Who is the best Young Player in Concacaf

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by bballshawn, May 2, 2015.

1. Overachiever

Overachiever Member+

Nov 18, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If it's IN concacaf right now it would have to be between Pineda and Gutierrez, both have 5 goals in the Liga MX, the best league in the region

2. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    When did I say he doesn't belong among the top players in this specific topic? In fact I said the exact opposite. You read that I criticized him and ignored every other part of my post. I wouldn't be surprised if that's all you read before you clicked the reply button.

I'm sure several BSMX posters would agree with me on the Ayala comparison (I don't think you've ever seen Ayala play, although you'll lie and say you have). Gets caught ball watching, loses concentration in spots, makes silly mistakes under pressure every once in a while. We don't need to argue about Brooks, I've seen your comments in his thread on the US boards and you're infatuated with the guy. No one could ever convince you he made a mistake during the match, I certainly won't have any luck.

Gerardo Silva repped this.
  3. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    if you mean FROM CONCACAF it is Tecatito Corona, after him it is either Campbell, Brooks, Rubin, Najar or Gudiño but just like many other posters I don't see Brooks becoming a top player in CONCACAF in the future, I think he'll be solid at best.

if you mean IN CONCACAF the most talented prospects are Hirving Lozano, Orbelin Pineda, Erick Gutierrez and Carlos Salcedo.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The link is now broken.

Try this one:

http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/pdf/wp110_eng.pdf

The rankings for all positions are based on this (so obviously just look at the areas that apply to CB's):

The rankings are based on the CIES Football Observatory exclusive Key performance indicators in the following areas of the game:

• Shooting: ability to take advantage of goal opportunities through accurate shooting.
    • Chance creation: ability to put teammates in a favourable position to strike.
    • Take on: ability to create dangerous situations by successfully challenging opponents.
    • Distribution: ability to keep a hold on the game through efficient passing.
    • Recovery: ability to minimise goal opportunities for opponents through proficient interception work.
    • Rigour: ability to minimise goal opportunities for opponents through robust duelling.

...In my defense repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not just speaking about your comment in this thread, your comments in general about Brooks have been less than complementary. Also, if you take a look at my signature, you aren't saying his weaknesses are similar to Ayala, you said the only thing "he has over him is size."

If he was playing for you guys, you guys would easily be saying he's the best player that fits the criteria of the thread. I see all these comments made by you guys about Corona and Lozano being the best because "they are performing well" in Liga MX and the Eredivisie. What about the player who's performing well at a higher level? You know that you'd be thrilled if Corona's next step was to go to one of the top five leagues and show he belongs as a regular starter, which is what Brooks has already done.

6. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    You're right about this. I should have phrased it differently but that's more lazy writing than anything. The point I was trying to make is precisely that they're similar in other ways except for the size disparity. And it's true.

Like I said twice already (this makes three), I have no problem with him being the top contender in this topic. Corona has been great in Eredivisie so I can see someone making a case for him as well.

Gerardo Silva and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    17-22 is a broad age range but I'll just go with players '93 and later since that's the current Olympic cycle. The first two names that popped into my head were John Brooks and Jesus Corona since they're the two most established players from this age range in Europe. Looking at their numbers, they're both established starters for their clubs and look poised for bigger moves.

Brooks - 41 appearances in the Bundesliga (3 goals), 29 in the 2 Bundesliga (1 goal)
    Corona - 40 appearances in the Eredivisie (9 goals, 4 assists) and 31 appearances in Liga MX (2 goals, 2 assists)

Let's take a look at some other established players (at least 20 appearances) from this age range in Europe:

Andy Najar ('93) - 46 appearances in Belgium (7 goals, 7 assists), 6 in Champions League (1 goal, 1 assist)
    Rubio Rubin ('96) - 26 appearances in the Eredivisie (3 goals and 6 assists)
    John Jairo Ruiz ('94) - 26 appearances in Belgium (5 goals, 5 assists) and 8 in Ligue 1

Of the guys currently playing in the region with regular first team action, I can only speak for the MLS guys and a few of the Mexican ones. The ones who have impressed me the most (in no particular order):
    Deandre Yedlin, Tommy Thompson, Matt Miazga, Erick Gutierrez, Hirving Lozano, Carlos Fierro, Alvas Powell, and Roberto Chen (technically in Europe but has only had a few appearances).

Out of the academy guys who I've seen from youth competitions who have yet to make first team appearances:
    Cameron Carter-Vickers, Jordan Morris, Ismael Diaz, Alberth Elis, Cyle Larin, Alejandro Diaz

bballshawn and Orlandinho repped this.
  8. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    ok u dont think brooks will be a top prospect, but u think salcedo will?

9. MK3owner

MK3owner Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Kissimmee FL.
    Club:
    Deportivo Toluca FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Opinions, how do they work?

LaMascara and Overachiever repped this.
  10. AMLO2018

AMLO2018 Member+

Monterrey
    Mexico
    Jul 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    John Anthony Brooks is a younger version of Oguchi Onyewu. Very clumsy giant who's recent games with the USMNT have been mediocre as hell

MK3owner, Overachiever and Lukato repped this.
  11. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    erick gutierez, best player in liga mx in my opinion

Gerardo Silva, manuel84 and Overachiever repped this.
  12. manuel84

manuel84 Member+

Oct 16, 2012
    Tatatatamaulipas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Salcedo and López are also having a great season. López is the best RB in the league.

Gerardo Silva and LaMascara repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The player in my avatar is having a great season in MLS.

14. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well, we'll need a name

Richy_Rich repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  16. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    well, Shea and Agudelo also had great seasons in the MLS afaik

17. bemore_

bemore_ Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul

Scored 2 goals today....

Gerardo Silva and Stellular6 repped this.
  18. Stellular6

Stellular6 Member+

May 31, 2012
    Looking for a new avie
    11 goals & 4 assists with a game still left to play

Gerardo Silva and bemore_ repped this.
  19. tuzo91

tuzo91 Member

May 11, 2015
    durango
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    hirving chuky lozano,erik gutierrez,jurguen damm and tecatito corona

Gerardo Silva and LaMascara repped this.
  20. elmaestro2

elmaestro2 Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Chicago(west burbs)
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Brooks is a solid player. However I also see some clumsy movements out of him and as others have said he tends to make mistakes at the wrong time, a la that Denmark game when he lost Bendtner. He looked like a big slow goof on that play. While I think he'll be a good European league player I don't see him being an elite CB. Like Onyewu he will struggle with smaller, quicker, and more creative players.

AMLO2018 repped this.
  21. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    looks like its settled. Tecatito is the best young Concacaf player!

Gerardo Silva, bemore_ and LaMascara repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why? Because he's tall?

Talk about being ignorant.

23. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    If knowledge were required when providing opinions, you'd be banned by now.

Surprised you haven't mentioned Miazga lately after his clumsy performance last weekend. LOL

24. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    On Denmarks first goal, he literally watched the ball the entire way to Bendtners foot. He marked not one player...

elmaestro2 repped this.
  25. elmaestro2

elmaestro2 Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Chicago(west burbs)
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I mentioned how he looks out there man. I actually gave him some props but you're too blind and delusional to see that.