Who will the Revs hire as new head coach?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SeñorFutbol, Oct 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Ralston?

Belichick?

Francona?

2. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would do whatever possible to steal Kreis away from RSL. It sucks that he signed an extension to go thru 2013 but I would at least try.

3. sputnikorbust

sputnikorbust Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seconded. also a big Kreis fan.

4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's about a 0% chance that Kreis bolts from RSL for the Revs.

5. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know but if I was in charge I would still make a play at him.

6. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll never happen. Kreis played there, don't forget. He's not moving anywhere, least of all to a city he never played in with a dysfunctional front office.

I would seriously consider bringing Paul Mariner back. I know it'd sting for Stevie to be succeeded by his old lieutenant, but it's a move that could work. Mariner knows the Revs' organization (for good and ill), he knows the league (no learning curve), and he knows player acquisition based on his current gig in Toronto.

And bring in Francis Okaroh as an assistant coach.

7. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about a Mariner-GM/Ralston-Coach scenario, with Mariner actively involved with the team's day to day activities.

8. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd do that too, but I thought it'd be easier to pry Paul back into coaching than Ralston back to New England.

9. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Although I respect Mariner I personally would like to see new blood all around. Kreis has done a great job since some players still know that he can school them on the pitch if he wanted. A young vibrant coach could work, but under current management they might just be a puppet. Perhaps as Asst. coach it could work. A coach with serious Int'l scouting experience would be nice. I just hope the Revs don't opt for the recylced MLS coach.

10. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want the Revs to go in a different direction. I would love to see the Revs go young and with US/MLS soccer background.

11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's possible that this process will allow us to read between the lines w/r/t how people inside the game view this franchise. Half the game is who the Revs look at and the other half is who is willing to look at the Revs.

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All due respect (to anyone) but why Mariner? He was very good as Nicol's righthand man here but has failed elsewhere. He went to Plymouth Argyle in England and failed to do anything there then moved on to become the technical director for TFC who is on-par with the Revs in terms of haplessness.

I like Paul as a person and a player but until he has demonstrated some results beyond player acquisition duties for relegation-caliber clubs, I don't want him here as a manager / technical director.

I know the response will be: Steve Nicol did not have managerial experience either and look what he did in New England. Well that's great and all but Mariner has had experience and was not successful. I saw his English Championship-level 2009-10 relegated Argyle team in person when they played at Newcastle United in the FA Cup a couple years ago and I would equate them as competitive with the 2010 Revs.

To replace Nicol, I want the Revs to look beyond Mariner or Olsen or any other MLS re-tread. The new manager needs to be a creative, innovative and determined to set a new direction revamp this thing to succeed. This coach should be used to, or at least comfortable with learning and working within the constraints of MLS to produce a winner.

13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love for them to hire a Technical Director (like Peter Wilt) and let him hire the new coach.

My guess, however, is that they make Matt Reis the coach.

14. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
  15. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess who else got fired today.

[​IMG]

16. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the direction they want to go is an aspiring MLS background type, Ralston would be leading that list.

17. $.02

$.02 Member

Jul 3, 2001
    Ralston might be a good choice...but they will have to pay to get him. Hope they don't try and disresepct their candidates. It will be hard to hire anyone with their reputation. I think young fresh blood would be good. It has seemed to work with Kreis.

18. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    I don't necessarily see Peter Wilt as the "Technical Director" type. At least not in terms of having him take charge of scouting on-field talent, negotiating contracts with players and/or agents, managing day-to-day details of the salary cap, overseeing youth development via an academy, etc.

Rather, I see Wilt excelling as a modern MLS franchise's team president, CEO and/or COO - the type of guy who oversees the overall business operations of the team, including facility development, sponsorship, marketing, ticket-sales and supporter relations.

In other words, while he'd certainly help the Krafts put together a list of prospective technical directors and coaches, as well as help the owners conduct interviews for said positions, I see him leaving the day-to-day player evaluation/signing/development tasks to the technical staff. He might act as a point of contact between said technical staff and the Krafts, but he wouldn't be calling the shots.

All of this said, if I were the Krafts, I'd show Sunil Gulati and Brian Bilello the door and do everything in my power to hire Peter Wilt as Team President and Chief Operating Officer, ASAP.

19. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another one to consider is Richie Williams. As weird as it would be to have him as our coach, he pretty much turned around the awful "09 red bull team in his brief stint as interim manager.

20. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too late. He was named the US U18 coach today.

21. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I can't see any potential candidate considering the opportunity until the rest of the front office issues are sorted out.

That being said, there's one name I haven't seen mentioned who might make for a good candidate: John Kerr, Jr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kerr,_Jr._(soccer)

22. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't hear that, and I like that appointment along with the Porter/Ramos ones too.

23. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guarantee you that Brian Bliss applies for the job.

24. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good coach.

Can't see him leaving the relative secruity of an upper eschelon ACC job to take an MLS gig, though. When was the last time something like that happened? Bruce Arena leaving UVA for DC United?

25. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a good tactical guy, but we'd really need a solid GM.