Who will replace Ventura ??

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by ITALIA1982, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    No, they just doing the good PR thing for a fellow coach (loser).

Rosay repped this.
  2. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    calabrese8 repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #28 falvo, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Tavecchio said he had not slept in four nights. Also that all Ventura kept doing was employing crosses and the Swedes were so tall they kept blocking the middle. He said they should have used smaller players to get around everyone.

Not that I care about Ventura or Tavecchio but other thann picking the right manager to pick and chose the correct combination of players, I still don't know what or how much a president of a federation will change things if club presidents ignore the FIGC's wishes.

In the end, you still need good not average players that are playing regularly on a weekley basis for their clubs that are in the top half of the league. If you aren't starting for your club team, you shouldn't even be considered in my opinion. This isn't even coming from me as that has been going on for as long as I remember. The national team is an all star squad where you pick the leagues best players. Picking a bench warmer for a national team?

You also need clubs to take risks and start the younger domestic players. They stated last night on the domenica sportiva that only 6/7 offensive players on the top 6 teams in the Serie A were national team quality. I saw Roma vs. Lazio yesterday and there were only 5 out of 22 players who are Italian. I don't care how you twist it, that low amount of players certainly won't help any master tactician decision when it comes time to making a selection. What happens, If one , two or three of those players is too old to play internationally, is injured, out of form or doesn't fit a certain style or tactic that the CT wants? Where is the depth and who takes that spot?

4. OnTheWayOfDamascus

Oct 26, 2010
    diplomatic positions,the team was not that bad

5. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    Claudio Ranieri is definately worthy of an interim position at the very least. He also doesnt get enough credit for building the Chelsea team that Jose and Roman stole from him

He took Leicester to winning the EPL and when asked what his secret was... he cited that he does not take it too seriously, he said soccer is just a job and just one part of life as whole.

He said he does not berate the players or play mind games with them, he said being supportive of the guys was what he did and made them enjoy their football.

I think with a lot of young guys on this team, having a coach who acts like their father would be very good for molding them and building the confidence of a lot of young guys who have been told they are not good enough, they are chokers, or that they need to wait longer.

I think at the very least... Claudio would be a good guy to get these guys feeling good about them selves again because its very obvious that this could further spiral downwards.

The youth have to be the focus moving forward and seeing as this is the first time this approach will be taken in a very long time, they need somone could can not break them mentally.

6. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have always thought Ranieri to be a mediocre coach and would not want him anywhere near the Azzurri.

My choices would be one of either Sarri or Giampaolo, preferably Sarri on a 4-year contract.

7. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I would have welcomed Ranieri if Ventura qualified them and was replaced until the World Cup

Anyway...

Report: Tavecchio will resign
    By Football Italia staff
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Beleaguered FIGC President Carlo Tavecchio is expected to hand in his resignation tomorrow, sparking new elections in 2018.

[​IMG]

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  8. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Malago': 'Lippi chose Ventura'
    By Football Italia staff

[​IMG]

CONI President Giovanni Malagò believes Carlo Ancelotti would take the Italy job with a change in the Federation and reveals Marcello Lippi chose Giampiero Ventura.

It's time to get Lippi far away from anything national team or league related. He lost it in 2010 and since then has had meetings with every other coach appointed. For what? I no longer trust or respect him. Keep that fool away from the organization in all capacity.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lippi won in 2006 though he also had great players...

10. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #35 Calcio Pauly, Nov 19, 2017
    What? :eek: He did? Thanks for that Falvo!

He had the core of the team that had been bounced in 02 and 04 and therefore with a lot of previous experience. He added good tactics and changed formations appropriately, tweaks here and there. Take both the Australia and Germany game as examples.

After 2008 it was one bad decision after another. Please just stay away.

Pietro Calcio and Rosay repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Anytime......un giorno torneranno!:thumbsup:

[​IMG]

calabrese8 and Rosay repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #37 falvo, Nov 19, 2017
    I also saw CONI president Giovanni Malagò on Fabio Fazio's Che Tempo Che Fa. Lippi wasn't re-hired to be in charge of the FIGC because there was a conflict of interest with his son who was a a sports agent or something like that.

He also talked about the foreign player dilemma, He said Inter was the last Italian team to win an international trophy, the World Club Cup win in 2010 with no Italians on the field.

He said he is going to reform the leagues, Serie A- D. He talked about reforming other sports too....

13. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Sky: Ventura at war with Azzurri squad
    By Football Italia staff
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sky Sport Italia claim Giampiero Ventura stormed out on the Italy squad ahead of the Sweden game, telling them to “pick your own team.”

The Coach refused to resign after the Azzurri failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup, losing the play-off to Sweden 1-0 on aggregate.

He was sacked this week, but the details of what went on behind the scenes are still emerging.

It is well known that the ‘senators’ in the squad such as Gigi Buffon, Andrea Barzagli and Daniele De Rossi, held a meeting in the locker room without the Coach or staff present after the 1-1 draw with Macedonia.

While everyone insisted it was purely a motivational get-together and had nothing to do with discussing tactics, Sky Sport Italia claim Ventura didn’t believe that version of events either.

He was seemingly obsessed with the idea the players were turning against him and the matter arose again a few weeks later.

It’s also reported that Ventura was so furious at the line-up leaking out that the day of Sweden v Italy match, he demanded to know who the “mole” was from his staff.

The chaos erupted completely two days before the decisive second leg game at San Siro.

According to Sky Sport Italia, Ventura was furious with the squad’s senior players and slammed: “You did so well having that meeting between players, well now you can train them and pick your own team.”

The Coach then stormed out and was gone for several hours, leaving the players unsure whether he would return at all, refusing to answer his phone.

14. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #39 Pietro Calcio, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    ya know , these are two main theories I keep hearing when it comes to this issue of division and what happened that led to this abomination.

1. The senatori having too much influence throughout qualifying thereby not allowing Ventura to do his job properly , as if this idiot even had a clue to begin with. I don't see how this is possible as Ventura stuck to his ways anyway , despite the performances and results on the pitch from the beginning. If the Senatori from the beginning were truly allowed to heavily influence the formation , tactics and player selections throughout qualifying imo they would have gotten through qualifying and certainly the playoffs with much more convincing performances . Ventura could have just sat there and the squad would of been better off for it. Seriously ...

2. The performances , despite the grinding shitty results , were severely lacking yet the tools were still there to be utilized. It soon became a certainty Ventura was a complete incomposed idiot , the likes of which the players and staff have never seen before , and the Senatori in the latter stages thought they were the only ones who could maybe exert some necessary influence over this moron to avoid disaster in the playoffs. Ventura surely became the elephant in the room after the Macedonia draw. So thereby it was the Senatori obligation to influence this idiot , to the best of their abilities , to avoid this huge embarrassment in the playoffs. Obviously in the end they let Ventura still have some control as the selections , formations and tactics still didn't make the best out of the tools available. Even the players themselves ( DeRossi ) couldn't understand the subs when elimination was staring this idiot in the face....With Insigne sitting there all baffled lol

My sympathies lie with the latter of these 2 thoughts when it came to what happened.

Ventura's contract should never have been renewed. He should have been sacked after the second match in Spain , because even before Spain there was a TON of room for improvement and the play was surely unconvincing.

It's a tragedy this could have been avoided and the only upside is that maybe , just maybe , this may lead to some positive change....but I'm not holding my breath

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  15. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Him leaving is a good start. Take time to appoint someone who can change things at grass roots. Baggio needs to remind him of his plan that was disregarded by the Abete led dinosaurs. Abete has ruled himself out to take over, another good sign too.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I read about the UEFA Nations League competition, which will be held from September to November 2018. It says it will be a partial qualification to Euro 2020 but not entirely.

Can someone please explain this to me in layman's terms? I don't really understand any of it at 5AM on the west coast....

17. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I tried looking into but it's kinda confusing, i wish they'd stop messing with everything.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah the wiki page is pretty confusing. I guess Italy's UEFA coefficient (before the playoff) is #9. Sweden is at #17. Go figure.....

upload_2017-11-20_5-11-9.png

19. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    TBH I thought Ventura was a decent selection as well at the time. Considering that it was a job no one wanted, i thought that he was a nice replacement for Conte since they used similar tactics. Also, at Torino some good italians came through his hands.

Rosay repped this.
  20. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The main difference between Conte and Ventura is that Conte got his players to "spit blood" even the "senatori".

I'm happy these guys are retiring and yes that includes Buffon

21. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yep, no player should have any influence on deciding squad selection, i too am glad those old farts are gone.

22. OnTheWayOfDamascus

Oct 26, 2010
  23. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    even if he's taking you under with the ship??? because he hasn't gotten a clue and he is also in uncharted waters?.... I think the players knew the ship was about to go aground and tried to do something , anything , to prevent it and that I can't hold against them.

I guarantee the senatori didn't start flexing their muscle into later in the qualifying campaign when it became obvious he was a clueless , leaderless idiot.

No doubt the sentori have to go and we have to rebuild , but they were not the major problem. Ventura was......from the start.

calabrese8 repped this.
  24. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    If them stepping in and asking him why he was playing Insigne as a defensive midfielder was grounds for him walking out, they should have locked the door to the dressing room and not let him back in. He was clearly out of his depth, and they've been coached by the best in the world so they could see that.

25. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The winners of the finals of each of the four Nations league divisions qualify for euro2020 (so there will be one very lowly ranked team qualified from the fourth division). Then all the teams will be drawn into 10 groups for the euro2020 qualifiers with the top two in each group qualifying.