Who will win Russia 2018?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Every Four Years, Aug 23, 2015.

?

Who will win Russia 2018?

1. Germany

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. Argentina

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. Netherlands

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Uruguay

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Brazil

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. Colombia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Chile

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  8. Italy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Portugal

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  10. Spain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. France

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  12. England

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  13. Belgium

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  14. Russia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Croatia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Other

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Since 1970, Italy has made the final every 12 years, alternately losing (both times to Brazil) and winning:

1970: Italy 1-4 Brazil

1982: Italy 3-1 Germany

1994: Italy 0-0 Brazil (2-3 on penalties)

2006: Italy 1-1 France (5-3 on penalties)

So, if this pattern holds, Italy will make the final in 2018, and will lose, probably to Brazil.

Cannoligol and tudobem62014 repped this.
  2. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Brazil wins 2-0 over Italy.

3. RobinVanRobben

May 1, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    RvP and Depay dropped for now. Changes!?

4. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    It will have been 60 years since Brazil (or any South American team) won a world cup in Europe....personally I can't see it...

5. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm doubting whether South American teams will continue to stay at the top.

6. Cannoligol

Cannoligol New Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    AC Siena
    You're a fool if you think south American teams, more notably Brasil and Argentina will fall away. No chance what so ever Brasil won't continue to produce outstanding talent. They're the best team in the history of the game and will always remain at the top.

7. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    That would be almost nothing compared to the over 100 years it took an european team to win, its first ever in South America, and that only happened last year...
    :p

8. Cannoligol

Cannoligol New Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    AC Siena
    ******** off with your Europe vs south America shit. Aren't of some shit origin anyway you ********ing moron.

9. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Which is fairly recently compared to 1958...:rolleyes:

10. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Brazil 1-7 Germany......Brazil 0-3 Netherlands.....in the fcuking World Cup...in Brazil...!! worst back to back performances by ANY host nation in the history of the World Cup...Brazil USED to be great. Not so much any more. World's worst losers...every single time....world's dirtiest team when thing aren't going well...every single time...:rolleyes:

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    A bit of cherry picked stat. Bottom line, the weakest Brasil team ever still made the semis.

They're not great, that's true, but I have to say Brasil are a bit underestimated right now. People going on as if they're rubbish while they have guys like Neymar, Marcelo, Willian, Marquinos, Danilo and Costa all hitting their prime now or soon they. They bottomed out (even though that 'bottom' was still 3 rounds further than England) and seem to be rising now. They are most definitely a threat to win. Just need to keep their composure when things get tense....

12. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Wrong. I was at Goodison Park in Liverpool in 1966 on a rainy mid week evening to watch Brazil get taken to the cleaners by Hungary. THAT was the worst Brazilian team as they never made it out of the group stage...

13. mwjppgr

mwjppgr Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Doesn't mean they were the worst. They just under-achieved. And advancing from the group-stage was far tougher to do back in '66.

Anyway, you missed my point by a distance only slightly less than the distance between England and a second world cup.

thedragonrik58 repped this.
  15. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Russia will, since Putin will blackmail all the refs, and make sure whomever is playing Russia gets food poisoning.

16. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Why blackmail them when he can just have them show up dead 'from mysterious circumstances' in some stairwell in Moscow...?

17. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    They were a great team, but they went cold like Colombia in 1994. Get it right lol

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Geez, did you just watch the James Bond film or was the propaganda that bad during the era in which you grew up in?

totti fan repped this.
  19. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to look up what happened to Alexander Litvinenko. They still do that sort of stuff.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I doubt that politicians care that much about a sport to take things that far. The most suspicious things we've seen so far in WCs are:
    - 2002 Korea (dodgy call after dodgy call. Suspicious that a team that never did anything at the WC stage reaches the semis when they're hosting)
    - 1978 Argentina (6-0 wins happen but not usually at the precise moment you need one. Suspicious to say the least)
    - 1966 England (Again, a little suspicious that a team that never came close to winning a WC wins when they're hosting. Phantom goal too).

21. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't think Russia cares enough about sports to use intimidation and underhanded tactics? I'm not saying they'll kill people like england66 mentioned in jest. But Russians do some shady stuff to athletes and those that oppose their athletes.

I was trying to find an article I remembered from a couple years back about Russian clubs reneging wages and when the players didn't agree to it, bad stuff happened. This wasn't really the article I was looking for, but does illustrate the point. It even links to the story about Nikola Nikezic.
    http://backpagefootball.com/living-edge-footballers-threat-russia/99740/

22. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    This is their funny response:
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/athletics/34785562

Maybe he's a tiny bit right in fact (remember 1966 and ephedrine; or 1990s Juve and the Rome lab if ones likes) but unintentionally he's admitting guilt all the time. It's a bit funny. Wenger too, for whom has missed.
    http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football...-a-blind-eye-to-doping_sto4987055/story.shtml

themightymagyar repped this.
  23. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I'm only 31, I don't really remember either of those stories. But thanks for the info anyway.

24. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Then you obviously don't know much about Vladmir Putin...

england66 repped this.
  25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Today, it'd be easy to say Germany. Good talent and great structure. But 4 years is a long time and only Brazil in 58 and 62 has repeated as champions. The closest anyone has come since then was Brazil in 98 and Argentina in 90. Both reached the finals in struggling fashion (Argentina more so than Brazil).

France looked like clear favorites in 02 and the team fell apart with Zidane's injury. Brazil looked like clear favorites in 2006 with amazing talent on paper and great WCQ form but the team was clearly unfocused and not hungry. Italy didn't make it out of 2010 group stage. And in 2014, Spain looked sure to challenge for the back-to-back title with a golden generation still playing well only to bow out in the group stage.

Brazil is starting to look promising talent wise. Still would be nice for a real striker to pop up. So if coaching can find a good system to get the best out of the upcoming talent, they will be contenders.

France is also looking promising talent wise.

Argentina will have to go through some reformulation. They were already one of the oldest if not the oldest team in 2014.

Spain will also need to inject some young blood into the team as the golden generation has gone by. Not sure I seen enough there.

Italy is always hard to predict but I don't see them having a chance.

Outside of the main favorites it's really tough to call out another team. I see some saying Colombia, but for these countries, depth is always an issue. Plus WC 2014 flattered them based on an easy group. In CA 15 they already looked fairly average.