Who will win Copa Libertadores

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by posteador, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who is going to win Copa Libertadores?

1. Fluminense

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sao Paulo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Liga

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. San Lorenzo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Boca

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Atlas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. America

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Santos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    Re: Final Eight: Who will win Copa Libertadores

That's the way Boca is, always not capitalizing but then always advancing in the end with superior play.

I love this quote and I love that everybody is saying how Boca is already out. You would have thought that everybody would know by now to give a little more respect. Ask Libertad what happened last year when they drew the first leg at home in the quarters. Weren't we already out of the group stage? WEren't we already eliminated against Cruzeiro? Against Cucuta last year? etc etc

I love it, keep on thinking that Boca is already out and we'll see what happens a week from now. Atlas is a good team but it was clear on the field yesterday which team was better. Hopefully our bad luck doesn't continue and we score the 4 goals that we missed today in the second leg :)

2. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House

Las Pavadas que se tienen que leer

3. Nuclear_Attack

Nuclear_Attack New Member

Sep 13, 2007

Name other players in his position.

4. UNLMTD FNDS

UNLMTD FNDS Member

Aug 19, 2007

Didn't say Boca was out. The respect should be mutual, clearly there is a lack of it for Mexican teams in this tournament. But I can respect your comment and hopefully we see a GREAT match and impartial officiating (also no last minute rule modifications ;)).

5. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House

1) Passing - One of, if not the best, Passer in the world. Very few have his ability to place that incredible throughball or chip pass etc etc. The closest that comes to his skill is perhaps Pirlo or Diego

2) Intelligence - Again, one of the most intelligent players in the world

3) Leadership - Something he has added to his great reputation. He is the coach on the field helping players (Cardozo last year, Datolo this year etc etc) play much better than they did without him

4) Accomplishments:

Individual Honors:
    Revelación Clarín en Fútbol de Primera División[5] 1997 Revelación Clarín de Oro al Mejor Deportista del Año[6] 1997 Mejor Jugador del Torneo Esperanzas de Toulon[7] 1998 Olimpia de Plata al Mejor Jugador Argentino de Fútbol[8] 2000 Consagración Clarín de Oro[9] 2000 Mejor Jugador de la Final de la Copa Toyota Libertadores[10] 2001 Olimpia de Plata al Mejor Jugador Argentino de Fútbol[11] 2001 Consagración Clarín en Fútbol de Primera División 2001 Consagración Clarín de Oro[12] 2001 Jugador con Más Arte (Radio Marca - Arte & Naturaleza)[13] 2005 Premio Don Balón Mejor Extranjero La Liga[14] 2005 Balón de Plata Copa Confederaciones[15] 2005 Consagración Clarín en Fútbol Extranjero[16] 2005 Jugador con Mayor Asistencias en el Mundial de Alemania 2006[17] 2006 Mejor Jugador de la Final de la Copa Toyota Libertadores[18] 2007 Premios FS - Mejor jugador latinoamericano del año[19] 2007

Not to mention putting Villareal on the map, leading them to the semifinals of the Champions League AND the highest amount of votes (finished 16th) for a South American based player in the FIFA World Player of the Year voting (and for 1/2 a year he didn't even play so imagine if he had played the whole year with Boca)

6. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House

There's no respect because everytime you lose the 'COMENBOL' conspiracy comes up. The away goal was started to be used in 2007 and was used in the Copa Libertadores. Why America thought that it wouldn't be used in the Sudamerica is beyond me and shows complete stupidity on not even looking it up if they actually did have some doubts to begin with

7. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    hot garbage?

[​IMG]

8. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I don't know if Riquelme would have led Argentina to the World Cup, but I do know that in 2006 with Riquelme on the field Argentina was unbeaten, and while he was on the field we were beating Germany, and after Pekerman inexplicably took him out of the game, Germany came back to tie it and beat us in penalties.

It's hard to lead the country to the world cup when you are not in the game.

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

As a Mexican friend of mine told me, don't take it personally when you hear such accusations. Many Mexican fans always like to whine about the refs and about unfairness, but it's not limited to international play. They do the same when their team loses in a Mexican league game.

But not all Mexican fans are like that. The problem is that the ones that are like that make a lot of noise.

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Ok, for the sake of the discussion, and since I don't remember seeing you here before, I will assume you are an honest football fan asking an honest question, and not merely trolling, as it might appear.

1) As far as Riquelme's individual and team accomplishments, here are some:

2007 Copa Libertadores' Most Valuable Player
    2007 Copa Libertadores (Boca Juniors)
    2007 Nominated for FIFA World Player of the Year (16th place with 19 votes)
    2006 Nominated for FIFA World Player of the Year (17th place with 16 votes)
    2005 Nominated for FIFA World Player of the Year (16th place with 20 votes)
    2004 UEFA Intertoto Cup (Villarreal CF)
    2001 Copa Libertadores (Boca Juniors)
    2001 South American Footballer of the Year
    2000 Argentine Apertura Championship (Boca Juniors)
    2000 Intercontinental Cup (Boca Juniors)
    2000 Copa Libertadores (Boca Juniors)
    1999 Argentine Clausura Championship (Boca Juniors)
    1998 Argentine Apertura Championship (Boca Juniors)
    1997 FIFA's World Youth Championship (under-20)

BTW, before Messi finished 2nd this year, Riquelme was the top Argentine vote getter for FIFA player of the Year since Batistuta.

2) As far as what makes him a great player, I found this blog from a Villarreal fan, that I think describes very well Riquelme's game, and he backs it up with video.

http://onedeadfish.blogspot.com/2007/02/on-football-no-6-juan-roman-riquelme.html

Here is an excerpt, but I hope you read it, watch the videos, and then tell me what you think. My guess is that your comments about Riquelme are based on your limited exposure to his games.

Having watched Riquelme play many times, ever since he first came out, I do believe this guy's comments are right on the money.

12. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK

I agree with the rest of your post, but I think Pellegrini and Roig deserve an equal if not more credit for that one.

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

True, just like Bianchi and Macri deserve credit for the resurgence of Boca at the turn of the century, after some very lean years. But Riquelme was also a big part of it. The man is a winner.

Riquelme's story is amazing, what he had to overcome. He comes from one of the toughest villas in Buenos Aires and his father was a gangster who used to beat him up all the time. It's funny, some people question his toughness, they don't know what the hell they're talking about.

14. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

I have a quick question who or what is megatone the sponsor on Boca uniforms?

15. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    Re: Un grande candidato SP: Who will win Copa Libertadores

Roman es un grande no hay dudas!

la imagen de pecho frio..lo afecta con los que no lo siguen de semana a semana.

aguante roman..... what a PLAYER

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

It's a retail chain of electronic goods in Argentina. Something like a Good Guys or Circuit City store in the US.

17. Nuclear_Attack

Nuclear_Attack New Member

Sep 13, 2007

waiting...

18. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I hadn't see Liga play, and I had my doubts as to their real possibilities. I have to say, after watching this game against San Lorenzo, that collectively they are outstanding. I don't think any other team left in the cup works the bandas better than these guys.

Point aside, I can't believe Bieler is now a respected striker :D His days in Colo Colo were mediocre at best, would miss 7/8s of all clear chances.

19. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    About 2 more hours until the America game!! Hopefully we can get a good result, im hoping for a 3-0

20. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    That's back to back games La Liga scores on goalie mistakes.

21. fireEagleCuauhtemoc

fireEagleCuauhtemoc www.twitter.com/alonsobueno1

Jul 23, 2007
    chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i wish, but lets be realistic, hosting a brasilian team(with kleber) with expecting them to get a goal, is highly dificult. i hope cabanas and ochoa comes inspired, and villa plays like he was 5 years younger.

ps. i can imagine LIGA pulling off the suprise in this game in the last 5 minutes.

22. BRAZIL#1

BRAZIL#1 New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    FL
    Guerrón is class, no doubt he'll be playing in Europe next season.

23. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    San Lorenzo 1 - 1 LDU Quito

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    San Lorenzo is going to have a tough time going into Quito needing a win.

25. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    I'm backing LDU all the way!