexican soccer. I do understand that.

23. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    of course

everyone knows the final is going to be Santos vs Pumas/Morelia/Monterrey

believe it

chalk 1 more continental title for the good guys!

unless pumas wins it, then its 1 more for the bad guys.

24. B2TO

B2TO Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Dallas / Monterrey
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well my friend, I don't know who is going to win this 2011-12 Concacaf "Champions" League, But I know who will win the 2012-13!!! :D:D
    [​IMG]

25. Mamiferos United

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Lucas Lobos looks like he is about to give that dude a hand job... no wonder they have such good locker room chemistry :D