Who will win Group E?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by sarabella, Apr 16, 2006.

1. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect that Italy will advance, and I picked them to win the group even though they sometimes don't look too focused in the first round of tournaments. I don't know who will join them - Czechs or US. Any of the 3 could win the group, although I don't expect the US to win it. To me, the Czechs and the US are both wild cards here - either could play just ok and get knocked out or could play very well and finish 2nd - or even first. I don't expect much from Ghana. They have some very good players but not enough, certainly not in this group.

2. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    Well you guys do know that the czech goalie is if not the best or one of the best in the world!

3. JLZ286

JLZ286 Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Ann Arbor
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Well thats news to me, I mean its not like he plays for the richest, most popular club team in the world.:rolleyes:

4. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think the problem is the question is who will win the group, NOT who do you THINK will win the group. Clearly the Italians and Czech are on a whole nother level or two better then the US at the least. The USA can pull off an upset and sneak into the next round, but the question was who will win the group. when the usa beats out czech its understandable, but italy too? that just shows the legitimacy of this poll

5. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    That's exactly what happened four years ago and that's why people are optimistic this time around.

BUT this will be a very different World Cup than 2002 and the US is 0-5 in World Cups played in Europe against European teams.

quick refresher:

1-2 to Austria
    0-1 to Italy
    1-5 to Czechs
    0-2 to Germany
    0-1 to Yugoslavia

A win, a tie and a bad loss won't get the U.S. through this year.

6. USASoccerFanatic

Jul 8, 2004
    But the U.S. has a much deeper and talented team than in previous years. I think two ties and a win is also realistic, and they will probably get 2nd in the group.

7. USMNT 10

USMNT 10 New Member

Apr 6, 2006
    SFCA
    Hopefully we'll catch the Italians on a bad day, which happens to them often in the group stages of these tournaments. Maybe the combining of so many talented "galacticos" will have the same affect it has on Real Madrid....too many big egos that clash and fail. The Czech's are loaded, and to get the ball past their world class keeper will be difficult considering the poor finishing of the US recently. Still, the US is usually the fittest team playing and hopefully they will play with cohesion and tenacity and upset somebody to advance, or maybe even win the group, so they avoid playing Brasil in knockout round. Pray for US!!

8. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    This is a complete misconception.

I went back to the 1970 World Cup and Italy has lost a grand total of three games in the first round, which isn't exactly that "often." If U.S. or Czech or Ghana fans are pinning their hopes on that bull shit theory, then they will be mistaken.

Italy 2:0 Ecuador
    Italy 1:2 Croatia
    Italy 1:1 Mexico

Italy 2:2 Chile
    Italy 3:0 Cameroon
    Italy 2:1 Austria

Italy 0:1 Ireland
    Italy 1:1 Norway
    Italy 1:1 Mexico

Italy 1:0 Austria
    Italy 1:0 USA
    Italy 2:0 Czechoslovakia

Italy 1:1 Bulgaria
    Italy 1:1 Argentina
    Italy 3:2 Korea

Italy 0:0 Poland
    Italy 1:1 Peru
    Italy 1:1 Cameroon

Italy 2:1 France
    Italy 3:1 Hungary
    Italy 1:0 Argentina

Italy 3:1 Haiti
    Italy 1:1 Argentina
    Italy 1:2 Poland

Italy 1:0 Sweden
    Italy 0:0 Uruguay
    Italy 0:0 Israel

9. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe they're just a fan and are voting with their heart.

Is there something wrong with that, or can only everyone else root for their favorite teams?

10. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

Dam Mexico doesn't seem to let Italy walk over them with pride!:D

11. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    buwahaha
    1) Hopefully is the key word, and Italy doesnt have many if any bad days
    2) They are no Real Madrid, whole different class of a team right now, should never be compared to Real unless you are talking about history.
    3) Yes the Czech Republic is loaded, atleast a USMNT fan noticed there are two mega-super clubs in this group (other than the US of course, lol)
    4) Fitness level doesnt really matter it gets thrown out the window, because some of the squads players get more rest than the others, some are still in form from the end of their seasons, or fatigued because of being in season.
    5) Italy and Czech are clearly a few classes better than the USA, US can get thru with an upset tho. and if anyone refers to how highly ranked the US is, its because the Fifa governing body sees the opportunity to gain from the US being successful. The USA has no "number 1" sport, so if they can get some fans they will be making lots of money. So dont get to hyped up on the rankings folks

12. Idahoquakesfan

Idahoquakesfan New Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Didn't any of you see the Czechs in the qualifiers. Ruud Van Horsyface and the rest of the Netherlanders smoked them twice. Granted, the Netherlands are awesome(my World Cup pic), but are we really supposed to be intimidated by a team which considers Milan Baros one of it's best players?

13. WayneRooneyIsFat

WayneRooneyIsFat New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    NYC, NY
    Unless someone breaks into the Italian team's hotel and switches their hair care products around, I can't see anyone beating them in group play; in fact, I'm not sure anyone in Group E will score on them. If you made an all-star team based on the 4 teams in this group, solely based on individual talent, I think you'd have 7-9 Italians. This is not to say they're unbeatable, just that they have far and away the most talent.

14. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    I can't wait to see Mexico vs Holland in Psv stadium it will be Mexico's last tune up game before the world cup what a game that will be Borgetti up against Rudd Van..

15. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe there's a rating system out there that ranks the Italians ahead of the Czechs. FIFA, ELO and all of the others I've seen agree that results over the last 4 years or so have been stronger for the Czechs than they have been for the Italians.

Sure the Italians have been much better historically, but last I checked Paolo Rossi and Roberto Baggio aren't playing for them this time around, so whatever happened 24 years ago and 12 years ago doesn't have much relevance.

16. HattrickStriker

Feb 19, 2006
    Area 51 & 52
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be Italy to win the group. The US can possibly squeak by into second, but I have some doubts about that going up against the Czechs. The tourney is in Europe where Da Bruce cannot quite seem to figure out how to beat top European squads, and there are two of them they have to beat--not forgetting Ghana who we should be able to beat.

We can get some draws against Italy and Czechs, but we will have to be playing lights out. But, who really knows?!

Play the games, then we'll see. :cool:

17. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley
    Go post this sh it in the Mexican forum, no one gives a fluck about Borgeti

18. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

alot of your fellow American followers do I see some of them in the Mexican forums! wonder why you have a yellow card..:rolleyes:

19. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    he's right though...This topic is about Group E, a group that has neither Netherlands or Mexico...

20. HDC neighbor

HDC neighbor New Member

Feb 8, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I think some people here are thinking of 4 teams in the vacuum...

Year 2006 belongs to European teams....they will simply steamroll most of the weaker or average opponents from Asia, Africa, Concacaf and even South America...

The result of this poll is definately biased because the Czechs are not getting that much point here....obviously some wishful thinking is reflected here....

To me, it is not a group of death.....those who call it a "group of death" have already admitted inner fear of the opponents....

21. NaMusa75

NaMusa75 New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Unfortunately, SoCal
    The results of the poll are what they are because this is an American board and we have more than our fair share of zealots voting. This is not the group of death, but it is definitely the 2nd hardest group out there. If the US can pull an upset against Czech Republic, we might just skate through on goal differential for 2nd place.

22. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

Like I said before this poll is rigged by American fans I have nothing against them I mean I think America has a good team but me being a Mexico fan I am not blinded I know how good and tall the czecks are I would keep the ball low on that team because in the air their dangerous!

23. ForzaCassano

ForzaCassano New Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Toronto
    AHAHAAHA.. the americans over the czechs eh:confused:!! oh well..i guess everyone SHOULD be able to dream! especially those DANG americanos! watch them catch dead last! lol :D

24. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    you hit the nail on the head!

25. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley
    You're in for a surprise when your beloved team loses to Iran and you guys will be sent home early......again:p