Who is United's #1 rival?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Boloni86, Mar 16, 2015.

?

Who is United's #1 rival?

1. Red Bull

50 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. New York City FC

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. Philadelphia

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. New England

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. Chicago

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  6. Columbus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. LA Galaxy

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  8. Seattle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. other

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    In light of our upcoming derby on national TV I couldn't help but ask this question. I think we've had this poll in the past, but between NYCFC joining the league and Red Bull NY rumored as possibly for sale the landscape of our rivalry map is changing. For 20 years this was a no brainer for me … Metros/Red Bull all the way.

But now I'm not so sure. NYCFC has really sparked a surprisingly deep level of hate in me. Of course it helps that I already hated Man City and the Yankees. The only thing worse than a Jersey douchebag is a New York City doughebag (which is the same as a Jersey douchebag except more pretentious).

Problem with hating NYCFC is that every one else in I95 corridor will hate them just as much. For them we're just another Philly or New England … fun to hate for a week but not really an existential rivalry. Problem with hating Red Bull (besides the fact they may not be around much longer) is that now their few dozen fans will turn primarily at NYC as their main rival. The rivalry suffers when one side is not as invested. That leaves Philly as the logical target, but does anyone around here really care about Philly? To me they're one of the most mundane clubs in the league … half the time I forget they even exist. Now hating New England is definitely something I can get behind, but I can't see that developing any further than it already has.

So where does that leave DC? I fear we could be left in the wilderness as far as rivalries go. I'm curious to see who other DC fans view as their main rival going forward

2. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Metroturds

greatscott repped this.
  3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The Metros are the only historically consistent rival upon which all DC United supporters can agree. They are DC United's rival.

That doesn't mean we can't hate other teams. Personally, I hate LA, Seattle and I'm none-too-fond of these NYCFC people either.

Now, you could make an argument about LA being an old DC United rival. They were back in the old days, but that's faded in recent years as the teams' fortunes diverged. I'd love to see that old rivalry revived, but until we improve drastically, that's probably not in the cards.

Finally, and maybe I shouldn't admit this, with NYCFC coming into the league, I've found myself feeling a little sorry for the Red Bull fans. They are now officially second fiddle. Actually, it started before then. It was Petke's firing. I want Red Bull to be good rivals, but I don't like seeing their fans and that team f'cked over and passed over in quite this way. Maybe it's because they're a legacy team like us, and I want legacy teams respected. But I feel like I'm softening towards the Metros a bit. That team and those fans deserve better ...

... as long as better doesn't come at our expense. ;)

4. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Rivalry & hate are 2 separate things. While rivalries need hate going both ways, I'm satisfied with keeping my hate without it being returned.
    My hates
    Red Bulls
    Galaxy
    Rivalries
    Don't care

henryo and Dizi repped this.
  5. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Chicago. Our greatest playoffs rival. They've thwarted us so many times that I've lost count. They're the mountain that we have to climb. They're the guys who cause C. Gomez to lose his saliva. C.J. Brown.

2) MetroStars. But, beating the Pink Cows is like taking candy from a baby. On the other hand, "you just got burned, Jonny Walker."

3) Revs. Especially during the thugged up Steve Nicols era. Matt Ries. Jay Heaps. Taylor Twellman.

4) Galaxatives. Cobi Jones. Landycakes. Golden Balls. Need I say more?

5) Rave Green, FC. Fat, drunk & stupid is no way to go through life, son.

henryo, Alejandro 10, greatscott and 3 others repped this.
  6. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Well, I put "other" which means all of them. Whenever DCU is playing, that opponent is the #1 rival and I want to see their team suffer career ending injuries, see the coach's head explode and hear the weeping and lamentations of their womenfolk as that pathetic excuse for a "rival" is put out of its misery. Clear enough?

fatbastard repped this.
  7. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Red Bulls and LA are and have always been considered "ye olde enemie(s)"

Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  8. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    That thug was Ric Flair dirty.

Anyway, my list:
    1. Pink Cows
    2. Chicago: CJ Brown, playoff eliminations, Cuatomac Blanco,
    3. Galaxy: 5 MLS Cups, Beckham, LD,
    4. Seattle: "everything" is better up there
    5. Revs

Winoman repped this.
  9. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Voted metros, but I think all yalls answers are just swell

Alejandro 10, Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  10. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Who voted for udder? And Why?

11. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    You are ten million percent wrong. Their sufferings are the elixir of life.

Also, LA can blow me.

Boloni86, NattyBo and fatbastard repped this.
  12. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Nagoya Grampus 8! I'll never rest until we get vengeance against them. That's right, I went all the way back to the 20th century.

Next is Chelsea. Then Leeds United, Getafe and Belgium (The entire country, not the national team- miserable fat Belgian bastards). And I still hate Darren Sawatzky.

Honestly though, the only thing approaching a rivalry is Jersey. But we don't have real rivalries.

henryo, nobletea, Oveki8 and 2 others repped this.
  13. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    I heard that about you. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  14. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    21 votes for Metro, second place has 2 votes right now.

Have to agree it has always been Metro/RBNY for me and even if they go through another name change still be my most hated rival. Everyone else is circumstantial or event based, but hate of Metro goes on.

henryo repped this.
  15. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very much agreed. The saddest thing is that Red Bull GmbH did this to themselves and to the Red Bulls fans. I just hope that Red Bull GmbH* will sell the RBNY organization and stadium to someone who can be bothered to ask American fans what they care about. Red Bull GmbH's first major, major, major mistake was in intentionally not getting that in our country, a team's nickname is the same as the organization's name. They also refused to understand that naming a team after its owner/sponsor is a huge turnoff to American fans.

The next major mistake they have made over, and over, and over again is meddling with roster decisions and approaching it by only splashing the cash like in the Austrian and German teams. We all know that in a salary capped league like MLS, how well your roster fits together in the coach's game plan is more important than raw talent because every team has approximately the same amount of that.

Now that NYCFC exists, no previously unaligned New York area soccer fan will go to watch the "corporate" team, regardless of the actual facts on the ground. Loudmouthed, provincial, shit-talking, self-fellating New Yorkers see the "New York City" name as a reference to the five boroughs rather than the reference to Manchester City that it actually is. They also see the light blue jerseys as referencing the blue in their city flag and an old subway logo. Just dumb luck on City Football Group's part but New Yorkers are eating it up regardless.

Also, for those pretentious, douchey, self-fellating New Yorkers, playing at Yankees Stadium is actually an advantage because they can claim they're cool for watching a game at a facility that their self-fellating geriatric mainstream sports media refers to as "hallowed ground." They also all know how to get there already. As stupid as everyone else in the United States thinks that complaining about taking one subway to cross a river to get a stadium versus taking a different subway and crossing a different river for the same amount of time, it's clearly a thing that pretentious, douchey, self-fellating New Yorkers use as part of their spending decisions. It's stupid but it's the reality in the New York area. Don Garber, a native New Yorker, was completely right about the New York market and how it would play out, regardless of how stupid it is to anyone who takes half a second to think it through.

I want to keep the Red Bulls as our main rival. I also want them to be healthy and have a good fanbase so they'll be around for decades for our fun rivalry and so we can keep celebrating United beating them in a fair soccer game. I actually respect Red Bull fans as they've stuck through some absolute blunders and disrespect from Red Bull GmbH. We won't ever be primary rivals with NYC as they're new and it'll be impossible to have the special shared history we have with NYRB. Philadelphia is a better rival than NYCFC because they view us as such. Also, Philadelphian trash-talk has a certain amount of authenticity to it that New Yorker self-fellating simply lacks, to be polite. Or, maybe we can hope that Baltimore gets a team some day.

*GmbH is the German equivalent of LLC, Red Bull GmbH is the formal name of the company that owns NYRB.

The Franchise, Kempa and TowsonDad repped this.
  16. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted NJRB as well. The hate just runs too deep for too long there... ;)

I giggled a bit while in Houston's airport yesterday on the way back home. Highlights from NYCFC's win were playing and the announcer said, "It looks like New York is finally embracing soccer."

17. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    How are the sounders even on this list? I guess this is like the debates about "group of death" in major competitions...everybody has different criteria

The only teams that are legit rivals, in my opinion, are NYNJ / CHI / NE

Of those I only hate RB right now. It took me years to forget the gutwrenching pain of losing to the Fire in 98. Winning MLS cup in 04 was almost as good as knocking the Revs out the previous game. Until Heaps took over i genuinely HATED that whole organization.

Doesnt seem to have spilled over into the stands but I'd consider Philly a rival based on the way our teams play each other. I dont really hate them because they are too weak to take seriously.

I dont think anybody else in DCs fanbase hated them but my least favorite team/coach/organzation in the past decade was Houston. I detested them on every level and could only tamp down the hate long enough to hope they beat NE in the final a few times.

I didnt like LA but have never hated them. I hated specific players (Jones, Sarvas) but never the team itself.

18. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am trying very hard to imagine "self-fellation," but I can't imagine it's widespread, even in our largest city, apart from a few yogis and maybe some Cirque de Soleil performers.

19. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I counted only 5 "self-fellating"s. Must be Lent.

Winoman, TowsonDad and Cavan9 repped this.
  20. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I got a little ranty there.
    I've known quite a few New Yorkers who verbally do that all the time, especially when it comes to inane comments about how much something is better than you because it's in/from New York, like that's some sort of fundamental axiom of the universe.

Winoman and Boloni86 repped this.
  21. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MetroBulls are falling apart. Come on . . . can anyone really get excited about playing Bergen County's team. Fanwise, NYCFC and the Cosmos are crushing the Austrian Energy Drink Team! Ha, ha ha - that's so Metro!

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  22. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    NYRB. And I'll enjoy watching them crumble.

fatbastard repped this.
  23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Honestly if I was a New Yorker and I had to chose I'd go with Red Bull as the more genuine club. Sure they're corporate, but NYC is a cheap Man City knock off with a dictator oil tycoon as an owner. I wonder how many of those progressive Manhattan & Brooklyn hipsters that will go to NYC games actually know that their David Villa is paid for by fossil fuel profits. I wonder how many know that their club is basically a PR asset for the UAE government.

Not to say that the other billionaire owners in MLS are saints, but still this club seems to be a few notches below everyone else.

24. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Since our team has been owned by monsters like Philip Anschutz and Christian Laettner, I'm not comfortable throwing stones.

Dizi, fatbastard, Boloni86 and 1 other person repped this.
  25. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    lol … I appreciated when Twellman was making a Laettner joke this weekend and Adrian Healy was like who? Who indeed ...