Who stays and who goes?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by RSL Wonderbra, Nov 10, 2017.

1. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Maybe. I'm assuming we'll have a DP striker - either Yura, or whoever we get to replace Yura. If we don't move Yura, then I'd think Silva is the best realistic option, unless we go DP+TAM at one position.

I think this roster could contend with a couple upgrades. I'm having trouble seeing where those upgrades are going to be. It looks to me like we'll return 10 starters this year, and I don't think that'll be enough to be a top team in the conference.

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10 starters last year /= 10 starters in 2018. I know you're not saying that, but hopefully that part is realized by the fanbase as a whole.
    Mulholland should be coming off the bench. Sunny has to play at his top level to be justified in the lineup. KB needs rotation if he's back next year. The more I look at this roster, the more concerned I get with that part of the pitch. We have a bunch of "ok" players. I know in MLS you can't have top level players in every spot, but having a weakness in your spine is just asking for problems.

Waibel has his work cut out for him. If he focuses in on just one or two players, he runs the risk of an injury or two really depleting this team. However, if he spreads himself thin we'll be a team that just doesn't have the necessary talent to compete.

3. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I hadn't heard (or didn't remember hearing) about the team's interest in him. Thanks for the reminder. (Link for the similarly unconnected).

4. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Yeah, this is my exact concern. I really do like Sunny, and I think he could have easily found somewhere else in MLS if we'd let him go. But I've seen rumored TAM additions at like $2 million. That's crazy. That should be enough TAM for two major additions, at least. I'd hoped for two midfield signings, but it does look like it'll just be one.

Sunny, Luke, and Beckerman are all terrific depth for an MLS side, but it looks like one will be a starter. So we're still going to rely on Kyle to start this upcoming year.

5. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we get a top CM, I could live with a CDM rotation of KB and Mulholland, possibly Sunny at times. It'd even give some flexibility on subs, because if you have Rusnak CM KB playing, you could bring on both Mulholland and Sunny if needed, or one of them while subbing a couple in the forward line. I don't think it would be a terrible setup overall.

6. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the TAM goose is that big it’ll inflate all salaries - making the current deals reasonable

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TAM isn't for all, it's for specific player acquisitions. Hence the "Targeted" aspect of it.
    Though maybe I misunderstand what you mean when you say "all salaries"

8. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    It can still have an effect on other salaries, as using TAM brings down your cap hit for the player(s) it is used on, opening up more room for other players on your team in an indirect way.

9. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Money, even targeted, expands the cap by freeing up cash for other contracts for a fixed # of roster spots - ergo everyone's value goes up.

10. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case we can't work things out with Nick Rimando:

11. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cats rule!!!

12. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW! Can't believe you forgot Julie 'the cat' Gaffney'!!! Sign her ASAP!
    [​IMG]

13. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States