Who will win Euro 2016?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Pirlopurity, Jun 25, 2015.

1. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #226 JoseEmidio, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    Last time England beat Portugal in a tournament was 1966 since then they lost to Portugal in 1966 since then they lost to us in FIFA 86 (1-0), UEFA 2000 on penalties (3-2), UEFA 2004 (6-5 on penalties) and FIFA 2006 (3-1 on penalties). Not only that but they have only beaten Portugal twice since then in 1998 by 3-0 and 1969 (1-0) both non competitive. So since 1966 it is Portugal W4 D6 L2.

Belgium have a very good side but lack recent tournament experience, the last two WC were 2014 (QF), 2002 (last 16). In the Euro's it was 2000 (group stage exit) and 1984 (group stage exit). Lastly I said IMO, that is In My Opinion.

Did I say anything about Portugal winning EURO 2016?

Now that you have been schooled, go home and do your homework. Then say hello to your mother, from me.

2. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'll take a stab at this

Favorites
    France: I like what I see on paper, and playing at home will definitly help, but I can't find any proven cool heads that are capable of turning things around should things happen to go sour. I do think that France are fine without Benzema if he ends up getting thrown in the slammer. Griezmann is better anyway and in better form IMO
    Spain:
    I don't think anyone should overlook Spain based on their performance at the last WC. They're stacked in every position with plenty of winning experience. Although, I don't see Ramos in the squad?
    Germany:
    Nothing much to say here. Reigning world champions, also quite a bit of depth all around the pitch. The white man's favorite team.

2nd Favorites
    Portugal:
    With great talent coming through the ranks led by a vetted world superstar, Portugal can really make a splash and surprise everyone this time around. With the tournament being hosted in a neighboring country, the Portuguese should have strong support in the stands, as well as around the world
    Turkey:
    Having missed out on the last Euro, im convinced Turkey are gonna be chomping at the bit. They tore up Euro 2008 with a young Arda and legend Semih Senturk and I have a feeling they're back to redeem themselves. The Turkish league has become in recent times much stronger and I think were in for some Turkish delight
    Belgium:
    For me it's make it or break it for Belgium this time around. They have the talent to win titles, but they also have been underwhelming with their golden generation. A good Euro 2016 could mean they could be favorites for WC2018. A bad tournament and they'll slip into my "outside shot" category for next World Cup

Outside shots
    Italy:
    No wind in this Italian generation's sails. No one stands out, no one to lead, really just a bunch of individuals. Their best hope was diamanti but I don't see he's being called up anymore. We might get a goal or two but I doubt we'll see any wins against Belgium, Zlatan or a fired up Ireland. We'll be saying "4 stars" for a while, I'm afraid
    England:
    They will fall short once again. No point in even speculating.
    Sweden:
    Zlatan alone has the ability and leadership qualities to carry his team to a title. Hopefully he lights this one up

3. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ok WHAAAA???? How can you say that? And Diamanti our best hope? Diamanti isn't even a key player, and he is not nearly even as good as our B squad.

Buffon, Chiellini, Bonucci, Barzagli, Marchisio, De Rossi, Verratti, and Insigne are all world class. If we need kind of like a team leader, we still have Pirlo. Despite him not starting he can still lead the team off the field. Buffon will captain our team, and don't even say he can't lead. Buffon has been our leader since Cannavaro retired for Azzurri, and also Juventus after Del Piero retired.

Are you freaking serious about failing to take 3 points in any of our games? Belgium are a good team with great talent, but we can beat them if we really try hard, I wouldn't call them superior to us. Its gonna be a great game if you ask me. Belgium maybe beat us, we beat them, or draw. Could go either way.

This is what I really don't get, you really think Zlatan will beat us with his mediocre team? Sweden couldn't even pick up 3 points against Russia or Austria in which they played 2 games with each. All we need to do is shut down Zlatan, and we will outplay Sweden everywhere else, and saying we can't shut down Zlatan? Did you know that the Chiellini/Bonucci/Barzagli shut down Ronaldo/Bale/Benzema impressively in the UCL last season? No way is Ibrahimovic alone better than Ronaldo/Bale/Benzema. Our midfield will rape Sweden.

Ireland will be hard to break down defensively, but we should manage to do it though. Saying we won't win a single game is unreasonable.

And let me tell you the players I listed above all stand out for their clubs and national team.

4. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Are you telling me if I ran into a Swedish guy and asked, who do you think will win between Italy and Ireland? He would have to tell me "sorry, can't answer, my country has not won a tournament"

Because Portugal beating England is far from "bold" making it to the semis is far from "bold"

Or maybe you were just trying to be funny, in which case I would really take another path because that was just weak.

5. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Actually, whilst I don't think that England will make it past the QF, I believe that we have a better team than Portugal and would fancy us to beat you

calabrese8 repped this.
  6. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My issue is that your pork chop buddy made a bold prediction by saying he would heavily bet against England beating Portugal. It was a super homer pick and while im not the biggest fan of England or English football in general, based off recent form and their influx of younger players coming up, i would place my money on England to beat Portugal.

I'm not saying Portugal can't make the semis, I just see it as highly unlikely.

How does it feel to waste your tournaments with a once in a generational player.

7. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Germany have never beaten Italy in a major tournament, however, you won't see me saying based off those past results with many players who aren't even relevant anymore that Germany has no chance of beating Italy.

congrats on having a better record against England since 1966. It is now 2016, Ronaldo's getting older, congrats, still no trophies.

8. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

lol @ Diamanti being Italy's best hope. The guy was never a first team selection at any point in his career with the national team.

While i wouldnt say Italy is a favourite by any means, we should be considered in the 2nd favourite list. We have a top 3 goalie in the world, a strong defence backed by the Juventus Core who took us to the champs league final, and a strong midfield. I do agree we are goal challenged, if we can figure that out then watch out Europe. Then again, love all the Italy doubters. When we are doubted pre-tournament is when we shine the best, when we come in as favourites we pull a Portugal and exit fast.

9. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You guys came in as favorites like what... 20 years ago? Been awhile

Alino had the most creativity I've seen for Italy in a long time. In the little time he's had for the NT, I saw more promise in him than any other player. Dunno how that isn't obvious

Top 3 goalie is pushing it quite a bit... I can name five keepers better than Buffon at the tournament
    Neuer
    De Gea
    Courtois
    Cech
    Hart

Buff had his day, but he's in the history books now

Also, this myth about Italy having a strong defense has to stop. Outside of Italy, any Italian defender bar Chiellini would be sitting on the bench. The quality of Italian players has declined proportional to the decline of the domestic league. This is why their outside shots. I based my predictions on current events, not the history books

Germany have never beaten Italy in a major tournament, but Italy also lost 4-0 to the same team Portugal took all the way to pens.

10. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Congratulations. You took them to penalties, your trophy is coming in the mail. That means shit all. We tied Spain 1-1 in the first game and had a bad day / unfortunate final against them. We full well deserved the loss, however, we play that game another 10 times and that result doesn't occur again.

watch some Italian football before you make assumptions. Diamanti has 1 international goal in a 3rd place match at the confederations cup. Chiellini isn't even the best Italian defender, that would be Andrea Barzagli. Leonardo Bonucci even had a better 2015/16 than Chiellini and was considered by some to be one of the better champions league defenders in the past calendar year. Buffon is not over the hill, watch some Juve / Italy games and you'll see he is still at the top of his game. And the Italian league is rising again. Yes it was in a decline post 2006, however, we're coming on strong and seeing results in Europe and are more than likely going to overtake the EPL in the Uefa co-efficient after this year.

11. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I made the point about Spain in response to yours about Germany. It means shit all that Italy is unbeaten against Germany in competitions.

I did say Diamanti brought creativity, I know he didn't bring goals. He had more heart than a lot of Italian players I've seen over the years. He took chances and brought the fight to the opponent

I watch quite a bit of Italian football, actually. Don't assume that I assume Italian football is in decline based on an assumption that I don't watch Italian football, please.

Honestly, it seems that the only fans to take criticism as an attack are Italian fans. It's as if there is this automatic chest thumping response

12. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hart, Cech, and Courtois better than Buffon? WOW artielange84. De Gea and Neuer can be better on their days, but not Courtois, nor Cech, and ESPECIALLY HART.

13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Here we go again with Mr Italy!!

Just out of interest do you watch much EPL or watch Hart week in week out like I do? He could command his area better at times but when it comes to shot stopping, there aint that many better on his day. He also doesnt deserve YOUR CAPITAL LETTERS!! FFS!!

artielange84 repped this.
  14. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Diamanti played in one major tournament for us (2012) and he wasn't even our most creative player in that tournament (Cassano).

15. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hart is a great goalkeeper, but better than Buffon? Oh My Goodness.

Dage repped this.
  16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I never said he was better than Buffon but your capital letters suggest that he's nowhere near that level which he is imo. He's better or equal to some of the other keepers mentioned plus he's never been beaten by a shot from the halfway line like one has!

17. Scanderbeg

Scanderbeg Member

May 22, 2014
    Buffon vs Lloris: Lloris is last 2 season has been better than Buffon who is in decline.
    Florenzi vs Debuchy: Florenzi is not even a full back, he can't defend, however, sagna is better full back than both in this moment
    Varane vs Chiellini: Varane, Chiellini sucks. Overrated butcher
    Sakho vs Bonucci: Bonucci wins.
    Evra vs Darmian: Evra much better, Darmian is a flop at united
    Matuidi vs Marchisio: Matuidi in this moment in the best box to box in the world. 3 goals and 7 assist this season.
    Schneiderlin vs De Rossi: De Rossi is is a disaster for Rome
    Pogba vs Verratti: They are equal (Verratti has been performing better so far).
    Valbuena vs Berardi: Berardi wins.
    Benzema vs Gabbiadini: Benzema wins.
    Griezmann vs Insigne: Not even close Griezman has been world class from years.
    Deschamps vs Conte: Conte is overrated and a great flop in UCL. Non of them is a great coach for me

18. Scanderbeg

Scanderbeg Member

May 22, 2014
    the current buffon is in decline.

19. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Very irrelevant as neither team will line up with those exact players.

I know I'm biased but Buffon has not seen a decline. Yes he has the best defensive core in Italy in front of him but he's been great nonetheless. He has 10 clean sheets so far this year. To put in perspective, Joe Hart lead the EPL with 14 last year. Also, don't come at me and say it's because Serie A is boring defensive football as Serie A currently has the most goals of any of the top four leagues so far this year

20. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Slovakia to be the darkhorse a

21. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Buffon is not really in decline. He is not in his prime, but he is simply still one of the best. Buffon is way better than Lloris. If Lloris was that good, some world class clubs would be trying to sign him.

Florenzi can defend, he shut Neymar down amazingly against Barcelona 1-1. And anyway Darmian is better than Debuchy. He maybe not in form at United, but nobody does well at United other than De Gea, Rooney, and maybe Martial. LVG treats players badly.

Chiellini does not suck. He is one of the best in the world, and if thats not enough, we can use Barzagli who I am sure is better than Varane.

Matuidi is really good, but not better than Marchisio. They aren't exact same types, but Marchisio is amazing. He is Juve's best midfielder.

De Rossi is NO disaster for Roma. He is saving their ass.

Insigne and Griezmann are about the same. Insigne was injured mostly last season but has really found form now, and is Napoli's best player arguably. Also keep in mind the Serie A is the hardest league to score goals in because its very defensive. Now Insigne and Griezmann are probably about the same.

Your right Benzema is better than Gabbiadini by a few miles actually, but Benzema is banned and won't be going. Therefore Lacazette or Giroud will play who I would say are about the same level as Gabbiadini.

I agree Conte is overrated. Conte and Deschamps both really aren't anything special. Conte was only a flop in the UCL one season.

Its more like this anyway:

Buffon vs Lloris: Buffon
    Chiellini/Barzagli vs Varane: Chiellini and Barzagli are both better really, although Varane is not far behind. Chiellini can make mistakes, but its not as if Varane doesn't. Barzagli is a brick wall though.
    Bonucci vs Sakho: Bonucci
    Darmian vs Debuchy: Darmian (Again nobody does well at Man Utd other than De Gea, Rooney, and maybe Martial. He started well actually, but thats because Darmian didn't obey LVG and did what he thought was best in the beginning).
    Criscito/De Sciglio vs Evra: Evra
    Marchisio vs Matuidi: Marchisio (Matuidi has more assists, but Marchisio can defend, attack, and make great passes all together. Matuidi can't defend nearly as good as Marchisio can.)
    De Rossi vs Schneiderlin: De Rossi
    Verratti vs Pogba: Equal (Verratti is in more form now I suppose, but Pogba is really good as well).
    Florenzi/Berardi vs Valbuena/Coman: Florenzi & Berardi are both superior.
    Insigne vs Griezmann: Equal
    Gabbiadini vs Giroud: Equal (Maybe a slight edge to Giroud, although Ozil is making Giroud look much better than he really is)

22. Scanderbeg

Scanderbeg Member

May 22, 2014
    #247 Scanderbeg, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    Lloris cost minimun 20 milions. PSG wanted him, but they were not willing to pay that for a goalie.
    He is better than Buffon in this moment. even if you compare them with stats you can see that lloris are more saves.
    both Cheillini and Bonucci are not great defenders and are always shit with the NT, because they are not protected from midfield as in Juve.
    Chiellini in Serie A has long been protected even by corrupt referees, because he is a butcher, if he played in La Liga, he would have many more red cards than Ramos. Last year Chiellini was the main culprit, of both goals conceded against Real. And was another penalty not granted to Real.
    Bonucci is good defender, level of koscielny, Chiellini is mediocre.
    the dirty chiellini

Darmian is good in defense, in attack is very very mediocre, and Debuchy is injured. Sagna is the starter and as a full back is far better than both florenzi and darmin.
    De Rossi is finished
    Verratti and Pogba are total different players. But Pogba can be much more decisive.
    Berardi has not even been called in Nt, and for me is nothing of special as a winger. He is not fast and can't dribbler. but he has a good football intelligenze and good finishing. Valbuena and Coman(+Lacazette) are more suitable than as wingers. And France has even Ben Arfa and Fekir who now is injured and who is a total different level compared to those guys.
    Matuidi is better defender than Marchisio. He is better in both attack and defense than Marchisio. There are not arguments to say that Marchisio is better than Blaise Matuidi, who is the best box to box in the world in this moment
    No Griezmann is another level compared to Insigne. Griezman plays for one of the best teams in the world, insigne for a team who can't beat dnipro and don't compete to win anything

23. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL Napoli couldn't beat Dnipro due to Benitez. And by the way a player playing on a lower level team is usually a positive when looking at statistics with goals and assists, because from a bigger team they have bigger support from the midfield.

De Rossi is not done yet. He is having a great season and is one of Roma's best hopes. Anyway Sagna is not better than Darmian. And what the heck Matuidi is the best box to box midfielder? He is really good but: Rakitic, Modric, Marchisio, Pogba, Vidal, Gundogan, and Schweinsteiger are all better. Yes I know about Matuidi's assists, but do you know that the Ligue 1 is a rubbish league? PSG is the only world class team there and the rest are all rubbish. If PSG is undefeated for this long and around 20 pts ahead of the rest, you can tell that the other teams are rubbish, and PSG is a number of steps above the rest. If Matuidi played in Serie A he wouldn't have as many assists. I bet if Marchisio played for PSG he would be a huge standout.

Insigne is a good player. He was injured in the last couple of seasons, but who is the top Serie A assister right now and is also on the top scorer sheet? I mean La Liga has better top teams than Serie A but the Serie A is the most defensive league in the world (exception of ukrainian league), and scoring goals there is a great but harder than in the La Liga, EPL, or Bundesliga. Griezmann is a great player and I am not saying Insigne is superior, but they are about the same. Griezmann only has the advantage of having more experience.

Berardi has been called up to the NT but had to pull out due to injury. Anyway he is a great player and better than Coman and Valbuena at least. Florenzi is great as well. Do you know how good Florenzi is at long shots? By the way Berardi is a fast player, and can dribble quite well. The only problem with him is he can get too far sometimes and get sent off too much.

Also how can you say Chiellini is shit? He is protected by the Juve midfield? LOL the Azzurri midfield and Juve midfield are about the same level. Marchisio in both, Verratti instead of Pogba, and De Rossi instead of Khedira. And anyway we have Barzagli as well.

Also again Darmian is not too bad in attack as he has scored some world class goals before. Anyway its not very important for Azzurri style to be good in attack because Italy is always a more defensive team anyway.

24. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    your crazy. Marchisio shits on Matuidi and is currently one of if not the best DMS in the world. He's not a b2b anymore.

calabrese8 repped this.
  25. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i agree with some of your points. De Rossi isn't "done" yet but he's getting pretty close to it and I personally would not call him up to the Euro team if I were Conte, unless its for pure experience off the bench and his versatility to play as a CB in a 3 man defence in emergency.

Verratti and Pogba are total different players... agreed... i have no idea why there was a comparision between the two other than the fact they both play midfield?

Marchisio is much more versatile than Matuidi, perhaps not better as a box to box, but his versatility and the way he excels in multiple midfield positions is what add a bit of fuel to the debate.

Berardi has potential but i'll bet he won't even get selected for Euro 2016 so there's no debate to be had. If we're talking Italian wingers then we're talking Candreva who has been excellent in the past month after a shitty start to the year, so we'll see if this form continues (he has been one of the better capped Azzurri over the past year anyways).

Chiellini is dirty...sure... so was Claudio Gentile. He's not even our best defender any ways, it's Andrea Barzagli. But to call him mediocre is biased.