Who will get out of their groups II

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by jd6885, Aug 9, 2007.

1. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the world cup just a month away, have you changed your mind on who you think will get out of their groups? Last time 'round, the general consensus was as follows

Group A: Germany, England
    Group B: USA, Sweden
    Group C: Norway, Canada
    Group D: Brazil China

Of course there are new factors to consider this time such as Canada's recent poor form and China's improvement, injuries from several countries, etc. Keep these in mind as you vote.

As before, Pick TWO from each group

The groups are as follows:

Group A
    Germany
    Japan
    England
    Argentina

Group B
    Nigeria
    USA
    Korea DPR
    Sweden

Group C
    Norway
    Ghana
    Australia
    Canada

Group D
    China PR
    New Zealand
    Brazil
    Denmark

2. FCMB

FCMB Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Germany, Japan, USA, Sweden, Norway, Canada, China and Denmark.

3. sinclairFan

sinclairFan New Member

Oct 27, 2005
    Ont, Canada
    Germany and Japan - Germany will be first winning all their games, Japan will be second because Sawa controls the game more than Smith can.

USA and North Korea - US will be first, NK second. After the u20 worlds I can't see them dropping out so early.

Norway and Canada - Norway will be first, and hand Canada a wake up call in their first game, Similar to Canada vs Germany in 2003. Canada will then rebound.

Brazil and China - Brazil was a hell of a lot of attacking power, yet at the recent Pan Am games, we learned their defence could possibly be much improved. China will use the home crowd to their advantage.

4. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Group D: Brazil and China

To me, still a very tough group. Since the disastrous Algarve tournament and Swedish coach Domanski-Lyfors taking over, China has lost only twice: they split two games with Argentina 1-0 and lost to the US 2-0.

I have to think playing at home will help and that may give them the nod over Denmark. China plays Denmark in their first game - that should be a heck of a game.

Also, I may have jinxed Denmark! - I got one of their jerseys from a few years back.

Group C: Norway and... Australia!

I'm surprised to find myself saying this but Canada is having serious problems and it seems to go beyond a bad game or two. They have injury problems. Their backline was a little lacking to begin with (ummm- do I bring up those suspended players that are no longer with the team?). None of their goalkeepers seem to be on a roll, although I think they're good goalkeepers (Karina LeBlanc, Taryn Swiatek, Erin McLeod).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Canada make it. But I think this group now is a real toss-up. Maybe we'll know more after Australia's two friendlies against China next week.

Group A: Germany and England.

I like both England and Japan. I think Japan's passing game looked quite good against the US at times. I really don't know on this one. But I should be receiving my Kelly Smith jersey in the next couple days so I guess I have to go with England right now (jinxes be damned!).

5. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va
    yeah, i agree about group c. canada's injuries worry me, and i also saw the matildas play a few months ago; they are fast as hell and pretty big, too. definitley dark horse to get to the quarters

6. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hooper (although her age might be catching up with her) is the Canadian talisman. Such a go-getter, highly motivate individual. And Nonen...I would love to see her play. One of the best defenders in the world!

7. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised Australia aren't getting more votes. I think in the world cup, defense is #1, and Australia has some excellent defenders in Alagich and Salisbury. But I guess their midfield and forwards are virtually unknown. Any aussie supporters here that would know?

8. sinclairFan

sinclairFan New Member

Oct 27, 2005
    Ont, Canada
    Australia have a very good midfielder in Sally Shippard. thats basically my knowledge on their midfield.

9. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    I'm not sure anyone in Group C is a darkhorse - It's pretty slim pickens after Norway and any of the other three can take second. I wish 3 teams could advance from Group B instead. If anyone is a darkhorse to advance, I'd say it's Argentina - I don't think they're ready to get over that hump yet but I do think they'll spoil someone's day.

10. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Group A
    Germany - though we will find out how good the backup GK is, GK could nock them out if they can't score enough goals (Argentina ? replaces them in that case)

England - As long as Kelly Smith plays the majority of games, England could cruise to the top

Group B
    USA - Simply because they may be facing the easiest group, Especially if Scurry plays against Sweeden and upends their striker
    Sweden - by default

Group C
    Norway - just a hunch,
    Australia I think they will be the WWC darkhorse and go to the Siemi's

I am putting no faith in Canada.. Mcleod has been less than special lately

Group D
    China PR -
    Brazil - Could get to the finals

11. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    For the record, I'll agree with Chargefan but I'll take Canada over Australia mostly on sentiment.

For those handicapping the teams there was a story about Canada on the CBC last night which showed Chapman playing and Booth dressed but Gayle not. I'm assuming the video was recent.

12. The Western Hag

The Western Hag New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Can you or any other poster enlighten us about North Korea? I didn't see the u-20 worlds. They must be pretty good.

Has England improved that much? Having Smith play will be a big advantage, but last time I saw them (admittedly, several years ago, Smith injured) they were still 2nd tier.

I think Brazil will be the powerhouse in this tournament.

13. Nillan

Nillan New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Lund Sweden
    Club:
    LdB FC Malmö
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Group B an easy group are you kidding. There are no easy groups or games for that matter, not even for the Us.

14. The Western Hag

The Western Hag New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Couldn't agree more!
    Groups A and C are the easiest groups. The winners of these groups will probably not give up a goal. There is a great disparity between Germany and Norway and the other teams. Groups B and D are reflective of the exciting parity that is beginning to grow in women's international soccer. There are upcoming teams that 10 years ago were nothing. When countries' soccer associations decide that the women's game actually exists and back it with money and publicity, worthwhile results occur. It will be both interesting and thrilling to see the play in Groups B and D.

15. soccermum

soccermum New Member

Sep 24, 2006

This thread from go big red will probably tell you more than you ever wanted to know. If you want the abbreviated version, you can probably read a couple of the linked articles at the beginning of the thread and the end to see how it resolved.

16. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    I am not sure Soccermum what you imply by quoting that thread about players cut.

In any event this is a quote from Fifa talking about the canucks:

The players will now have two weeks to recover from various knocks and strains before getting back to full-time training in Vancouver. "We are ten times better than we showed in Rio," said defender Martina Franko defiantly. "We're going to come back, and want it. This isn't going to hold us back," added Karina Leblanc.

To that I add that action speaks louder than words. We'll see next month!

17. soccermum

soccermum New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Someone asked what happened to the three players. Thought it was easier to send them to that thread where they could read some of the articles than to rehash it here. Not implying anything.

And I apparently posted it in the wrong thread.

18. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    I see. No problem.

19. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    wasn't hooper one of the three kicked off the team?

20. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, she, nonen, and Latham were expelled from the team. That's why I said I would love to see them play

21. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    Recent results for Ghana put them in the strong contender category, at least to qualify out of their group. This was published on another site: Ghana's top player is their captain Adjoa Bayor. Bayor is a former African women's footballer of the year. She will be playing in her third FIFA Women's World Cup with the Black Queens.

22. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va
    ghana beat nigeria 1-0 with the only goal being an own goal. the best player in africa isn't saying much...

23. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    With Australia win over China, I am now wondering if it will be Australia over Ghana getting out of the group.

24. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, last time around, there wasn't a clear consensus on Group D, as Denmark, the 3rd place finisher in the poll, garnered 50.6% of the vote, by far the strongest 3rd place showing of the 4 groups.

Denmark (group D): 50.6%
    Japan (A): 28.2%
    North Korea (B): 25.9%
    Australia (C): 20%

That has changed rather dramatically. Now Denmark is the weakest 3rd place finisher as the others have gained in poll strength. As of today (8/17):

Japan (A): 46.5%
    North Korea (B): 41.9%
    Australia (C): 41.9%
    Denmark (D): 37.2%

The change in Group D is not only due to a reassessment of China but of Brazil. Brazil was, by far, the weakest leader in the last poll with only 71.8% of the poll. Now a consensus has clearly emerged with 88.4% picking Brazil to advance. (China meanwhile has also improved from 64.7 to 72.1%)

25. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow australia beat china?

I knew they would be a strong team. Dark horse of the tourney to reach the semis, I think. Solid defense, all they need is a consistent attack.