Who was a better central defender: Jaap Stam or Frank de Boer?

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Jul 7, 2011.

1. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So I was scrolling trough Bigsoccer and came across this thread:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=23809051#post23809051

So basically Stam is put here on a whole other level than de Boer. In my mind, it was never a discussion that they were on about the same level. When I made a formation in the nighties those were pretty much the first name's I put down on the sheet. Stam and de Boer. Never occurred to me Stam was the strong one of the two. Stam was the muscle, the rock, but de Boer was the brains, did the build up. How is it possible de Boer is not in this list and not seen as somebody who is in the same league as Stam?

What are the thoughts of the Dutch posters on this? Am I missing here something?

2. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I like Frank better because I like footballers. However, abroad defenders and keepers and even holding midfielders are judged on their defending abilities first and foremost.

3. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    I know of the thread you're referring to, I've only just finished reading it after searching for Ajax related topics. :)

Frank de Boer deserves to be mentioned if only for that legendary cross to Bergkamp that you've posted.

Aside from comparing him to Jaap I think what got me the most is the OP/threadstarter naming Carvalho as one of the bunch for the next few spots (I'm too young to remember the other names). Frank de Boer is only 2nd to VDS when it comes to international games. He has played 112 games for Oranje, a number that Carvalho won't ever come close to.

I think Dearman based his opinion a lot on personal awards.

4. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    IMHO Jaap Stam is a better defender, but Frank de Boer is a better footballer overall.

Stam ticked all the boxes for a traditional central defender: sheer strength, size, tackling, marking, jumping, positioning, you name it.. I am surprised he's listed "only" in the 4th group. I didn't think Desailly or Blanc is any better than Stam (though obviously both Frenchmen were richer in terms of trophies).

De Boer may not have had the top-drawer qualities when it comes to defending, but he offered other attributes that made him very well-rounded.. passing, set-pieces, and leadership to name a few.