who will be in france for confed cup?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Papin, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm making the trek over to France and was wondering who all is going. Is Sam's Army going as a group? How many people are going on their own? Any plans for U.S. fans to meet up?

2. BoulderBuck

BoulderBuck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 11, 1999
    New York
    i'll be there, i'm just debating whether to get tix with sams army or not.

3. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    lyon? uggh, i had free housing in paris!

oh well. a trip to southern france isnt so bad!

4. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anybody have any concerns about security? crowd trouble (turkey match, what with recent political developments)? Just curious.

5. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    nope.

you cannot live life in fear...

you will never be able to enjoy it if you do.

personally i dont think there will be any security issues that will create a large problem. i think that things will be handled well by the french and everything should be alright...will there be a few idiots among the bunch causing trouble? sure, there always are...but i don't worry so much about them.

6. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville

I fully agree with you. It's too bad many don't.

Kevin

7. Brihodge

Brihodge New Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Unterwegs
    I'm planning as of now on going, and would like to hook up with some other yanks, sit in a dedicated section, etc. Any info on anyone (Sam's Army or otherwise) putting a trip together?

8. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be taking a train from Zurich for the Brasil and Cameroon games. I have some friends that may join me for the Brasil game but they don't want to take off time from work for the others.

I would definitely be interested in hooking up with other BigSoccer and USA fans before, during, and after the games!

9. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am doing my absolute BEST to sway my girl into making the trip down from Norway for at least one or two group games.

Currently she is luke-warm to the idea. I think I can talk her into it, but it's gonna be tough.

Things I can spin favorably: We lived in southern France and had a great time, really enjoyed the region, and talk often of going back, to do things we didn't get to do while we were there. We will be living in Norway and it doesn't take much to get to Lyon via train or car. We would get to see the U.S. take on Brazil and possibly France if we advance, in front of what I assume would be some really good crowds.

Things she keeps sayin' to discourage me: We will have just gotten married and she isn't sure southern France that time of year is any place for a honeymoon. We won't have tons of dough to spend just yet. There might be some lingering family and friends after the wedding from this side of the pond who we'd like to show around Norway. Also, she has it in her head that we might be able to swing the Norway vs. Denmark Euro qualifier in Copenhagen in early June.

Hmmm...the tension rises....

10. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be going to the confed cup without a doubt.

REALLY looking forward to it as well.

11. David Allan

David Allan New Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Southeastern PA
    Norway - Denmark sounds intriguing. Is there a big Scandinavian rivalry?

As to France, just keep your eyes pealed and your ears open, like always.

12. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    There with a group of other supporters from New England. Looking more like just for the first round at the moment in my case, but still a good trip.

The Magpie

13. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Just bought my plane ticket yesterday (3/9). I'll be getting into Lyon on Wednesday the 18th at 10:55 AM, returning on the 25th at 11:55AM.

Not sure what the full itinerary will be, but depending on the draw I might try to make one of the regional UEFA Intertoto matches on Sunday the 22nd.

The Magpie

14. bjonas16

bjonas16 New Member

May 6, 2002
    florida, USA
    confederation cup

me and my buddy are going to the tournament, but still have not purchased tickets yet for the tournament. they have this ridiculous city-pass thing, that they are making us buy tickets for other matches that i don't care about. does anyone know if sams-army is going to the tourney?