Who Is The 3rd Best Brazilian Footballer in History,after Pelé and Garrincha?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by R9magia, Nov 6, 2005.

1. R9magia

R9magia New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    I created a thread asking who was the 2nd best and I should have know the results.Garrincha easily won it.

So who is the 3rd Best and why do you choose him before the others on the list?

Inevitably some names were left out but I think the 3rd best Brasilian footballer of all-time should be someone on that list,so cast your votes and your reasons why :) .

2. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Nice list. ;)

3. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Not necessarily my vote yet, but you could have had players like Friedenreich, Ademir, Dunga, Jairzinho and Taffarel in the list; I'm sure they would be choices for some.

4. R9magia

R9magia New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Will all due respect to those players I don't think any of them are or can be considered the 3rd greatest brasilian player in history.Also there is a limit of only 16 players so there was room for nobody else.

5. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Although I'm still undecided, I have narrowed my choices to 3 (Romario, Leonidas, and Zico). I might be a little biased on choosing Romario or Zico, because I've watched so much of them, but I have to consider Leonidas, because of what I've read about him and because of the sick rate at which he scored goals, even by the standards of his era. Romario has the advantage of having won the world cup. Zico probably had the most prolific career overall. Tough decision, and much better thread than the one it owns its origin to. :)

6. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Ademir certainly has a better claim than Carlos Alberto, Rivaldo or Gerson.

Anyway, my vote goes to Didi (who I would actually have on a par with Garrincha).

7. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    my vote went to ronaldo nice thread

8. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Same here.

9. ELADO

ELADO New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    washington dc usa
    Romario!! No Question

10. R9magia

R9magia New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    May be true but I can only pick 16 names and as you can see people have voted for Rivaldo,somebody asked for Gérson in a previous thread,and Carlos Alberto has done enough to be on the list. It all comes down to the fact that I could only select 16 names,no matter who I chose somebody would have asked why a certain player wasn't on the list so it is what it is.

11. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    My vote went to Djalma Santos. A brilliant player. Ademir is definitely missing from the list, I think Carlos Alberto has to be rated below him.

12. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    [​IMG]

roberto

13. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This man...

[​IMG]

14. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Arthur Friedenreich probably could. Anyway, it's your list.

15. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    O.K. After much tought, my vote went to Leônidas, mainly because he was so ahead of his time, and also because I really believe that if he had played in the semifinal match against Italy in 1938, Brazil would have started winning world cups 20 years earlier (but we'll never now that [sigh]).

[​IMG]
    Leônidas

Leônidas Da Silva was one of the greatest players of all time. He was nicknamed Diamante Negro (Black diamond) while playing for Club Atletico Peñarol of Uruguay. A player of incredible skills, he had amazing dribbling and avoided tackles brilliantly. He also perfected the chilena (bicycle kick). The Brazilian forward displayed one of the most spectacular individual performances ever seen in a world cup; he had a monstruous tournament in the III World Cup in France in the summer of 1938, scoring 8 goals at 1.71 goals per 90 min (3rd best in World cup history), carrying his team through semifinals. However, in one of the most criticized decisions ever, coach Ademar Pimenta did not start him for the semifinal against Italy, thinking he could "use some rest prior to the final". That cost Brazil the match and as it's known Italy went on to win the tournament. It's likely that he missed another 2 world cups due to WWII. If he had been able to play them, we probably would be talking about Ronaldo de Lima trying to surpass Gerd Müller on his way to try to reach Leônidas.

After a short span with Peñarol, Leônidas went back to Brazil and won the Campeonato Carioca in 1934 with Vasco da Gama and in 1935 with Botafogo. He and Brazil had a dissapointing WC in 1934, where they were eliminated in first round (eighfinals v Spain; he scored their only goal), but then he finished 3rd in the world cup in 1938. He won the Carioca in 1939 with Flamengo. Playing then for São Paulo, he won the Campeonato Paulista in 1943, 1945, 1946, 1948, and 1949. He played 37 total games with the national team (a high number back then), in which he scored 37 times. 21 of those goals came in 19 official international matches with the seleção.

other information about Leônidas can be found here:

http://www.leonidasdasilva.com.br/
    A web page dedicated exclusively to the great striker.

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/especial/2002/copa/todos_os_brasileiros-1938.shtml
    Very nice site about all Brazilian players in the world cup. Includes stats, pictures, and a brief bio for every player.

http://www.v-brazil.com/culture/sports/world-cup/1938-France.html
    Features an article with other curious data about Leônidas.

Not that it needs it, but my choice should be backed up with the above. :D

16. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    There is an error on the above post, and it was too late to edit it. Leônidas' mark of 1.71 G/90' in 1938 actually ranks 4th in WC history. Apologies for the mistake.

17. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Zico, the "White Pele." Tostao was known as that also but Zico was better. A sublime talent when he was at his best. Leonidas comes in at a very close fourth. Scored eight goals at France 38 and from the highlights I've seen, they were brilliant finishes.

18. Air Fly

Air Fly New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Ronaldo is second to Pele, sorry! Garincha is only thought of highly by Brasilians not the World.

Ronaldo has accomplished much more than him, but it all comes down to personal opinions.

19. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Garrincha single-handedly won WC 1962.

20. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    proof?

21. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    And who else better than Brazilians to judge a player who played his whole career in Brazil? :confused:
    Sorry but that's a rather dumb statement

22. Air Fly

Air Fly New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    You said it yourself, he played his whole career in Brazil, but Ronaldo did play in Brasil and currently Europe...Brasil is not Europe...see Robinho.

oh and for the person who said needs "proof"? I don't have the time to list all of Ronaldo accomplishements right now...but if you're Brasilain you should know.

People overrate past players so much and downgrade current players such as Ronaldo and Zidane. This needs to stop, football is much harder now than before.

23. R9magia

R9magia New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    So whats your point?It can be argued the Brasilian league was the strongest in the world in those days,worst case it was one of the strongest.

If not for Garrincha Brasil would not have had the amount of success it did in those years.We would not have won the 1962 World Cup and probably not have won the 1958 WC either.This in itself shows much more importance then any individual award which I'm sure is what your referring to when you say "Ronaldo has accomplished much more than him".

This is just a ridicolous comment,so Pelé,Garrincha,Di Stefano,Beckenbauer,Puskas,Didi,Bobby Charlton,Yashin,Gerd Muller,Fontaine etc....according to you are overrated?

24. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    Uh come on, I'm sure you can make points smarter than that...

Your argument is straightforward stupid, Robinho has just moved to Europe...and with Real Madrid struggling with so many players injured, did you care to notice that Robinho is the one who is actually doing something?

The rest of your post I'm not even gonna bother replying to, for that read R9magia's above post

25. Air Fly

Air Fly New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Maybe Brasilian league was the strongest but that itself shows the competition was weak back then. futbol have changed to better and is much tougher these days, why can't people accept that fact.

Individual accomplishements does make a difference and so does the "team"...but you forget that Ronaldo took Brasil to two straight WC finales, won 2 and might win the third this upcoming WC in Germany. If he accomplished that, i don't think you can speak of Garrincha in the same breath as Ronaldo, agreed? right now, you could still compare them but to me Ronaldo is the superior player.

I didn't say they are OVERRATED, I said people or some football fans like to overrate them. They think those past players have done stuff that none of the current players can accomplish...please, Ronaldo by the age of 19 was already the World Best Player, how many past players have accomplished that? and if it wasn't for his injury that kept him 3 years without playing football, many people would've been saying bi bi to Pele or Maradona as the greatest ever right now.