who is the fastest Arg player ever

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by Diego Maradona, Dec 15, 2009.

1. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    For the Nigeria game I was seven rows up behind the Nigerian goalkeeper. I was on the edge of the Nigerian cheering section with my mom, my aunt and my girlfriend. If it wasn't for the security that my mom called we would have been thrown out of our seats by the Nigerians. In the end they were all cool though. I've always had great respect for Nigeria, they are an amazing team. So are their people. Anyhow.

When Diego lines up with the ball for the free kick, we all heard Cani screaming PELUSA, PELUSA!! then seconds later we were all screaming at the top of our lungs.

What an amazing time. I got those tickets from Carlos the owner of Rio de la Plata Bakery. He told me that he had gotten them from someone in the Nigerian consulate but I didn't believe him. I just thought that he was just posturing to make the sale. Needless to say, he wasn't bullshitting and I got to sit with the Nigerian supporters group.

Interesting note for that game. As I was leaving the stadium. The Nigerian supporters were all dancing around a big ass drum in some from of rhythmic dance. I approached them to see what was up. Then I asked this guy what they were doing. He replied that they were doing VooDoo on Maradona. I of course didnt believe him and thought that he was a quack but needless to say that was the game where he was taken in to piss in the tube and was the last time he played in a World Cup.

I earned MUCH RESPECT for VooDoo that day.

Now for the Greece game, I was at about the 25 yard line of the side that Maradona scored his amazing goal. Again surrounded by the enemy. lol. I'll never forget that the Greeks flew a plane over the stadium with a message for Maradona. It said "maradona is a primadonna". Needless to say we sang "y la lo ven, y ya lo ven, somos locales otra vez"!!! I never saw a stadium of greeks disappear out of thin air like I did after Argentina put it to Greece that day 4-0.

The drive home was AMAZING. My flag was hanging from the back of my car all the way from Boston to NYC.

VAMOS ARGENTINA!!!!

2. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Very cool, we sat in section 105 at about the 35 yard line below the press boxes. We were lucky since we got to sit with Argentines and other South Americans. That was the only match I saw i Foxboro but it sure as hell was a good one. At the Cotton Bowl in Dallas I got to see Nigeria/Bulgaria courtesy of a Nigerian friend I played football with. All I can say is that the Nigerians really know how to enjoy a match.

3. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Cool stuff here boys:D, excellent memories. We drove all the way from Canada, ( one hour from Toronto ) to Boston. I too was in the "Greek" section but more in the nose bleeds than Cosmos,lol. My Dad and I and his greek freind/co-worker went to the match, as the goals starting pouring in all he kept saying was how the Greek team just came to watch us play, they love us so much........ awesome, no? We stayed in a hotel about 2 hours from Boston proper before returning home in the morning . At the hotel my Dad and I still had our jerseys on and some people gave us the thumbs up, my Dads freind took his jersey off before we even left the stadium, hilarious!!!:)

4. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, with the exception of those wanting to take our seats, we had a great time with the Nigerians. For some reasons I've always resonated with that team and its supporters. The only thing I'll never forget/forgive was that VooDoo crap they pulled. lol

5. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    After college I played on a club with a few Nigerians and those guys were clowns but pure class and just a blast to be around. 1994 was a very good Cup if you lived in the states due to how easy it was to fly around back then.

6. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, looky here, someone who actually dug up some scientific and competitive proof. + reps

I guess it's not too much to ask for. The more you know, right Mathias.

7. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's Matias, with an accent on the i, I hate the German spelling and was born in Argentina to an Argentine mother and Brasilian father so please in the future do NOT spell my name with an "h", thanks.

8. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I can't promise you that, because I'm bad with names. I'll call you moe from now on.

9. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sounds good Thatcher:D

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is 10.7 legit? If Cannigia was indeed clocked on the 100 meters at 10.7 that is phenomenal.

I think for a soccer player a 40 yard sprint is more relevant than the 100 yard dash. I'd love to have seen Cannigia at his peak clocked at 40 yards, and compare it to the fastest star players in the world, guys like Roberto Carlos or Cristiano Ronaldo. I bet he was up there with the very best.

Of course, maybe the fastest guy of all is some guy who is not a great player, but has great speed. What's the name of that German NT player originally from Ghana? It eludes me now, but he played against Argentina at the last WC, he came in the 2nd half. He wasn't that good really, but incredibly fast. He was said to be the fastest player in the world, and had sprinter speed.

I wonder if he ran the 100 under 10.7, though.

Edit: David Odonkor. (I had to google. it, because I couldn't remember it.)

11. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    :eek:
    Yeah if that guy had better ball controll and a good cross.... watch out:eek:

12. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Was Maradona a fast runner or is Messi faster than him ?

13. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think Maradona had more speed and pace or maybe Maradona is shorter so his strides look faster.

14. El Mandrake

El Mandrake Member

Mar 21, 2004
    en la popu
    Fastest or quickest? Shite La Pulga is what he is because he is fast. I hates england remember Owen's goal on us in '98? That was fast.

15. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Caniggia is the fastest Argentinian player

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeRlJJbtdHc"]YouTube- Benjamin Massing vs Claudio Caniggia[/ame]

He also had good control for someone who ran so fast.

It was rumoured that Dennis Rommedahl of Denmark could run 100m in 10.2 seconds.

16. Illrod3

Illrod3 Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I agree, Caniggia was the fastest, specially after doing a line or two. :D Great player really, just couldn't help myself.

By the way, I really like Burruchaga's push on the video, completely got away with one there.

17. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Caniggia is definitely the fastest Argentinian footballer of all time and probably the fastest footballer of all time as well. He really was on another level. Faster than Henry, Walcott. Maybe Overmars was close.

18. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How much is Caniggia faster then Messi?

19. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Much much faster than Messi. Like I said, Caniggia is probably the fastest player of all time! That's how quick he was. There's fast and then there's extreme speed. That's what category Caniggia was in. I believe he was faster than Henry, Walcott, Eto'o.

Messi is not even the fastest Argentinian at this time. Aguero and Lavezzi are faster than him.
    The impressive thing about Messi is that he is quick in the first few steps and the speed he runs with the ball is almost the same as when he runs without the ball. His speed without the ball is not extraordinary at all.

Look at 0:44, he completely destroys that last defender by running around him.

2:35 - Unbelievable speed, I've never seen anything like that.

20. John Baldessari

Mar 21, 2015
  21. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Juan Pablo Sorin

22. elhichkok

elhichkok New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    Belshina Bobruisk
  23. elhichkok

elhichkok New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    Belshina Bobruisk
  24. 1921

1921 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Sarajevo
    Club:
    FK Zeljeznicar
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    One and only Claudio.....but Caniggia. Fast, faster, CaniggiaEST :)

Pipiolo repped this.