Who is the best french player of all-time?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by soccerfan220, Oct 3, 2002.

1. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    I got his idea from a soccer digest artcle of the best players over the past 25 years. They thought Platini was better than Zidane, which I don't agree with, so i thought I'd make a poll of. I think Zidane.

2. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Platini was better allround IMO. Zidane is excellent too of course, but I think he falls short in certain areas compared to the Great Michel.

Platini was a more efficient player and probably the most accurate passer of a ball in the world in his prime. He was an expert free-kick and penalty-taker as well, and was much more of a leader on the field than Zidane is. Platini also scored much more goals in his career both at club and national team level.

Zizou has better close control on the ball, is physically stronger and is a better dribbler, but I don't think he measures up quite to Platini.

3. InMotion

InMotion New Member

Sep 27, 2002
    New York, NY
    Michel Platini is a great French player, and one of the greatest of all time. Zidane is the greatest of French players, but perhaps most of all because he had the opportunity to be the best, to which he contributed but also could benefit from an amazing contingent of players: Henry, Lizarazu, Djorkaeff, etc. Platini talent-wise could potentially hang with Pele or Maradona, but his supporting team was not on that level.

4. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Platini.

Everyone else is playing for 2nd. Though he did have a decent supporting cast in '82 and '86.

5. SportBoy321

SportBoy321 New Member

Jul 6, 2002
    New England
    Platini is half Italian so he don't count. Zidane is Algerian so he don't count so I'm gonna go with Jean Pierre-Papin a real Frenchman who had his glory years playing for a French club unlike those other traitors above who left France for the money. Jean Pierre I salute you !

6. Papa Bouba Diop

Papa Bouba Diop New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    McGill ghetto
    reviens JPP reviens.

7. SportBoy321

SportBoy321 New Member

Jul 6, 2002
    New England
    Eric Cantona should have been included on that list.

8. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    PFFHHF!

Yeah ... and David Ginola too. Oh - and Frank Leboeuf.

The list should read

- Platini
    - Fontaine
    - Tigana
    - Zidane
    - Giresse
    - Six

And the winner should be Platini. By a country mile.

9. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Platini, hands down.....

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    What the hell are you all doing, forgetting about Kopa, the guy that lead his country to a semi-final and was part of the legendary Puskas Di Stefano Madrid side of the 50s and 60s

He is nr one by a country mile

11. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    1 - Raymond Kopa

2 - Robert Jonquet

3 - Michel Platini

12. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I rate Six & Dominique Rocheteau as partnership of sorts-although I liked Rocheteau better.

And I think looking at his body of work in the 90's, you can't ignore Marcel Desailly. Desailly won at both Monaco & Milan, and he had tremendous WC 98/Euro 2000. You can argue that Tigana or Giresse were better all around players, but I don't think they were as influential to France as Desailly was-and his performance in the CL final against Barcelona w/ Milan, ranks as one of the greatest single games by a French player.

13. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    I still think Zidane. He has had much more sucess. They both won a CL, scoring the winning goal, Platini was a WC Semifinalist three times, but Zidane was a winner. They were both great in European Championship wins. ANd Zidane is still playing. Real ought to win sommething this year, to add to Zidane's accolades. Zidane has been world player of the year twice.

SportBoy: If you are a true french fan, that was either a joke or you are very stupid. Zidane and Platini have contributed so much to your team. WIthout them, you wouldn't have any EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS, or WORLD CUPS! Think about it, and you'll realise how stupid that comment was.

14. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I voted for Platini, who IMO is slightly ahead of ZZ. And you forgot Kopa!

15. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant Marseille not Monaco w/ Desailly.

I don't think the difference between Zidane and Platini is that great. I voted for Zidane. He's not the scorer that Platini was, but a) he is technically just fantastic, b) I think he is tougher mentally than Platini was-his France would not have folded in Sevilla '82 IMO. There is an intangible quality about Zidane that I think gives him the edge over Platini-the goal in last year's CL final a perfect example.

Which is not to say that Platini was not a "winner;" his trophy case is nothing to sniff at. But I like my chances in a big match with Zidane, and fair or not, the 98/2000 double carries a lot of weight.

16. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Zidane marched France to a World Cup and European Cup double for the first time ever. He was the driving force behind those wins.

He plays for possibly the best club team in the World Right now.

Anyone who looks at Zidane's incredible ball control, skill and Passing ability in detail should be in no doubt he is far superior.

Platini falls short of him in Skill and Archivement in my book. List Platinis goals, football skills and medals next to Zidane, and there is no contest.

Mark my words, in 10-20 years when the rose tinted glasses are applied to Zidane's career like they are to Platinis and Tigana's right now, he will be seen as THE Greatest French player of all time.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Platini's France didn't fold in '82- even after possibly the most thuggish foul in football history. Both teams scored twice in the OT, and France lost the PK shootout.

But they folded like a deck chair in '86. My vote goes to Zidane.

18. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    Great point ThePremierLeague

19. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't agree. Foul or no foul, they had a 3-1 lead in extra time. They should have killed the game.

20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    France '82 couldn't kill a game with nerve gas. They didn't know how to hold a lead without risky attacking, and it finally caught up with them. That's not folding- it's tactical immaturity.

Actually, I'm not sure the French are any better about that even now. If you look at the elimination rounds of W/C '98, they won by GG over Paraguay, PKs over Italy, and came from behind against Croatia. The only time they were forced to show maturity with a commanding lead was against Brasil in the final (which they did more than convincingly). I didn't see Euro 2000, but I know they didn't have to sit on the ball for most of the matches.

21. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    They held on against Spain in EURO 2000. In 1998 they were the masters of defending no argument I'm sorry.

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Friend, masterful defending is when you score early, hold the lead against the opposition's attempts to equalize, and win in regulation. It's one thing to play 0-0 ball for 60 minutes and score late to win, another entirely to go up quickly and face pressure for 50-70 minutes. They played ONE magnificent match, perhaps the most dominant match of any European team in a World Cup final, but the rest of their elimination matches could have gone either way. France didn't kill any games but the final.

They were the masters of winning. The gist of my (factual) previous post was that they did not have to hold a lead against quality opposition for any significant length of time in the '98 elimination rounds until the final.

23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    You are still all forgetting about Kopa, 6 European titles, need we say more?

24. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    All by himself. Impressive.

25. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I hear this argument all the time. Who cares what club he plays for?!

http://www.ifhof.com/hof/finney.asp