Who is FIFA Player of the year?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Green Tabasco, May 3, 2003.

1. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    Who do you think will be FIFA's Player of the year for 2003?

My Choice would be RAUL Gonzalez Blanco, I think he deserves it.

2. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    Rudd Van Nistlerooy(sp) 2 words: Forty Goals

3. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    We're only in May, so its a bit difficult to tell. Alot may well depend on the winner of the CL.

4. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Exactly...Don't be surprised if Ronaldo gets it if he scores goals from now and his team win the final.. That's how these things work :/ which can be unfair for players who've had strong seasons but faded towards the end :(

I'd hope Raul wins it he's been absolutely phenomenal this season .. so much improvement.

5. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just going on the current season we have seen so far it has to be Pavel Nedved. He has been consistent the whole year both defensively and offensively plus his team won Serie A and are also in the CL semifinals.

6. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ruud Van Nistelrooy
    Hands-Down

7. tuye-darvaze

tuye-darvaze New Member

May 3, 2003
    Ronaldo maybe - especially if scores a few more goals and is instrumental in the CL win, assuming (and hoping) Real wins it. There are quite a few players who deserve it though and some have been already named here earlier.

8. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Definitely the Dutchman Ruud Van Nistlerooy. Awesome performances.

9. Luther_Gabriel

Luther_Gabriel New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    I have to agree, it will be Ruud if he plays well at the start of next season. 43 goals this past season, and 14 in Man U's last 9 games, fueling them in their run to the Title.

10. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Exactly. While there are some strong early candidates, I wouldn't be surprised to see Raul - or possibly Zinedine Zidane yet again - up there if Real Madrid win the Champions' League.

11. tuye-darvaze

tuye-darvaze New Member

May 3, 2003
    Hey thanks everyone posting. I grew up playing soccer but have been away from it the last few years. Now I live in an area where soccer, and sports in general are not that big because of lack of professional teams representation. I don't have time for TV which is boring anyway, but this chat site is fueling my passion for the game. Just wanted to say I am glad I found it and appreciate everyone's participation.
    Cheers
    D

12. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    I guess RAUL is out of the running...Due to his operation. RVN should get it for sure......but remember one thing......RVN is a pure Striker.....RAUL is more of a Forward Midfielder now....His game is becoming more complete. I mean if it werent for RAUL and his assists....RONALDO probably wouldnt have as many goals in LA LIGA and by the way he is still in second place in the CL goal table.....

13. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It would be between the 4 R's -- RVN, Raul, Ronaldo & Roberto Carlos.

RVN: he gets my vote, but my vote does not count in the FIFA poll. His performance in Europe would be overshadowed by the Real Madrid players. Against Real Madid, people will remember Ronaldo's hattrick and Figo's amazing goal.

Raul: I thought he did better last year than this year.

Roberto Carlos: Most people thought that he should win last year. FIFA voters are strange.... they did reward figo with the award in 2001 when his best performance was the year before. It was as if the voters realized their mistakes and vote for him again.

Ronaldo: The winners usually win the award by playing big at important matches. Look at Ronaldo last year.... this year, he already has one big one. it also helps that he is the leading scorer for Real Madrid.

14. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I'd like to see Pavel Nedved win it. He's the main reason Juve have done so well this year, and I think he's made a fine replacement for Zidane. I think if Juventus wins the CL, Nedved may have a shot. I wouldn't mind seeing Raul or RVN win it either, just as long as Ronaldo doesn't.

15. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Yeah, i know exactly what you're saying. Soccer coverage is basically non-existant here, so i resort mostly to this board. Its great though, isn't it?

16. tuye-darvaze

tuye-darvaze New Member

May 3, 2003
    Yes this board is great. RVN is a great choice as are the rest of them, but what do you have against Ronaldo?

Cheers