Who will qualify for 2006?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by DoyleG, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    You're sure that Canada will be in the top 3 and not so sure about the US? You're obviously drinking way to much Moosehead.

2. Pirrip

Pirrip New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Saskatchewan
    Here in Saskatchewan we drink Great Western, which is a mighty fine brew and winner of many medals in various "Beer Olympics". Much better than Moosehead my friend. As for the US, players do get older and the US is an old team. I know that there is young talent in the US, but some qusestion marks are attached. Can Beasley develop some skill to go with his speed and fine soccer sense? Can Cherundolo start? Can Donovan attack effectively in a non-counteratacking environment. Who is gonna provide the guts and the heart with Stewart and Armas. Can Reyna be effective at 32 given that he does not have a step to loose? Is Twellman really a prospect? I amnot saying that it is a certainty that the US will not qualify. I just think there are more question marks going into 2006 than 2002. Casey Connor is a reason to be optomistic. And if Mathis can avoid anymore injuries a Connor mathis attack will be formidable. And I am sure at least one of the old guys will be around to keep the goal.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Honduras FA is looking into allegations that Honduras threw the qualification and took bribes from a Mexican company.

When you consider that Honduras hit the woodwork something like 7 times in their shocking home loss to T&T (which is the crux of the allegation), you come to one of two conclusions.

Either the Hondos are a pretty amazing collection of shooters, able to hit woodwork that many times without making any (which begs the question of why they didn't have 24 points entering matchday 9), OR....

You have to be a raving lunatic to believe the story.

4. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego

Interesting, yet unbelievable that'd they'd even look into this.

5. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    they played their hearts out in that game, and i agree, in the second half they hit the crossbar 5 times! you can't do that on purpose i don't care if you are brazil (juninho comes to mind) :)

6. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    El Salvador definately not! no coach no NT training no NADA! :mad:

7. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Unlike the 19 year old Tam Nsaliwa who took Beasley to school in the GC semi final. That being said, Beasley is a great prospect.

While you're watching a few of those Hannover matches look out for Julian DeGuzman, a skilled Canadian 20 year old... oh, wait, those don't exist...

Donovan has been effective in any type of tactical formation he's been thrown into. What do you have to think that he wont get better and better? Oh yeah, one more thing...He's 20.[/quote][/b]
    Donovan is definitely a player of the future, and one that will be amongst the class of CONCACAF in the next 5-10 years.

JOB has certainly impressed me, and he's definitely better than that sack of ************ Mastroeni.

No argument here.

Here's where you lost me. Are you saying that the US can throw out 4 or 5 players in each position that is as good as the entire Canadian 'A' team? If so, that preposterous.

I'll be the first to point out the depth advantage that the US has over Canada, but serious, 4 or 5 at each position?

You mean to tell me that you have 5 strikers of Radzinski's calibre? Or 5 attacking midfielders at the level of Paul Stalteri? (Bundesliga starter)

8. Pirrip

Pirrip New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Saskatchewan
    Points re:

Beasley:

Plays for Chicago Fire, not Ajax, Sunderland etc. etc. if someone wanted to "develop his skills" don't you think they would have bought him. He will be a decent Nats player, and no more unless he develops a better first touch and a better wrong foot shot. Right now his value is his speed and his soccer sense which allows him to use his speed togood effect. His primary value now is in opening up space for other more talented players. Nsaliwa is a better prospect and, a better player right now.

Donovan:

Never looks dangerous except on the fast break from the games I have seen. And that, BTW is what I meant by counterattack. He, unlike Beasely has some chance to become a top 50 in the world player, however. If he develops into a threat in all situations.

Cherundolo:

Just saw him today. I don't see how he can be rated as one of the top 10 in Germany when he just made his Bund1 debut today. Has some pace could be decent, but I look forward to watching him contend with Radzinski.

2002 Gold Cup:

With a high school keeper playing for Canada the game would have been 2-0. Most of the American "chances" were not from a dangerous area and of the 3-4 that were legit threats, your forwards played to their ability and mucked up a couple and Lars made nice saves on 2. Nobody who has any idea of how soccer works can seriously think that if not for Lars the game would be 6-0.

9. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    I said as a WHOLE. Give me your best Canadian Roster. 11 Starters and 3 Subs. I'll come up with at least 4 complete US teams, not using the same players more than once.

10. Pirrip

Pirrip New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Saskatchewan
    Well geez, we can come up with 4 or 5 teams too, but if you are suggesting that any other than your first team could compete with Canada's first 11 then you are well and truly off you rocker.

11. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I noticed that a few days back, the votes for Canada were more than for Honduras. The next day, I find this huge gap for Honduras.

Someoen afraid here?

If you don't like Canada, come out of the woodwork and admit it.

12. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody dislikes Canada. I've been there and it's a fine country. I just don't think they're good enough to qualify for the world cup.

13. Fedz

Fedz Member

Jul 14, 2000
    San José, Costa Rica
    Crazy:

You are gonna get it!!!!!!!

Now you are gonna hear how you obviously don't know anything about futbol or don't know anything about the quality of the Canadian players. You will also hear about the 2000 Gold Cup and how they lost to the Gringos on PK's. Let me see, also about the promise of their young players, who will be world beaters. What else? Sorry, thats where my knowledge of Canadian futboll ends.

14. Pirrip

Pirrip New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Saskatchewan
    No. Crazy has heard it all before. It kind of sounds a lot like American soccer fans 3 years ago when they were getting no respect from the Mexicans. And who is laughing now? Not much mirth in the land of the sombreo. I like hte Yanks chance of qualifying for 2006 BETTER than I like Mexico's.

15. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Fixed your post.

16. chante gomez

chante gomez New Member

Apr 13, 2002
    I hate you all....
    Just kidding..... If a div. 1 league is established in Canada, I think we'll see similarities to the US, as far as an ever improving pool of local talent.

More importantly they can help the rest of COCACAF stifle Mexico, lol.

17. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    us and mexico's qualification in 2006 seem a lock to me...:)

...CIAO!
    ...The SurfDiva

18. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Uh Oh.

19. Shatta

Shatta New Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Inglewood California
    JA needs a couple more experienced defenders and a top notch goalkeeper to be competitive right now.

We have a lot or work to do

respect

20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Jamaica

Well, Shatta. You seem to be approaching this thing with a much greater sense of humility and realism this time around.

But I think you are right. The goalkeeper and defender thing is no joke. And if the team can get organized on the field I think they could go far, pulling some big upsets along the way.