Who will be German Strikers for WC

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Wotan, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wotan

Wotan New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Philadelphia (& CAL)
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    On one of the other threads- someone mentioned that a thread on German strikers should be started. So- here it is.

I was wondering if Klinsi would carrry 4 or 5 strikers. I think having Ballack on the attack- Germany could get by w carrying 4 strikers.

My choice: 1) Podolski 2) Klose 3) Neuville 4) Hanke or Kiessling (I've seen a few peole mention Thurk)---Anyway----who do you think will be selected. :) ?

2. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    poldi, klose, neuville and Asamoah will be chosen.

its alright because asamoah will warm the bench. but he too can score .

i would have liked to see thurk

3. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I guess Klinsmann will go with
    Klose, Podolski, Asamoah, Kuranyi and Neuville

but I would prefer Hanke or Kiessling over Kuranyi.

4. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Ballack being a forward would be a complete waste of time and we would be definitely be gone in the first round.

1) Klose
    2) Podolski
    3) Kuranyi
    4) Neuville

5. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Hanke out first 2 games, and has actually played worse than Kuranyi. But I will give you that Hanke has less support in Wolfsburg.

Kiessling....has done well. But I think Vittek and Schroth have done better as a tandem for FCN. I think we should also save him for U21 championships.

6. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    Klinsi's said that he's taking 5 forwards to the WC.

Article Link

According to the article, Klose, Podolski, Kuranyi and Asamoah are the top 4 picks up front, with Neuville and Hanke battling for the 5th place. IMO, Neuville shouldn't even have to battle with Hanke for the 5th place.

My 5 would be: (* denotes starters)

Klose*
    Poldi*
    Kuranyi
    Neuville
    Asamoah

Overall I don't mind this 5-some. Kuranyi as a backup to Klose (which hopefully shouldn't have to requiring "backing up". Neuville and Asamoah can add their presence as 2nd half subs. Asamoah is also versatile enough to play as a right sided midfielder should the oppurtunity have to arise, which makes him a nice addition IMO.

Kuranyi's poor form is worrying (as it had been for us Schalke fans as well), but he has a good record in the NT (he scored 10 goals for us in 2004), and honestly is not as bad as many here are making him out to be. Hanke is in just as poor of form as Kuranyi (if not worse), and would miss the first 2 games anyways. In terms of Kiessling, he's untested at the international level, and I think many people are somewhat overrating his performances this year. He's spent the majority of the 2nd half of the season as a subsitute as well. I agree with TOLH, that Kiessling should be saved for the U21s (as should Trochowski and Fathi).

7. Wotan

Wotan New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Philadelphia (& CAL)
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree w your list w one exception. I'd replace Asamoah with Hanke.:)

8. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is tough and I'm sure Klinsman will surprise a few of us with his selection but here is what I would like to see, keeping in mind how much each of these players can actually contribute to our team:

1. Klose
    2. Podolski
    3. Neuville
    4. Hanke

I don't think we will need a fourth striker in the opening two games and Hanke is a player with some flare and spirit that also has a strikers instinct, two qualities combined whereas Asamoah and Kuranyi each own one of those qualities only.

Hanke is a risk though because he is young and free sprited on the pitch in a sense, while being fearless and experimental, he could also prove lackluster in workrate and overall contribution to the team effort.

9. Wotan

Wotan New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Philadelphia (& CAL)
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Excellent insight, ForeverRed ! Hanke DOES have "strikers instinct"! German NT needs that. I, too, feel that Klinsi will surprise w his selection of strikers. ---------AND..........whatever happened to Martin Max?

10. pizarro_boy

pizarro_boy New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    for me
    ------
    1)Podolski
    2)Klose
    3)Lauth
    4)Neuville
    5)Kiessling

NO kuranie NO Asamoah

11. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    He's like 38 right now right? Long retired.

12. Zwanzigoetzel

Zwanzigoetzel New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    USA
    No kidding....However Hanke fits in better with Klinsmanns "rejuvenation" stradegy. Old farts like Neuville are history as far as he is concerned.
    Klinsmann will chose Hanke......and once again make a wrong decision.

However I'd chose Hanke over Assamoa or Kurnayi any time.

13. Lionhead

Lionhead New Member

May 3, 2006
    Giesing Heights
    True, but he never got a chance to prove his ability.

Only Poldi, Klose, Lauth, Kuranyi should be in the squad. Noone else has really deserved to be called.

14. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hmm... I support Hanke and Kiesling, becuase I do not wish to see both Podolski and Kuranyi play at the same time. Kuranyi looks like the kind who will get bullied by opposite defenders.Same goes for Podolski. So should Klose miss a match in the World Cup, or be injured, there should atelast be a striker who will not be pushed around. Thats why I'd pick Asamoah or Hanke or even Bobic :p. I agree Kuranyi has scored quite a few goals for the NT and his strike rate is good too, but he has been injured and hasn't done much in the last few months.

15. Wotan

Wotan New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Philadelphia (& CAL)
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I do hope Klinsi gets some "new blood" into the strikers. I've heard good things about Kiessling too. (re; Martin Max--I was just being facetious---but- just trying to point out how badly we need strikers. Maybe Klinsi should work out a few weeks & activate himself! lol:D

16. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    you are right asomoah and kuranyi will dissapoint german fans to death if podolski or klose gets injured

17. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Klose
    Podolski
    Kiessling

for the fourth spot its a choice between crap and crap:

Hanke, Kuranyi, Asamoah, Neuville

I'm not fond of choosing one of them ;)

18. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    neuville is very paceful,please chose him

19. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Neuville is fast crap.

Oh man...I had a joke about this, but I don't think I should say it. It might give people the "runs."

********! :D

20. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No, he has one good game and the next 9 games of him are usually crap (same goes for Hanke, Kuranyi, etc)

21. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    It´s not important, who of them will be nominated by Klinsmann.

He only needs to have the feeling for choosing the right day
    to put them on pitch (only at their good day). :D

22. Lionhead

Lionhead New Member

May 3, 2006
    Giesing Heights
    [QUOTE="Eisenfuß" Eilts]It´s not important, who of them will be nominated by Klinsmann.

He only needs to have the feeling for choosing the right day
    to put them on pitch (only at their good day). :D[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. It will be like a lottery. If you pick the right numbers you could be lucky. Before each game Klinsmann should put all the numbers in a hat and draw two to play. With that he might even be able to surprise the opponent's coach:confused: . On the other hand if that would result in teaming up Neuville and Asamoah the soccer world would have at least a good laugh...:D

23. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Sorry, but someone who has never played a game for the NT a month before the WC should not be named to the squad. If he belongs on it he should have been brought in a long time ago to get some experience.

24. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh yeah, what an argument :rolleyes:
    The sole criteria for nomination should be the quality of the player and not the overall nominations. Furthermore, it is about personal opinions in this thread, if you don't like mine than I'm fine, but I won't change my opinion because of your silly argument

Furthermore, you can't logically justify normativ statements liek the one you made

25. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    OK, and how can you adaquately asses his quality for the national team when he HAS NEVER PUT THE SHIRT ON?

I'll reiterate my point: If he belongs on the team he should have been brought in a long time ago to get some experience.

You don't put someone with zero experience at this level and zero experience working with the other national team players out on the field for the first time in a World Cup.

He may be Jesus is soccer boots, but unfortunately the time to bleed new talent for this world cup passed a couple months ago.