who is the fastest Arg player ever

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by Diego Maradona, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If you have vids to back up your claim, then please post

Mine is el hijo del viento

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drgnx5xef8U"]YouTube- Caniggia, the Fastest Winger of Argentina[/ame]

2. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Piojo Lopez is my choice althought I can't find a video to prove it. This kid had WHEELS instead of legs.

3. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    forgive me but do you mean Claudio Lopez ?

4. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    subjective since speed is measured by time to distance.

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, "Piojo" is Claudio Lopez. He was very fast, but I don't think as fast as Caniggia.

6. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Even if he was as fast (or faster), he was nowhere near as good as Caniggia.

7. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I dont think that discussion had anything to do with skill but rather speed. I agree with you though that, Cani was probably the better player, but Piojo probably made more of an impact with Valencia than did Cani in Italy (atalanta or roma? was it).

I've been trying to find a video of Piojo out running a player, where he starts from behind the opposing teams player, passes him and then gains possession of the ball.

Piojo had wheels! He was/is fast.

8. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    so other than general opinion or nostalgia can we come up with who really was the fastest. I doubt it, I want you to scientifically show me why they are fast.

Offer your observation, your hypothesis, your conclusion. In case any of you have forgotten, it's pretty basic science.

This should really evaluate your critical thinking skills. That's if you're up to the task, of what technically should be something so simple. ;)

9. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ....or you could just positively contribute to the thread knowing that we are basing views only on what we see with no expectation of a definitive answer. Nobody is discussing science except you.

10. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    ...Talk about some people always derailing topics. Geez!

My vote (scientifically unproven as it may be) goes to Caniggia. I'm not exactly inclined to hunt down videos and measure time and distance, accounting for surface, wind drag, etc....It's just from my power of observation.
    Claudio was/is fast but seeing Caniggia fly down the wings just always jumped out at me, with those long telescopic legs. As far as I'm concerned, he is on the fastest I've ever seen discussion period.

1 person likes this.
  11. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah Im inclined to vote for Caniggia, perhaps Zanetti 10 years ago he could fly the length of a pitch , so could Ibarra and Killy in his time was no slouch, but Claudio takes it.;)

12. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't remember Cannigia being the fastest, but the video reminds me he was speedy, I think Kempes was or maybe if my memory serves me right Riquelme. :rolleyes:

This site http://www.rankopedia.com/ZoneID=3/27794/Step1/3488.htm has Maradona faster than Cannigia. I think they're right, afterall, the site says so.

13. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    THEO ********IN WALCOTT :eek:

Higher than our boys, that idiot is not faster than Saviola or Aguero

14. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I think he is but that's all he's got really. Overall Saviola and Aguero are clearly better players.

15. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Theo Walcott has some speed. He's probably doesn't have pace, acceleration like the guys you mentioned with the ball. That's what I meant earlier, to try to prove a little harder why you think your players are fast. A lot of people think speed is how you beat a player when you run with the ball. Messi is fast with the ball, but he's not a fast player.

16. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Higuain is explosive too.:cool:

17. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    While competing for the Argentina track and field team, in preperation for the PanAmerican games, Claudio Cannigia clocked a 10.7 second-100 meter dash. Take into account that Usain Bolt smashed the 100-meter runing a 9.578- but Cannigia was a footballer, running 10.7!

Without a doubt, our fastest player ever was Claudio Caniggia. Running a 100-meter dash at 10.7 is respectable for a track and field star, but for a footballer, is f'ing crazy fast.

Further, take into account that Cannigia ran this in the 1980's, when he was already dedicating himself to football and not to making himself faster for track-n-field, PLUS, in the 80's only a handful of guys ran under 10 seconds.

1 person likes this.
  18. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    I honestly didn't realize Higuain was so fast until he recently. This kid can straight fly.

If that is confirmed, not that I'm saying it's not true, it is truly amazing. Man, this is giving me mad nostalgia.

19. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Cani was the best! Ill never forget his goal against Nigeria in the 1994WC. I was literally yards away. It was amazing. And of course the goal against Brazil in the 1990WC. How amazing was that!

20. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    wow you was at USA 94, man I can't believe that

21. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Wow, I did not know this peice of info, fascinating , thanks.:eek:

22. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sweet Cosmos I was at the Greece game!!!!!! Such highs and such lows in '94 no:(

23. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Man, you've had amazing experiences with this team. Consider me officially jealous. :)

24. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was also at the match with my family.:eek: Where were ya'lls seats?

25. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was at the Greece game as well, surrounded by Greek people. My cousins girlfriend at the time was Greek and I had to buy her a Greek flag to get her into the WC mood. Either way it was a real fun time. I screamed those 4 goals with all my heart. Especially the Diego goal.

I used to be friendly with many greeks at the time and they were all getting on me for Argentinas performance against Colombia, the famous 5-0. The Greeks were coming off their undeafeted qualifying streak or something similar and they were all in the betting mood. They were even giving the tie against Argentina.

I dont like to bet on sports much less when it involves Argentina but a couple of greeks got me. Let me tell you this. I'm still looking for them to this day to get my winnings. They all disappeared into thin air after that game. lol