Who will CONMEBOL get to fill the 3 empty spots in Copa Libertadores 2010?

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by minus, May 12, 2009.

1. minus

minus Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Portugal
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Vote and Explain...

2. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who will CONMEBOL get to fill the thr ee empty spots in Copa Libertadores 2010?

Who will they put in those three spots? more argentinian brazilian teams? And how about the Sudamericana 2009, since Atlante won the CCL, are they still going to play the Sudamericana? I thought the FMF was out of the CONMEBOL competitions. So would the runner-ups that are not mexican join the Tourney? Like the Islanders, and Montreal Impact? Im really confused on how this will work? Anybody has a clue??

3. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Who will CONMEBOL get to fill the thr ee empty spots in Copa Libertadores 2010?

Moderator can you fix the title from 'thr ee' to 'three'

4. JethroTricolor

JethroTricolor New Member

May 1, 2009
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Re: Who will CONMEBOL get to fill the thr ee empty spots in Copa Libertadores 2010?

I like mexican teams in Copa Libertadores. It makes it more difficult, as the long trip and the stronger teams.

I think the spots should be filled by Suriname, Guiana and Guyana teams, afterwords, they're southamerican countries!

5. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Go back to 32 teams and there won't be any empty spots

6. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    go back to 32 teams (3per country and 1 extra from arg/braz =32)

experiment with saprisa and MLS champ in copa Nissan, to replace the FMF, if they have not made up with conmebol by July :eek:

in 2 moths all this talk is over - and FMF will have dinner in cancun with Leoz-grondona y texeira!

7. nopalnation

nopalnation Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    CA Monarcas Morelia
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Negociaría Conmebol el regreso de México a sus torneos

Julio Grondona, vicepresidente de la Confederación Sudamericana de Futbo, dice que platicarán con los dirigentes de la FMF en el congreso de FIFA, el próximo mes

CIUDAD DE MÉXICO, México, Mayo 13, 2009.- La Conmebol está abierta para negociar el regreso del futbol mexicano a sus competencias, tras el retiro del viernes pasado.
    Julio Grondona, vicepresidente de la Confederación Sudamericana de Futbol, ve solución al tema.
    "Sí, ese es el problema, ese es el problema por el cual vamos hablar. Yo creo que en el mundo nada queda sin solución si hay buena voluntad. Ahora, lógicamente, tenemos que pensar en unos y en otros, nada más", dijo Grondona.

http://www.televisadeportes.com/fut...conmebol-negociar-regreso-mexico-competencias

8. Spencer

Spencer Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Quito
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

Yeah, too bad cause I like them competing with us in the copa. So that they get beaten by our teams ;) No worries though, in the fifa world cup they will still get their ass kicked by our conmebol champions

9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Right now we have what, 38 teams?.... Scale it down to 36, only 4 preliminary playoffs instead of 6, give an extra berth to the champion's country and we should be good to go...

It would be:

8 countries with 3 participants = 24
    2 countries with 5 participants = 10
    defending champion + extra berth = 2

The downside would be that Brazil/Argentina could end up with 7 teams, but if that's the case make two teams from that country play against each other in preliminary round...

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No, I'm not happy. Of course it's better to have Mexican clubs. The stronger the competition, the better, and the Mexican clubs compete. It helps Libertadores become a strong tournament, second only to Champions league in terms of talent, and second to none in terms of excitement.

And it makes sense for Mexico too. They have a strong league for Concacaf, and Copa Libertadores is the best venue for them to measure their clubs strength internationally against strong competition.

This without getting into the financial aspects.

So, it's a win-win for everybody if Mexico was to participate, and a lose-lose if they don't. They'll be back.

11. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Umm this is a obvious one, maybe Conmenbol should give more spots to their own countries?

Have some playoffs between Conmebol countries and whoever advances gets the spots.

I don't have no problem at all with Mexicans teams, they added more competition to the tournament but I would prefer us to be like everyone else and have our own tournament just for our confederation, we where the only ones that allowed guests and it kinda made us look like a joke.

But I'm pretty sure Conmebol officials are gonna miss the money and go crawling back to the FMF and beg for mercy. :rolleyes:

12. Arango82

Arango82 Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Caracas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Back to 32 teams with 1+ for Bra/Arg

13. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am fine with it, it should have not been this way though.

I think for the cost of having "better competition", let alone longer travels we're just helping outsiders instead of focusing on our own, the free spots should be given to other countries, Argentina and Brazil have more than enough as it's.

14. utilero

utilero New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everybody in this thread talks about keeping the 32 team format, but without Mexican teams can this still be done? Both cups were expanded to include the Mexican teams. The money from the sponsors allowed the cups to grow, but without the sponsors will CONMEBOL keep the 32 team format?

Before Mexican teams started to participate, the Libertadores was played with only 20 teams. Five groups of four teams each with the top three teams advancing in each group and the previous champion being the 16th team in the round of 8's.

So you can bet that there is a strong possibility that CONMEBOL may be forced to redo the format of both cups to include less teams. No sponsors means no money to pay for travel expenses and lodging for 32 teams.

It is in CONMEBOL's best interest to either find new sponsors or work something out with the Mexican teams. Most South American teams depend on the cup money to get through their yearly expenses. Both Nacional and Sao Paolo did not get paid the TV money for the 8's round since the teams did not play. No game, no money.

15. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Saprissa can't go, since they are already qualified for the next CONCACAF Champions League.

Similarly, the MLS Cup (and Supporters' Shield) winners can't go, since they are also CCL bound.

Regarding the question in the thread, I doubt that the issue will continue much longer after the current H1N1 outbreak runs its course - but while it's unfortunate for the Mexican teams who would otherwise go to Libertadores and Sul-Americana, perhaps, for this season at least, it might make it that bit more important for the likes of Pachuca to try and actually win their domestic tournaments and go to the CCL instead...

16. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Not entirely true. Perhaps for the Copa Sudamericana it would be true but for the Libertadores is another.

Saprissa could go. That is...if we don't make the KO stage of the Mickey Mouse Cup (and if CONMEBOL say we can, I will pray that we don't make it far on the MMC..

The same for the MLS champions. They could go, too. There are always plenty of teams qualifying weeks or even days before the Copa Libertadores starts. Why not us?

17. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Feel free to call CONCACAF or CONMEBOL about it, but I'm fairly sure that once a CONCACAF side is a lock for the CCL, the confederation refuses access to both the Libertadores and Sul-Americana.

If they didn't, there would be less need for the likes of the InterLiga - which is made up of teams that can't go to the CCL anyway.

(Pachuca qualified for that InterLiga since they failed to qualify for the 2008-09 CCL - but if they win or come runners-up in the current liguilla, they would have had to give up the CONMEBOL berths anyway, even without considering the current break between the FMF and CONMEBOL.)

18. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I think that if, say, CONMEBOL says, "sure. We could invite one team from Costa Rica and 1.5 from MLS" we could simply wait until the group stages finish to see what sort of qualification process we should use.

Not to mention...CONMEBOL has invited us 3 times (and each time CON-CACA cock-blocked us). Give us one chance and if we don't do well, they will never hear from us again.

19. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The problem is not with CONMEBOL, it's with CONCACAF - who are rather more jealous concerning letting their teams scoot off to the part of South America not already in their confederation...

20. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I say ********'em.

It's one thing to say you can't go because you are going to a tournament but after becoming eliminated, there is very little they can do to prevent a team from doing so. It just depends on the circumstances. If, say, Saprissa were eliminated during the group stages, CON-CACA will have very little pretext in trying to say no to our participating in the Libertadores.

Not to mention...I am tired of participating in this shit tournaments in our own confederation and being treated like a dirty stepchild. At least in CONMEBOL, there would be a good reason for it but it is made up by the fact that we can potentially face world-class teams.

That's the difference.

21. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Like it or not, CONCACAF has their say in the matter.

Leaving aside the quality of the teams that were still good enough to eliminate Saprissa from the most recent CCL, the CONCACAF tourney does allow its champion to go to the Club World Cup, something that winning the Copa Libertadores would not offer a Cost Rican side.

If it was still the case that CONCACAF ran a smaller tournament like the old Champions' Cup, and thus had Copa Interclubes as a qualifying tourney, one could in theory use it as a means of determing allocations for CONMEBOL also, since Central America as a whole has more depth than any one country there in terms of competitive teams.

(Still not as much as Mexico, but better than nothing.)

So, in that scenario, any UNCAF sides which didn't make it to the CONCACAF competition via Interclubes could have angled for a CONMEBOL berth, the way that runner-up Mexican sides do at present - though you'd still be talking about one CONMEBOL slot at best.

However, in the absence of Interclubes, and given the current CCL format, it's not too feasible, even if CONMEBOL wished to extend such an invite...

22. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    As a Tico, I would rather have Saprissa play in CONMEBOL then in this shitty confederation CWC or not.

23. tavoludo

tavoludo Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This thread has no point. Mexican teams will be back in libertadores, maybe even with 1 or 2 more spots. Mark my words.

24. Naui_Ocelotl

Naui_Ocelotl Member

Apr 3, 2008
    I too think Mexican clubs will be back, I don't know about the extra spots though.

25. Arthur V

Arthur V Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Brasilia, BRASIL
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They'll be back.