Who Is The 3rd Best Brazilian Footballer in History,after Pelé and Garrincha?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by R9magia, Nov 6, 2005.

1. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    Just as a side note, Roque Junior is probably the only player ever to win Copa Libertadores, Champions League and the World Cup :eek:

2. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    cause they played in all kinda weird ass cups and competitions. obviously the league is what matters the most. why would whoever that posted that thing point out that it included all kinds of brazilian domestic competitions if they were so damned competetive anyway? but thats besides the point. he scored about 100 or so goals in those competitions. no biggy.

3. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    this is the kinda crap i just cant stand. just because hes pele does that mean hes better trained then todays pros? fvcking dumb if you ask me.

4. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    yes it does.

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I voted for Didi. Old timers who saw him say he was amazing. And when we were doing the all-time draft, Ombak (my Brazilian teammate) pimped Didi like no other. And Didi was the unquestionable leader of the 58 WC team, which featured Garrincha and a young Pele and broke the WC spell for Brazil.

Some people knock Didi because he couldn't establish himself at Real Madrid, but I think it was an impossible situation. Didi basically played the same role as Di Stefano, and Di Stefano was not about to relinquish his leadership role on the team. You couldn't have two chiefs, or two drivers at the wheel. So Didi had to go. It was not about his talent.

6. Godinho10

Godinho10 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 19, 2005
    Ronaldinho has proved himself for years now and is the current best footballer by FAR.. like it or not.Is Gremio, cruzeiro's arch rival? Because thats the only explanation.Some of the players you mention never did the plays Ronaldinho did so far and hes only 25.Ronaldo is the best and most explossive forward ive ever seen(inside the box Romario)but the best 10 and more complete player is Ronaldinho.

7. R9magia

R9magia New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    You act as if I have something against Ronaldinho LOL. He's going to play for my country later today why would I have anything against him? No Gremio is not Cruzeiro's rival.

Listen,I chose to go with players that established themselves for a longer period of time,there are players on the list like Leônidas da Silva who led WC's in scoring and had he not missed two world cups because of the world war's he would have still today been the leader for most goals in WC's.Then players like Didi,Zico,Djalma Santos the greatest right-back of all-time. The point is I chose to go with established players,Ronaldinho will have his day there is no doubt of that. I don't any knowledgeable Brasilian football fan would have voted Ronaldinho at this point 25 years old the 3rd greatest Brasilian footballer in history anyway so I chose to show respect to the players that were consistently great throughout there whole careers.

8. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    some fan boys would've voted *cough* godinho *cough*

9. Godinho10

Aug 19, 2005
    Dont choke on your bfs cum

10. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    Of course not, but Pelé was light years above his peers technically, mentally and physically. If he had undergone today's training, he would have taken current defenders out to dance the same way he did it 40 years ago

Again you show your complete ignorance about Brazilian football
    Brasil didn't really have an established national league until 1971
    For example, one of the "weird ass cups" you might be referring to, Torneio Rio-São Paulo, had the best sides from Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo playing in, these have traditionally been the strongest states in Brasil when it comes to football
    So you see, these "weird ass cups" might just have been more competitive than you have thought - what matters is the strenght of the sides playing, not the cup name

11. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    i suggest you lay off of ronaldinho's sack, fanboy.

12. Godinho10

Aug 19, 2005
    Tolosa wanderers? lol :confused: wtf? Manito you are a funnyboy

13. CariocaEWR

CariocaEWR New Member

Nov 9, 2005
    EWR
    ZICO, ZICO, ZICO

Didi, Zizinho and Leonidas da Silva all very close and all better than Ronaldo.
    So I would say top 4 are:

Pele
    Garrincha
    Zico
    Didi

then who knows, so many great players.

14. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada
    where the hlls ronalidnho

15. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes thats why it is such a tough call on who the 3rd best is.

16. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    well, better than choking on ronaldinho's reproductive organs all day. no wonder you have red nipples.

17. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    bullshiit.
    did they have a league or not?

18. Godinho10

Aug 19, 2005
    Why dummy? Because i said Ronaldinho deserves to be on that list? Mines are red guess what colors are los de tu madre?

19. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    There was no national league until 1971
    State leagues were played every year since early in the last century
    In 1933 it was created the Torneio Rio-São Paulo, in which played sides from the two strongest state leagues, Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo; It became annual in 1950
    In 1959 it was created the Taça Brasil, in which the state champions played each others, in 2 legs, knockout rounds cup format; the champion was considered for all effects the Brazilian champion, and was allowed to represent Brasil in the Copa Libertadores
    In 1967 the Torneio Roberto Gomes Pedrosa, also known as Taça de Prata (Silver Cup), replaced the Torneio Rio-São Paulo; in it took part sides from São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais, Paraná and Rio Grande do Sul States
    Finally, in 1971 it was created the Campeonato Brasileiro (Brazilian Championship), which was the first competition in a league format that gathered sides from all over Brasil
    http://www.gazetaesportiva.net/historia/futebol/campeonato_brasileiro/historia.php

I'm sure you can argue better than that.

20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Pele could sprint 100 meters at 10.5 seconds (world record then was 10 seconds) and had a vertical leap that is outstanding even now.

21. BARCA_VIX

BARCA_VIX New Member

Sep 28, 2005
    L.A California.
    True.

22. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    For me it's got to be Zico at 3rd and definitely not Ronaldo, Ronaldo is good yes but we're talking about the 3rd best Brazilian footballer EVER, and Ronaldo would probably be about 9th or 10th on my list.

Where's Careca, Jairzinho or Dunga? They were all pretty damn good too!

I can see where people are coming from with the argument of Legends vs. present day, i for one have thought that, for instance when watching a video on Pele and you see some of the goals he scores and the way he takes players on with simple sidesteps and just lightning speed, and some of his finishes weren't that amazing for being hailed the best player ever. Then you see Cristiano Ronaldo who isn't even comparable to the best player in the world atm and he's doing all these fancy stepovers, but it's simply the game was different. The games quicker now and back in the days of these Brazilian Legends they beat all they had to, there was no need for fancy stepovers but im sure if there was a need for it, they could safely manage them a great deal better than Cristiano Ronaldo, trust me.

Also it gets you thinking who are going to be the people we remember when we're older and tell our kids about like our dads have told us about great players such as Pele, George Best, Franz Beckenbauer, Diego 'cheat' Maradona Wolfgang Overath, Johan Cruyff, Marco Van Basten etc. (placed in no order of skill or preference, just names rolled off! :) ) But as i rant on....yes Zico for third.

23. Bonizzoni

Bonizzoni Member

May 4, 2004
    São Paulo - Brasil
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkmenistan
    Leonidas,by...FAR.

Last year a old Palmeiras player (about 70 years ou more)went to a known program here called "Mesa Redonda".Then someone asked:

- You played and you saw both Pelé and Leonidas playing.Of course you have better conditions to say who is really better...Leonidas,Pelé,Garrincha...

- Ah,easy.Without doubt Leonidas.I never saw someone like him...believe me.Pelé is fantastic,but IMO Leonidas is better.

---

If someone who played against both guys say it...at least better than Garrincha he was...

24. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    as of now, which is when the thread takes place, ronaldinho deserves no mention in this poll. he has a lot of catching up to do to deserve consideration in this poll.