Who will become Oklahoma City's top rivals?

Discussion in 'Rayo OKC' started by Laramie, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Taking a page from Penkse's play book (NY Comos); we need to begin a rivalry thread.

Before you post? Don't forget to say may I...

2. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When it comes to NASL, I'm looking at San Antonio for proximity. They seem to be a good passionate bunch and will likely have a constructive rivalry with us.

Need to keep the Tulsa rivalry simmering, too. Since we're (likely) playing them this spring in NPSL, we can get that churned up and get three benefits: 1) Top Funk's team for sheer passion (Who do you want to see our city play against - Harrisburg? Dayton? or TULSA?), 2) Help Tulsa make their case for NASL expansion (All they need is an owner, and that team would be a smash), and 3) get the momentum going for next season's jump.

Another rivalry...sure, but it should develop naturally. Dallas-Colorado and Chicago-New England were borne of close and brutal playoff series. We need a rivalry that will fit into team lore.

3. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Antonio for sheer proximity seems obvious. But @Brother Badgerjohn is right, rivalries can be borne of sheer competition. I would hope that NY Cosmos would grow to be one, or Tampa Bay Rowdies. And if Tulsa gets a team, then sure. But I'm tired of worrying about whether Tulsa will be in this league, or that league. Frankly, I don't really care anymore. I used to, just not anymore. I'm only concerned about Oklahoma CIty

4. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #4 Laramie, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    The distance between these two cities is 420 miles. Does this makes it the closes city to OKC in the NASL? Oklahoma City has a current rivalry with this city (SA) in the NBA and a previous rivalry in minor league football--Oklahoma City Wranglers vs. San Antonio Toros.

The Tulsa Now forum has a thread posting that states 'Oklahoma City FC will be playing the New York Comos, not Tulsa.'

Tulsa drew in excess of 30,000 at Skelly Stadium (now Chapman) whenever the Comos came to town.

5. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can they get that many in the recently renovated Driller Park?

Hell, the Cosmos can't even draw flies in their park. But I hear they're going to build a 250 M stadium and be playing like Arsenal and Chelsea every week.

6. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  7. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #8 Laramie, Sep 12, 2013
    This is indeed a unique situation having two ownership groups competing for the right to call Oklahoma City their market.

Will it be:

1. United Soccer League-Pro (USL-Pro).

Pros: Funk group does have the money to financially get Oklahoma City through this league and later partner with the City of Oklahoma City to build a soccer specific stadium. Funk has mentioned his intent to pursue a MLS franchise.

Robert A. Funk is the founder, CEO, and Chairman of the Board of Express Employment Professionals, an employment agency company headquartered in Oklahoma City.[1] He owns various enterprises, including sports teams, through his Express subsidiaries and is also a philanthropist who sits on the governing boards of multiple organizations.[2] He is also chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank in Kansas City.[3]
    Before founding Express Employment Professionals in 1983, Funk was a personnel consultant (1965) and Vice President (1975) at ACME Personnel Services. He is an alum of both
    Seattle Pacific University and the University of Edinburgh (Scotland).[ --Wikipedia

Cons: Funk's group is going to get by on as low a budget as you can get. Previous management teams put together when Funk owned the RedHawks and now the Barons doesn't look promising. He took control of the Virginia Slims Tennis tournament which hosted regulars like the Williams sisters and that was later acquired by Memphis.

Management issues would be the main concern based on this group's previous encounters.

Funk's previous plans to help upgrade UCO's Wantland Stadium to a 20,000-seat soccer & football venue, never materalized: http://www.uco.edu/alumni/pdf/Spring2003.pdf

2. North American Soccer League (NASL).
    Pros: Lund with Sold Oout Strategies (SOS) does have the experience and know how to assist Tim McLaughlin who is spearheading the Oklahoma City NASL franchise. McLaughlin has the financial backing to operate a successful NASL franchise.

Brad Lund has served in an executive capacity in the Oklahoma City market for the past 19 years. He currently is overseeing Oklahoma City’s efforts to land a world-class Grand Prix in downtown OKC. Lund is actively involved in the local tennis community as director of Friends of OKC Tennis, OKC Tennis Classic, and the Oklahoma City Open USTA Pro Circuit Futures.
    From 1992-2008, Lund was the lead executive for one of North America’s most respected minor league hockey franchises – the Oklahoma City Blazers. During his tenure with the Central Hockey League franchise, the Blazers posted the top attendance average in all of minor league hockey (9,123). The franchise set numerous industry benchmarks, including leading the CHL in attendance in each of the 16 seasons under Lund’s helm, and ranking number-one in all of minor pro attendance on five occasions.--source SoldOutStratgies.com

Cons: Uncertainty about funding of a soccer specific stadium for Oklahoma City. McLaughlin could also partner with the City of Oklahoma City to build a soccer specific stadium.

Will this group pursue an MLS franchise if they are successful in the NASL?

Summary:

Prodigal's United Soccer Leagues PRO franchise will begin play in the spring of 2014, while Lund and his advocates are trying to bring a North American Soccer League team to the city for spring 2015.
    “Brad's long-term plans, as he explained it, were to build a soccer-specific stadium, on a site that hadn't really been determined, with funding that hadn't really been identified,” Cornett said. “But he seemed to feel confident that he would figure it out.--source: NewsOK July 12, 2013

9. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to ask, but are you sure you're referring to the correct Funk? I THINK you're talking about Bob Funk Sr., instead of Jr who is the head of Prodigal LLC. From what I can gather Brad Lund had a good relationship with Bob Funk Sr after he purchased the Blazers. The problems started when Funk JUNIOR came into the family biz. Anyhoo...

10. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #10 Laramie, Sep 12, 2013
    Your signature ManuSooner says it all:

"We have no desire to be anyone's minor league, and we definitely have no interest in developing players for other leagues."--Bill Peterson, NASL Commissioner

If he has such a good relationship with Funk Sr., then why are these groups battling? Robert Funk Sr., owns Prodigal LLC does that carry any weight?

Bob Funk Sr., has turned over leadership of Prodigal to Jr., and without Sr., the son wouldn't be the focus of this group.

What I posted IMHO was what I thought were the strengths and weaknesses of both groups. Personally, I want the best for Oklahoma City; however, don't kid yourself if you think I'm going to take sides and slam one group and glorify the other. Stay as positive as we can about these groups. If Funk Sr., still has a good relationship with Lund then maybe a resolution can be worked out. This situation will play itself out.

Those of you who favor the NASL group as I do; what if Funk eventually brings MLS to Oklahoma City? Are you going to support the group you were so vehemently against?

Let's not lose sight of our goal for Oklahoma City and that is to eventully bring the best level of soccer available among the various leagues.

11. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree. But in IMHO NASL is the best league for OKC UNTIL/IF we get an MLS team. As I said, this may be just my opinion, but I just don't believe all of the crap that's been/being spewed by supporters of USL-Pro;
    "USL-Pro is the best derka, derka, derka. Roadmap to MLS derka, derka,derka..."

12. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #12 Laramie, Sep 12, 2013
    Overwhelmingly agree to a degree .

You only need to look at Funk's track record with sports franchises; investing some cash and getting the right management in place will be his ulimate challenge.

USL-Pro is not a prerequisite to getting an MLS franchise. The new NASL will be competitive and who knows, the two leagues could merge using the more solid franchises in place.

13. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What about Minnesota United chances of becoming a rival? We play them in the NBA (Timberwolves) as well as the SA Spurs.

ManuSooner repped this.
  14. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I've said in other threads I personally don't want to see Oklahoma City's professional soccer team play in a league where four of the teams draw <1000 per game, and apparently that's ok?!? Whenever people on BS discuss Dayton, VSI Tampa, LA Blues I always get the feeling that they are trying to justify their poor attendance by saying that they are more interested in their academies. To me, that is NOT a good explanation. BUT, if that's what THEY want to do, then great! I just don't want to see OKC in that league. Once again, maybe that's just my opinion.

15. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could definitely happen. I remember back in the day one of Tulsa Roughnecks biggest rivals was Minnesota Kicks. Those were always great games to watch

16. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh, those uniforms and that logo....

17. FCjason

FCjason Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Antonio for sure. At least until Tulsa has a pro team (if they ever get one).

It's looking more and more like the MLS is going to start planting USL teams to help their player development. That's great for US soccer as a whole, but I've never been big on OKC being a minor league team. Leave that to the Tulsa's of the world.
    That being said...IMO, NASL should start getting aggressive in expantion.

ManuSooner repped this.
  18. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which one was worse?

19. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NASL is getting aggressive already - they'll nearly double in size from now to when we enter the league. Their focus - second tier cities - is a good call, and should include Tulsa.

As for the Minnesota Kicks, the logo was way worse. You've been warned:

[​IMG]

20. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always liked this one upload_2013-9-13_6-8-22.png

21. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But this one was dreadful [​IMG]

22. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    My God! Where are you getting these logos? I remember driving to Tulsa to see the Comos, Kicks and several other NASL teams and seeing what you guys are displaying, I've seen nuns in better attire. These colors and badge ccombinations would make a University of North Carolina alum run for cover.

23. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about this one? [​IMG]

24. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And who can forget...[​IMG]

25. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    New England Teamen? A nice traditional badge for Boston!

Who in hell is the Caribous? Sorry, that was Denver in the old NASL.