Who will win 6 nations?

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by musicl, Jan 9, 2005.

1. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Ireland

2. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Starts tomorrow.

3. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    If the Welsh forwards can get enough ball to provide a platform for the backs then there will be a chance.

Wales have looked very dangerous in attack and have pushed the top teams close in recent months.

If i was a betting man though I would have to say England, even without Wilko.

4. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ireland have been labelled the favourites, but in the past they've dealt with that tag poorly. The French will be very difficult to beat, even at Lansdowne Road. I say the English will do no better than third again.

Wales-Ireland in Cardiff will be another key match.

5. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    After this afternoon's displays my faith in a Welsh victory have only been strengthened.

6. JD=SuperStar

JD=SuperStar New Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Australia
  7. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha. France totally undeserved winners against Scotland earlier today. Taking advantage of a blocked Scottish kick near the end zone, very very late in the second half, and very very closely scored try. Other than that, it was a pretty boring match.

8. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.

True, but victory is the most important in a 6-teams league. When a team plays poorly but wins nonetheless, it's a very good omen, most of the time. France can't play worse than this, it can only improve.
    So, tournament this year will probably an irish-french contest.

9. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Wales march on with an easy win. Ireland are currently beating Scotland 18-8.

10. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    England and France were both pitiful today. The French backline is woeful without Michalak and the England kicking is diabolical.

Given quite how bad England have been so far I am a little worried for the Lions this summer. It's just as well Wales have a few players who can kick.

11. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.
    Sink low, sweet chariot :D

12. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Another win for Wales and Ireland.

It looks now like it could be a grand slam decider between the two.

13. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scotland - Wales coming up later today.

If Scotland manage to beat Wales, it would make everything wide open. In that case, France, Ireland, and Wales would all end up being tied at the top. Is that possible?

14. BoysInGreen

BoysInGreen New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    What France and Ireland needed to happen Sunday was one of two things. The unthinkable.. Scotland to beat Wales.. would never happen. The more likely of the two, but not much chance either.. is for Scotland to keep it tight, so Wales don't run up their point differential (which is what it comes down to in the event of a tie at the top of the table).

It's now Wales 38 - 3 Scotland at halftime. Effectively the championship is over. Even if Ireland beat Wales next week, Wales point differential is likely to be too good for the rest, even if France rack up a load of points against Italy.

I'll stop talking now, and wait til the Wales game goes final, so we can look at the actual numbers the last week will be faced with.

15. BoysInGreen

BoysInGreen New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    The Wales match has gone final, and I've since been enlightened. At halftime I thought the championship was over, given Wales hefty lead and the fact that my math, like so many 6 Nation observers including pundits, was off.

Wales 38-3 halftime lead decreased to a 46-22 final score. Before the match Wales were -1 on POINT DIFFERENTIAL to Ireland. Tack on the 24 points they beat Scotland by, and they're now +25 points better than Ireland.

So hence, people started throwing the number 25 around. They thought Ireland had to beat Wales next week by 26 or more. But the fact that Ireland and Wales are playing EACH OTHER means that, for instance, +5 for Ireland is -5 for Wales = a 10 point gap.

What it means is that, in order for Ireland to win the championship, they have to beat Wales by 13 points or more.

But don't forget France, who play Italy. If Ireland beat Wales by 13, a France win by 41 or more would give France the 6 Nations championship.

=======

In essence, we enter the 6 Nations final matchday with 3 real contenders: Wales, Ireland, and France.

What does each team have to do to win the championship?

WALES:

-If they beat Ireland, they complete the Grand Slam (simply means they've won all their games), and clinch the 6 Nations championship.

-If they lose to Ireland by 12 points or less AND France win by 40 points or less (think 40 is the right number, may be 1 more or less).

IRELAND:

-If they beat Wales by 13 points, and France win by 40 or less, they will win the 6 Nations championship.

FRANCE:

-If Ireland don't beat Wales, their score is meaningless as far as winning the championship.

-If Ireland win by 13, France need to beat Italy by at least 41 points. For every point more Ireland wins by, France need to match it.

Note: France v. Italy final score will be known when Ireland v. Wales kick-off, so if France beat Italy by 41 or more, the # Ireland will have to win by to win the championship will be plain as day before the match starts.

======

It's sure to be a rollercoaster of a final matchday. Lots of debate will go on in the run up to it. Can't wait :D .

16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    We haven't had a grand slam since 1978, this is our year. At home we will beat Ireland and wrap it up. ... I hope.

17. welsh paul

welsh paul New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Wales
    Yes come on lads create a bit of history. They've come a long way this season one more game and they'll be imortal.

Its a tough one though. Wales have to really go to war with Ireland on saturday and treat it like the last game they'll ever play.

Fingers crossed, this will be me in the pub on saturday evening :D .