Who will win Euro 2016?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Pirlopurity, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Pirlopurity

Pirlopurity Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    #1 Pirlopurity, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    I've got France and Germany as joint favourites. The French team is exceptionally talented and will have enormous patriotic support behind them. Pogba is a star and could have a massive tournament.

Germany speak for themselves. Best squad and reigning world champions. Simple as that.

Behind them I have England who despite being serial underachievers have won every game in qualifying and have some brilliant young stars. I think England can make the last 4. I'd throw Portugal in that category too who are winning games under Santos and have featured prominently in Euro tournaments since 2000. Quarter Finals, 2 semis and a runners up.

I don't know what to make of Italy. It really does depend on Verratti, and I think he could elevate himself to the next level and be one of the genuine stars of world football. Potentially top 5 player. But that's if, and a very big one and Italy havn't been convincing bar the exception of Euro 2012. Was it only 3 years ago they made the final, it seems an eternity ago now.

Spain? Holland?? Belgium???

Any way my thoughts at this stage a year out from the tournament is that the French and Germans are joint favourites and I give the edge ever so slightly to the Germans. Beating France in France is going to take one hell of a herculean performance. I have England and Portugal behind them although with Portugal I'm mightily sceptical as they're very Ronaldo reliant.

2. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Germany are always serious contenders and among the favorites.
    France has good players and did very well in the past being the host.
    Spain may have failed in the WC but they still have a lot of quality players.

Countries who can be hit or miss are Italy, Portugal and probably Belgium.

The Netherlands should first worry about qualifying before rating their chances.

Pirlopurity repped this.
  3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It would be funny if it were a shocking team like Greece in 2004. Iceland would probably be that candidate.

But I will stick with France , Germany or Belgium. Not going out on a limb. :D

4. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    unclesox repped this.
  5. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think France, Germany, and Italy are the favorites.

Germany: Even though Lahm and Klose are gone, they still have a complete[​IMG] team. They will not be as strong as they were at the world cup but still they should have enough strength. Players like Hummels, Mertasacker, Howedes, Boateng, etc are all world class. Also Reus, Schurrle, Bellarami, and many new players are coming in. Neuer and Ter Stegen as the first goalkeepers who are both pretty good. Germany as always will be a favorite.

France: They are the hosts so they will have some advantage, but not as much as people might think. Its only a European Cup which climates are pretty much about the same so the only advantage France will really have is their fans. Their defense though is getting better especially with Varane and Evra. Matuidi and Pogba are too great people that boss the midfield around, but they are lacking someone who can actually hold the midfield together. Cabaye is okay but not world class. Their attack is deadly with Griezmann, Benzema, and Valbuena. Valbuena has all kinds of skill that means a lot to[​IMG] the team.

Italy: Despite their poor performance in the world cup, I think they will do well. Most of it was coaching problems, and now that they have a new and well experienced coach they will do pretty well. They have world class players. The likes of Chiellini, Bonucci, Barzagli, Rugani, Darmian, and De Sciglio make probably the best national team defense in the world in this generation. Also their midfield is probably the best it has been in a long time. Pirlo is aging but should still be there, maybe as a substitute. Verratti is world class in will probably hold the midfield together, having De Rossi and Marchisio bossing the midfield around. They also have Parolo, Florenzi, and Valdifiori if needed. Then their attack has been let down the past few years, but Gabbiadini seems to be doing really well and is scoring tons of goals. Giovinco is also just on the edge of world class. Then there is Berardi who has A LOT of talent and is world class already at 20. Berardi might be the next Messi possibly.

So they will be the three favorites I think.

Spain, Belgium, and Croatia will also do really well.

Spain has been in decline but they do have quality players who are world class. They just need to get the team together and experienced on how to play as a team and they should be back on track.

Belgium has quite a bit of talent coming with the likes of Hazard, De Bruyne, Kompany, Fellani, and Mertens. They don't have a really good midfield which is why I don't consider them favorites, but I think they will do good.

Croatia has a deadly midfield: Modric, Raktic, Perisic, Kovakic, Brozovic. They will really be able to destroy a lot of teams. Plus Mandzukic who arguably has been in decline recently, but I disagree. Mandzukic is still world class striker and will score goals for his team at least from assists.

England and Portugal have been really lucky especially given easy qualification groups, but I have a feeling their luck will twist by the time they reach the tournament.

Netherlands will embarrass and disappoint. They have coaching problems and are even in danger of possibly not making it. Sneidjer is aging and will not last much longer. They will probably rely on Robben, although Huntelaar and Depay are considered world class, they just don't bond well with the team.

I also predict Iceland and Slovakia to be huge dark horses and make the quarterfinals at least.

This really should be a great tournament. To summarize it all up I would say the favorites are: Germany, France, and Italy. Then the teams that aren't necessarily favorites to win it but expected to do well: Belgium, Spain, and Croatia. Then you have Portugal and England who might make it to the quarterfinals if lucky but say round of 16. And the dark horses Iceland & Slovakia. Then the teams that are supposed to be world class but will probably disappoint: Netherlands.

6. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 annoyingracoon01, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    In my opinion
    Favorites: Germany, France, and Italy
    Under performers: England (like always), Portugal, and Netherlands
    Dark horses: Belgium and Croatia
    Over performers: Iceland and Norway

7. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What switch the dark horses and over performers, LOL

8. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im saying that Norway and Iceland could have a good chance at making the round of 16. I'm also saying that Belgium and Croatia can swoop in and have a chance at winning if the big nations don't do good.

9. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree. Iceland will make it to Round of 16 almost for sure because remember the 4 best 3rd placed teams also advance, maybe even the quarterfinals. Not so sure about Norway though, what makes you think they will be a dark horse? They did draw azerbaijan at home.

10. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Norway has some good young talent ( forget about odegaard hes overrated ) and they are close to Italy in qualifying.

11. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They were close, but not anymore. Bulgaria will beat them in september. Bulgaria will likely go to the playoffs instead of Norway.

12. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Italy on the same level as Germany, France or even Spain, you are absolutely having a massive laugh

artielange84 repped this.
  13. Junios Salanos

Junios Salanos New Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Based on what? Italy are unbeaten in the qualifers. Spain lost in the qualifiers and also went out in the group phase. If you are judging from the world cup, Spain, Portugal and Italy went out in the group, so I guess that means they are all shit then. Portugal lost to Albania, France and Cape Verde, so draw a line through them based on your conclusions.

Brazil lost 7-1 to Germany, maybe they should just quit world football seeing as though they're no good:confused:

You have no idea what so ever.

14. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    I wouldn't put Portugal at the level of Spain, France or Germany simply because they don't have the quality all over the pitch and neither does Italy.

I can look unbiased at the teams I support and bring a sense of realism to my arguments, Italy are in transition just like Portugal and to say they are one of the favourites next year is just absurd.

15. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I understand your reasoning for France and Germany, but Spain? Italy did better than Spain in the world cup on goal difference. Italy has more youth talent than Spain:

Verratti, Gabbiadini, Berardi, Giovinco, Marchisio, Rugani
    vs
    Isco, Diego Costa, Koke

I never said Italy are better than Germany but they have always beaten them which is why I made it look that way. France had an easy group in 2014 and struggled greatly against Germany. They lost confidence after they went behind.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Unfortunately for Iceland it looks like they will be in the lowest-seeded pot for the Euro 2016 finals draw (assuming they qualify, that is). So if they're not lucky, they will get a relatively difficult group. Good chance that Iceland will be in the group of death.

17. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am aware but seeing Iceland can beat Netherlands, I assume on a good day they can probably upset: Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, and anyone really other than France, Germany, Croatia or Italy. Possibly France, Croatia or Italy if some referee decisions go Iceland's way. But otherwise I think its safe to say if they don't get put in a group with France, Italy, Germany, or Croatia, they will likely make it through. Lars Largerback is a smart manager after all.

18. sebastianlarsson

Jan 28, 2014
    I bet Iceland will end up in Swedens group. And of course Iceland will knock out Sweden becouse well, that would be a sunshine history. Everyone in Sweden thought Lars Lagerbäck was a bad coach after missing the 2010 world cup but now everyone has turned around.

19. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    I'd say the top 5 favorites are
    France
    Germany
    Italy
    Spain
    Belgium
    Croatia
    Though I have feeling Portugal is gonna take it.

FatimaSC repped this.
  20. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have a question for all of you, do you think if Croatia plays the opening game with France it would be a great start to Euro 2016? I hope Croatia play the opening game with France, I think Croatia could beat them.

21. Junios Salanos

Jul 29, 2015
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    You still have no idea what so ever. You're saying Italy aren't on the level with Spain, when Spain crashed out in the group and got knocked off by Slovakia. I don't have Italy as one of the favourites, but you can never count them out and should at least have valid reasons. If you're going off one tournament then as mentioned Brazil are shit then and always will be. So are Italy, Spain, Croatia and Portugal.

Germany have lost to Poland and drew with Ireland and Australia at home. Maybe Germany are shit too and shouldn't be one of the favourites according to you.

No idea what so ever.:confused:

22. Junios Salanos

Jul 29, 2015
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    it would be, but that's a massive if and France will be one tough nut to crack at home.

23. Junios Salanos

Jul 29, 2015
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Giovinco is a bum. period.

24. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Your arguing the same points, let me put it to you simply so you can understand

Italy's players aren't as good as Spain's players

your opinion is biased and your just a fanboy who doesn't like to hear the truth

25. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    I'll give you a resonable response because you atleast have tried to understand my POV unlike some others in this forum, I'm just of the opinion that Italy and Portugal both have very good young players coming through however I think 2018 is a more realistic expectation rather than the euro. Spain has quality all over the pitch and have won 3 of the last 4 major tournaments and the a lot of those players are still in the Spanish squad