Who will win Russia 2018?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Every Four Years, Aug 23, 2015.

?

Who will win Russia 2018?

1. Germany

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. Argentina

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. Netherlands

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Uruguay

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Brazil

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. Colombia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Chile

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  8. Italy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Portugal

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  10. Spain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. France

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  12. England

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  13. Belgium

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  14. Russia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Croatia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Other

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    This is very premature, I know, but who do you think will win Russia 2018? I think it will probably be another European country, though I'm not sure which one quite yet.

2. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I honestly think Colombia will take it. They more likely will still be a seed, be in another accessible group, and will crown themselves World Cup champs. If not them, maybe Netherlands or Germany retains the title.

3. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Interesting. Colombia is definitely a good team, but I still see them as dark horses at this point, just like Chile and Belgium. But what do I know? I'm certainly no football pundit.

thedragonrik58 repped this.
  4. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    I liked what I saw of Colombia in Brazil. After a little while, I actually kind of wanted them to win the whole thing. So, I was kind of disappointed to see them go despite having been a Brazil fan at the start of the tournament. I fell in love with Colombia and Chile during the 2014 World Cup. Beautiful, attacking football.

dna77054 and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  5. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I was rooting for Mexico, but after they were eliminated, I was rooting for Colombia and Costa Rica. Such a shame to see both of them eliminated in the QF's.

Every Four Years repped this.
  6. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Mexico were pretty good too. I remember rooting for you guys against the Netherlands. Very, very unlucky. Were you bitter about the penalty?

7. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    For awhile yes. But then I remembered that the game is 90+ min, where you must outscore your opponent. If you don't, then you weren't good enough. No excuses.

8. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    I guess that's a positive way to think about it. It's a shame, though, that Mexico can never seem to get past the Round of 16. I hope they can make the quarters for once in Russia.

9. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    They made it to the 5th game in 86, that was the first and last time up till now. And I think they can make it with the right coach, but knowing how our federation operates, I doubt they'll get one.

10. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    I know. I meant they haven't done so in recent times. 1986 is kind of a long time ago. They also made it to the quarters in 1970, if I remember correctly, but there were only 16 teams then, so they only needed to get out of their group to make the quarters. There was no Round of 16 game to play.

thedragonrik58 repped this.
  11. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    By the way, how do you rate Mexico's chances in the Confederations Cup qualifying playoff against the USA? I know it's not really related to this thread, but since it seems it's just the two of us anyway.

12. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    We will lose, our interim coach is a bunkerball strategist who plays for ties. Except that nobody bunkers better in CONCACAF than the USA.

13. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    According to Wikipedia, the game's being played in the Rose Bowl. Is that basically a home game for you guys?

14. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yes. But the USA is used to being the away team all around the world, and still pick up wins. Yes, the last time they faced Mexico in the Rose Bowl, Mexico won 4-2. However, that was the last time they made the mistake of playing toe to toe against Mexico. They haven't made that mistake since, which in turn has led to them being unbeaten against Mexico since.

15. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    The USA's been pretty shit recently though. It'll be interesting to see if they can maintain their undefeated streak against Mexico.

16. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    True, but you must remember that USA brings their absolute best against Mexico.

17. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    By the way, why did your federation fire Miguel Herrera? I remember reading something about him punching a journalist, but that still seemed like an odd reason to me.

18. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yup, that was the reason. Unfortunately, sports journalists are protected in Mexico as they all journalists are in the USA. So he was fired upon the altercation.

19. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Were you unhappy with the federation's decision? Would you have liked to see him stay? Who would you like to see coaching Mexico going forward?

20. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yes and no. I hate how the journalists call the shots in Mexico. But Piojo Herrera was not exactly a very good tactician, and some of his call ups were dubious. If he would have shown more tactical prowess, I would have wanted him to stay. But he was fired for a completely bullcrap reason.

21. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Do people in Mexico care about the Confeds Cup? Will it be considered a disaster if they don't make it?

22. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's a divided opinion. Some say yes, some say no, but what does matter is World Cup Qualifying. We have an interim for 4 games, but what the federation seems to forget is a month later, WCQ starts for Mexico. If Tuca Ferretti is indeed an interim , we are screwed on those two WCQ matches since we'll have less than a month to announce a permanent coach. If he is kept for the entire cycle, we will more likely not qualify or barely qualify like last World Cup. We want someone that will make us play dominant for years to come.

23. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Any idea who the new coach will be once Ferretti's interim period ends?

24. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Nope. Although I'd like it to be Marcelo Bielsa.

25. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico