Who is a more complete player: Messi or C. Ronaldo?

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Izzy9, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Apr 21, 2011
    U.S.
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Using the criteria below, who is better? Messi or C. Ronaldo?

1. The ability to strike fear in the opposition by attracting more defenders
    2. The ability to create scoring chances for oneself
    3. The ability to create scoring chances for others
    4. The ability to finish
    5. The ability to play under pressure (Big games and tough opponents)
    6. The ability to beat defenders (pace or dribbling)
    7. The ability to control the ball with first touch.
    8. The ability to dominate the ball in the air
    9. The ability to get defenders sent off
    10. The ability to score from long distance
    11. The ability to operate in tight spaces
    12. The ability to control and protect the ball

Gregoire1 repped this.
  2. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago

1. Equal
    2. Ronaldo
    3. Messi
    4. Ronaldo
    5. Equal
    6. Pace Ronaldo, Dribbling Messi
    7. Ronaldo
    8. Ronaldo
    9. Ronaldo
    10. Ronaldo
    11. Messi
    12. Messi

Honestly, very nice thread to lay out a criteria like that instead of the usual nonsense.

3. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    This is a bit weird or at least not so clear in definition. If a player is very skillful and tricky, automatically he will attract defenders to do (whatever needed) to bring him down = hence send off or yellow carded

Another definition is that if a player has "way around" (provoking) to arouse oppoenents to commit errors? This is not required ...

4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I think you are biased on the 4 5 and 6:

4- Finishing?? CR7 has worse finishing touch than Messi. CR7 30+goals over >220 shots, Messi 30+goals over <150Shots

5- In big games: so far Messi scored more than CR7 (who was a shame in this only few goals scored over 30+ games versus big teams like Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Barca, Lyon, Milan .. CR7 is improving on this but right now he is still below Messi in stats.

6- Well we have to divide to:
    - dribble in close pace: Messi
    - dribble with more pace: equal

Need to add speed and acceleration separately as well

5. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    Shots do not tell the story. Ronaldo can score with either foot from almost anywhere somewhat near goal thus he shoots more often. Messi has less shots because he has a comfort zone and he'll never be set up 6-15 yards out as frequently as Ronaldo can have atleast a half chance from as much as 30 yards out. Ronaldo is the better finisher because he can finish with either foot and his head.

Ronaldo has scored against every single team you mentioned:confused:
    What constitutes a big game is subjective anyway. Is a hat trick against a weaker side but one that was on a day you had to get 3 points a big game? Or is it just against high pay roll clubs? Because contrary to popular belief many of Messi's goals come against very weak teams.

Ronaldo is a helluva lot faster than Messi. He can outrun anybody, Messi can't beat Pepe in a race. Messi is the best close quarter/weaving dribbler. I said they're equal because they're both better at one of the options given.

6. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    Here is a stat that you are never going to see: Turnovers.

Ronaldo: 346

Messi: 383

For being such a 'superior' dribbler and passer I can't see how Messi is basically 40 above Ronaldo. We would be led to believe that he would be at maybe 100 if that. lol. I said in the other thread that nobody coughs it up more than Messi. His ball control is greatly overrated. One dribble past 2 defenders does not erase how many times he turns it over a game.

Another lol is the fact that the baca nuthuggers are complaining about Mourinho having 2 guys on Messi everytime he got the ball... Afterall, this is supposed to be his game is it not? Driblling by everybody on the field. Double standard.

Messi has been found out, look what happens when frustration sets in. In both games he should have been carded for childish antics. First match he kicks the ball at the fans, which has been red carded before, the second game he stands directly in front of a free kick and kicks it out of bounds... But Ronaldo is the whiny baby...Lmao, another double standard.

The chickens are finally coming home to roost.

7. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Your points 4-7 are pretty ridiculous to defend. How exactly does Ronaldo have better finishing when before the el classico he only scored 28 after 208 shots taken while Messi has scored 29 with only 132 shots? http://www.goal.com/en/news/3545/he...ristiano-ronaldo-head-to-head-leo-cr7-back-to Explain that one.

And how does Ronaldo have a better first touch than Messi? Are you sure you know what a decent first touch is? And as for who performs in big games- even the bias Ronaldo fanboys have conceded Messi has better performances against the better opponents. Just because Ronaldo scored in copa del rey against barca does not mean you can throw away all logic. Look up the stats of Messi vs Madrid, and Ronadlo vs Barca.

8. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    First on finishing:
    It does NOT matter if CR7 can score with both feet and header ... as it's IRRELEVANT to the term "finishing" - which means how a player can end up with a goal based on number of chances/shots. Based on that, Messi is currently better as he scored more or less same number of goals with much less chances/shots - REGARDLESS how he scored - onefoot or no header.

For example, Gerrard could score with both feet, but many would take a Rivaldo (onefooted) over him at anytime, as at end of day, Rivaldo scored more!

You should add "long shot ability" and "heading ability"
    then I agree CR7 is better. These are "added value" for a player but not neccessary decide that player is "good" in finishing!

Another categories different from dribble is SPEED and ACCELERATION so do NOT confuse them with each other. For example, Henry was faster (more speed) than Baggio, Romario, but the latter two were BETTER than Henryin dribbling surely!

CR7 has more speed (long run) but both has same acceleration (short distance).

9. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    1. Equal
    2. Messi (small advantage)
    3. Messi
    4. Messi
    5. Messi (CR7 is improving and getting closer)
    6. Equal (Messi in tight spaces, CR7 in open field)
    7. Messi
    8. CR7
    9. Messi ( I don't remember anyone being sent off for a foul against CR7)
    10. CR7
    11. Messi
    12. Messi

10. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    First bold:

When Messi kicked the ball towards the fans, the ball hadn't left the field yet. In the CdR final on Wednesday, Messi was booked for blocking the free-kick.

Regarding the chickens:

Are you familiar with the phrase "Don't count your chickens before they hatch"? The two up coming CL games will be equally difficult for both teams.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'd say he is definitely biased in 4 and 7.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    First of all, where are all those stats taken from ? Second, just like you made your point about Ronaldo shooting from outside and getting less goals/shot ration, you can probably make it with Messi and turnovers by figuring out how often he touches the ball, dribbles, etc ...

Then the shots ... I've shown in another thread that Messi this year (or since Ronaldo has joined Madrid ... don't quite remember) has scored more goals from outside the box than Ronaldo. If he takes those shots and keeps not scoring, then sorry, he is not better at it. It just makes Messi the better decision maker the fact that he picks and chooses the shots he takes.

About having 2 players on Messi ... of course it makes things difficult. He is pretty good at dribbling multiple players, but of course it will decrease his effectiveness. But just look at what he did in the play where he passed the ball to Pedro who scored the goal that was slightly off-sides. He took on 3-4 Madrid players on his own over 30 yards.

About the whining ... sorry, but Ronaldo takes the cake. There is no bigger whiner in the game.

13. SixthSense

SixthSense Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  14. MrSoccerplayer

Apr 11, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Im not getting into this discussion but one thing really annoys me is how overrated CR is as a dribbler, he just pushes the ball forward and outpaces the defender most of the times, he isn't a great dribbler at all , at least not anymore, in his days at Man Utd he still was able to beat defenders with ease.

15. Eradicate

Eradicate New Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Florida
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You know how you know someone is better than the other.. Messi was man-marked whole game by multiple defenders while Ronaldo is left to free-roam and still only manage 1 goal that came to the top of his head in the CdR.. sad.

16. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    This is only my opinion but I think Ronaldo's more of a complete player. He can score from all ranges and is also lethal in set pieces. Having said that, I think Messi's a lot faster and more hardworking than Ronaldo, who seems to be lazy and almost uninterested at times. Anyway, they're both great. :p

17. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think your opinion is way off. And I will tell you why.

CR7 scores from many ranges but he takes almost twice as many efforts as Messi does. CR7 hasn't been that lethal from free-kicks lately, at least not as much as when he used to be at Man United. Messi's free-kicks have been getting better and better and lately they look more dangerous than CR7's.

Messi is NOT faster than CR7, he is quicker - there is a difference between "quicker" and "faster". You are only correct about the hardworking part.

Messi is more complete player than CR7 in terms of role and actions on the field - he can score and create, he can attack and defend/track back.

18. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago

You're a lying fck, Ronaldo had Adriano and Pique on his every move, with Alves running over at 20 miles an hour and sliding to stop him. Typical cule nonsense because Ronaldo scored and Messi was invisible. Now its time to look for excuses because Ronaldo proved he performs in big games and can score against your precious club.

19. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago

Wow, people are un f'n believable, Messi walks around 3/4ths of the game without a care in the world. Watch him, he only runs when the ball reaches a certain point and he thinks that he'll recieve an easy pass to run onto. Ronaldo does it too but please understand Messi is just as bad for this.

Look at the CDR Final, Ronaldo was running dead sprints in the 118th minute last week. Was Messi?

Really, stop listening to Phil Schoen and Ray Hudson.

20. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    LOL, I don't even know who those guys are. Look, it's not like I sit and watch every game Ronaldo or Messi play. That was only an opinion and I don't expect myself to be right about everything. So just relax, okay? ;)

21. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    I suppose there are always going to be two sides to every coin. This is a judgmental thread, in any case. Some would argue Ronaldo is more complete in the sense that he can score from a variety of different ways, while others would argue that Messi is more complete in his pivotal roles on the field. I haven't seen Messi taking free-kicks lately, so I'm not in the position to judge on his improvement in that aspect of the game. Thanks for your insight on the issue, though. :)

22. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    lol, So when you see a player score off of a first time volley from 25 yards out and you say "that was a hell of a finish" you're actually refering to the fact that he did it in one try as opposed to the skill that it took to hit the shot?

Riiiiiiiiiight......

I call B.S. You're saying a cheetah is faster than a leopard but they both start off the same...lmao! So if the leopard gets most of his kills within the first 40 yards, while the cheetah gets kills in 40, 60, 80 and 100, the leopard is actually the greater predator because he is more consistent with his distance... We all know the cheetah is more complete because it has less constraints put upon it and can attack within different circumstances.

The ball was a yard before being out of play, there was no immediate danger to him and he elected to rifle the ball 80 miles an hour at the stands, he could've simply tapped it out.

Watch the replay of it, Messi put his hand up to cover a smile for doing it and when Pepe came over to punk him he put up his "who me?" "what did i do?" hands with an innocent face..

What was the excuse for impeding a free kick? I'll tell you, frustration. things weren't going his way which he isn't used to and he felt obliged to
    act childish, no different than what you claim of Ronaldo.

You should be very familiar with the phrase, you were one that counted the "Ronaldo can't do chit against Barca" chickens. Also, the only reason I haven't seen anything about Ronaldo scoring a penalty in the league match is because Messi also took one that he didn't earn which he supposedly "never does."

Marca.

Lo f'n L, Ronaldo had one hit off of the side post and one Valdez dove on to save against Barca, Messi's went in row X. What is this misnomer that Messi isi anywhere in Ronaldo's league with free kicks?

To your other statement. How can I drill this in?, Messi isn't as versatile as Ronaldo so how is he ever going to shoot as mch, Ronaldo takes 1/4 chances while Messi sits in pockets and pounces on through balls. The numbers will never equal out. When I point out Messi has many more turnovers its because "he has the ball much more." :eek::rolleyes: Double Standard.

I loved Messi's defense when he passed it straight to Ronaldo and CR7 flipped it up and dribbled straight past him while Messi stood there then Ronaldo goes 40 yards before Adriano kicked him down... great defense there...

23. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    You're cool. :D

You just hit some cule keynote speech talking points. :p

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The one thing I would concede is that Ronaldo can be more versatile in terms of positioning on the field. He seems to be able to play equally good on the right or left as needed. I think Messi is much more effective coming from the right side because he is mainly left footed and likes to cut inside.

About the CDR final, if you look at Ronaldo's highlights, yes he sprinted a lot and made Barca defenders work, but he also lost a lot of balls and messed up at least 2 very good chances due to bad touch. If he doesn't score that header, I tell you he would have been really criticized for his performance.

I don't know why people include lost balls and bad passes in these compilations, but you can check it for yourself.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEqYr9-JsJQ"]YouTube - Cristiano Ronaldo vs FC Barcelona - (Copa Del Rey Final) 20-04-11 HD by Yan Gama[/ame]

25. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    Celito, Yonko, James, Phil and on and on and on......

One reason I give no Messi fans any credibilty (not that you care) but;

I've heard about Messi's non important self serving header against United 1000 times. That showed not only his prowess in big games but also how wonderful he is in the air even for being short. It also proved he had Ronaldo's number head to head and was way out of his league. Now in all reality that goal was only icing and didn't win the match, Eto'o did that for him.

When the tables are turned and Ronaldo scores an even more difficult header against the best clubside in the world that actually wins the trophy....

1. Its the F'n Copa del rey, Who the F*** cares..

2. Mourinho is Anti - Football.

3. Ronaldo should've hit his first shot in the 3rd minute anyway, he sucks because it took him that long.

4. Barca was saving themselves for the CL

5. Puyol was hurt

And on and on and on.