Who will make the 18 rosters for U-20?

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Shaster, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Two Goalkeepers.
    Six Defenders.
    Six Midfielders.
    Four Forwards.

Goalkeepers are set.

Starter--Steve Gronin.
    Backup--Ford Williams.

Defenders are set too.

Chefik Simo--as I remember in U-17, he is in left back?
    Ryan Cochrane--left side center?
    Chad Marshall--right side center?
    C.J. Klass--right back?

They could be exactly on wrong direction.

Jordan Harvey--he was starter on left in U-17.
    Chris Lancos--he was starter on right in U-17.

So guys like Griffin cannot make this team.

Midfielders--someone has to give up a spot for Captain Bobby Convey.

Ricardo Clark--as a center midfielder, he probably has a spot locked up.
    Bobby Convey--the soul of this team. Rongon's Claudio Reyna.
    Justin Mapp--we have to have a new Beasley.
    Devin Barclay--he would play in right wing. As a major sub for San Jose is a big plus.

Everyone else has to fight for two left spots.

Who will be the back up for wing midfilders?

David Johnson looks like playing in right wing, and also capable to play in the center.
    Ned Grabavoy is a good link guy in defense-to-attack and be Convey's backup.
    Raul Palomares--a good playmaker. Anything to do with our 5-2 win?
    Craig Capano--also a good playmaker. He probably will not make the team because he is too young and physically small.
    Jordan Stone--d-mid and also can play defender. Will be Clarke's backup.

It is very tough to choose.

Forwards--If Santino Quaranta backs in the form, he will lock up a spot. Even he missed the qualifying, he still can make the final roster because he is that good.

Santino Quaranta--Probably the #1 talent in this team.
    Ed Johnson--a dangerous forward and can win a game on his own. But his PT in Dallas is disappointing.
    Mike Magee--when our ability to score is questionable, he answered.

So the left one is between

Knox Cameron--a big target forward who is good when you need a goal and opponent packed up.
    Mike Ambersley--he is very quick but may lost the spot.

Or both of them can lost the spots to allow one more midfielder to be included.

Ideas?

2. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Sandon can probably speak more knowledgably about this than I can, Shaster, but this looks pretty right to me.

Field general/attacking center mid is very crowded, with Capano, Grabavoy, and Convey. I actually think Capano is probably better suited to be Convey's backup, but it sounds like Rongen doesn't care for the fact that he is as young as he is.

Magee's problem is that he is schooless and clubless. Where's he going to train and play between now and quals?

Cameron and Ambersly, I think, are on the bubble; one, but not both, could make it, unless Santino is unavailable.

So, there you have it.

I think of all the of college players who SHOULD go pro, C.J. Klaas is #1 on the list. I hope he is in a MLS kit in March.

3. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whitbred of Liverpool is fighting for a spot.

4. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    What about Frankie Simek (with Arsenal reserves, IIRC). I noticed his name in another u-20's thread, but didnt see much info about him? Is he cap-tied to the US, or have a choice at playing for England? Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I don't know anything about him, other than him being with Arsenal.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    IMO, Shaster's speculation is pretty close.

Basically, there are 2 variables in the selection of Rongen's 18 for qualifying.

The first is whether or not he selects Whitbred and/or Simek. The second is whether Quaranta is healthy enough to play.

For the sake or argument, let's assume both the British-based backs play and Quaranta is healthy. If that's the case, I think the roster looks like so.

GK - Steve Cronin, Ford Williams.

D - Chefik Simo, Chad Marshall, Ryan Cochrane, Zak Whitbred, Frankie Simek, C.J. Klaas

M - Bobby Convey, Justin Mapp, Devin Barclay, Jordan Stone, Ricardo Clark, David Johnson

F - Santino Quaranta, Eddie Johnson, Mike Magee, Knox Cameron

I'm going out on a limb a bit with David Johnson but I've heard Rongen really likes him, both his game and his versatility. He can back up at right mid, d-mid or attacking mid.

If D. Johnson isn't picked, I figure it will either be Ned Grabavoy or Raul Palomares.

Now, if Quaranta isn't healthy, that thrusts Magee into the starting lineup and then Mike Ambersley makes the team as a backup forward.

If only one of Whitbred or Simek makes it then I think it opens up the door for Chris Lancos. If neither of them make it, Lancos will likely be joined by Jordan Harvey.

But, as Dennis Miller likes to say, that's my opinion, I could be wrong.

6. Bethlehem

Bethlehem New Member

May 18, 2002
    Sandon's Pick

Right on. The wildcards are Quaranta, Simek, and Whitbread. All three are questionable for the qualifying round - Quaranta (injury), Whitbread & Simek (no time with the team) - but all are still in the picture for the championships when we qualify.

I concur that Johnson's versatility will likely cause Rongen to select him (not counting his solid performance in Spain). I also think it will be difficult to keep Magee off of the roster because of his knack of putting the ball in the goal (whether he fits Rongen's style of play or not).

7. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone here has forgotten Bryce Wegerle. Or did he suffer an injury that ended his career?

Wegerle plays for Udinese. I believe that he is on the 1st team, not their Primavera squad (youth/reserve).

8. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Whitbred makes the final squad and maybe the qualifying squad. I think playing with the Liverpool Reserves and the USNT U23's says a lot about his talent.

That means two of Simek, Lancos or Harvey don't make it. Lancos might have the nod, IMO, due to versatility. Simek has yet to play for the US U20's, though has been in a camp.

I think David Johnson and Jordan Stone are the back-up mids, with Grabavoy, Capano, and Palomares on the bubble. Grabavoy may push Johnson. Remember Grabavoy has played with the U23's

As others have said, it will be between Cameron and Ambersley for the final forward spot. Cameron gets the nod as Ed Johnson's back-up.

My squad...

GK - Cronin (Santa Clara)
    GK - Williams (North Carolina)
    DF - Simo (Furman)
    DF - Marshall (Stanford)
    DF - Whitbred (Liverpool Reserves, England)
    DF - Klaas (Washington)
    DF - Cochrane (Santa Clara)
    DF - Lancos (Maryland)
    MF - Barclay (San Jose Earthquakes)
    MF - Clark (Furman)
    MF - Convey (Washington D.C. United)
    MF - Mapp (Washington D.C. United)
    MF - D. Johnson (Willem II YT, Netherlands)
    MF - Stone (Dallas Burn)
    FW - Quaranta (Washington D.C. United)
    FW - E. Johnson (Dallas Burn)
    FW - Magee (no club)
    FW - Cameron (Michigan)

9. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is not with their first team...

http://www.udinese.it/squadra/squadra.htm

10. johnaldo9

johnaldo9 New Member

May 2, 2002
    Does anyone think that Santino might play on the right side of midfield, with Johnson and Magee up top? I thought it would be interesting to see 3 DC United players playing together in the midfield.

11. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn so he is with their Primavera squad. Guess that's the case since Jancker signed on.

12. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't think he ever made the first team.

That would have been all over Aris' column.

Sachin

13. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    Frank Simek did play at least once with the team in a tournament in Holland in or around May 2002.

I emailed him about that time and he said he would love to play for the US in the U-20 WC. Although he isn't cap-tied, I'm not sure he is eligible to play for anyone else at this point.

14. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Here is what he said in the interview:

I recently went to Holland over the summer with the U-20 national team and I am suppose to be with them in Spain right now, but Arsenal would not release me because I picked up pretty bad knee injury that I am getting over but I am almost 100% fit. I am playing games now, but they did not want me playing so many games in a weeks time. So they did not let me go to Spain. But hopefully I will go to qualifiers with the team and qualify for the World youth championships.

So he is back to the competition.

15. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Why Cameron as the back-up forward? This guy has had a horrid stretch of finishing and plays in the midfield for Michigan.

Wegerle hasn't outperformed the others so far AFAIK.

16. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he probably did play. I forgot about that trip, though not completely, since this might have been the only time Simek was with the U20's. I did say he had been in a camp.

17. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    In today' socceramerica wire, sounds like Whitbred will not be an option for US U-20. It mentions three additions as Convey, Quaranta and Simak.

18. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Probably Whitbred is leaning towards England, and why not. He's playing there, has lived most of his life there (I think) and he's very good. In fact, when he did play he was cited as probably the best back line performer and a clear standout on the team. Recognizing our teams great results in Spain, he must be quite good to earn recognition in that crowd.

England is a consistently high performer internationally, and if he has a shot at making their team I wouldn't expect him to jump at the chance to represent the US. His ties to England seem greater than his ties here, so we'd have to be a superior opportunity for him to go against that. I think that if he isn't given the opportunity to represent England he may eventually get impatient and join our squad, but if he's not joining for the U-20 stuff, I wouldn't expect him change his mind unless he weren't given the opportunity with England.

Disappointing, but not unexpected. Hopefully the team Rongen and Dave Dir are building will be so impressive Whitbred will want to be a part of it. But even if he isn't, it sounds like Cochrane and Marshall are very good in the center, and Klaas and Simo are pretty good on the wings as well. So we're covered. Simak can likely contribute all accross the back line.

-Tron

19. Bethlehem

Bethlehem New Member

May 18, 2002
    Projected Line-Up

After evaluating the week in Spain, here is my early prediction for the 18 in Charleston (assuming no injuries in the mean time):

Defenders (5)
    Simo, Marshall, Simek, Cochrane, Klaus

Forwards (4)
    E. Johnson, Magee, Cameron, Barclay

Keepers (2)
    Cronin, Williams

Midfielders (7)
    Clark, Mapp, Quaranta, Stone, Grabovoy, Convey, D. Johnson

Quaranta, Simek, and Convey all make the squad. The wealth of midfielders and the ability of Stone to play on the back line warrants one less defender. For example, other than Whitbread, what defender do you take over any of the midfielders suggested?

20. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    How about a little more information than that Shaster.

21. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Re: Projected Line-Up

I agree with that lineup, but I think Rongen will play Santino in tandem with his good-buddy Johnson up top and move Barclay into a floating forward/midfielder role depending on the situation.

-Tron

22. Bethlehem

Bethlehem New Member

May 18, 2002
    Barclay

Digitaltron may be correct about Santino but probably only in a 3-5-2 formation. If the team plays a 4-4-2 expect the line-up to look like this:

E.Johnson Barclay
    Mapp - Convey - Clark - Quaranta
    Simo - Simek - Cochrane - Klaus

23. DLite

DLite New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Santa Ana ,CA
    Does anyone have any idea as to how well Raul Palomares did in his limited action in Spain?

24. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    The above bit from SA:

Next up for the United States: qualifying for the 2003 World Youth Championship Nov. 13-17 in Charleston, S.C. The Americans will hope to have back three players missing from the L'Alcunia tournament: D.C. United's Bobby Convey, the only U-20 with a cap on the senior national team; Santino Quaranta, who may return to action with United before the end of the season; and Frank Simek, the Arsenal youth player who missed the trip to Spain because of an injury.

25. Bethlehem

Bethlehem New Member

May 18, 2002
    Raul Palomeres

The word is that he is a physical player, a hard worker, and is good at holding the ball. Unfortunately, as an attacking midfielder he is not strong at passing and attacking. Accordingly, he is unlikely to be on the squad when there are several others better as a #10.