Who has the better chance of making the World Cup team?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by tkgunn, Aug 18, 2005.

1. tkgunn

tkgunn Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NJ
    Quaranta or Dempsey?

2. todd_knode

todd_knode New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    San Diego via DC
    They are both 2 way players and that is what Bruce likes. And they are more multi deminsional than some of the more veteran players they will replace.

3. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
  4. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im not even going to try to make a case for tino being a world class players just yet- but youve got to think we will take a right sided midfielder, and tino is better than ralston right now.

ralston is a crosser- period. thats it. no pace, no other facet to his game that holds up against world class competetion. i think tinos got a very good chance.

i think dempseys in pretty good position, but there are a handful of guys who can do what he does. (regardless of if you think he does it "better")

right now id say they both go.

5. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    DEMPSEY!!!

6. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    well, right now quaranta is showing more than dempsey is....

clint is more a bull in a china closet, while quaranta is showing a bit more skill...

dempsey's presence physically would be a huge asset, but he meeds to become more effective at the usmnt level

7. EEUU

EEUU Member

Mar 4, 2000
    Massapequa, NY USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey is a really promising player but at the same time looks really green in certain situations still. Quaranta is a youngster, but his game is steadily on the incline right now. If things continue the way they're going it will be interesting to see what happens. I hope they both make it, but I think Quaranta may be the more needed player right now if he can keep up his level of play.

8. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    His crosses were great in the GC, but what happened out there? is he just that inconsistent? We don't need inconsistent players at the WC, I'll take Q over Ralston

9. carpediem175

carpediem175 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Pompton Plains , NJ
    Dempsey. Although he is relativley inexperienced, he always seems to find a way to be involved in attack and more times than not he gets himself into position to cause headaches to the opposing defense. I think he is one of those players that have the ability to make things happen, weather he is in for 15 min or the full 90.

10. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I voted both.
    Both are versatile, both are young, strong, good on the ball, and fast.

If I had to vote for one - Dempsey, he's more versatile than Quaranta.

How is Quaranta winning?

11. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    Both...Bruce likes them both, alot.

Quaranta is obviously much newer on the scene, but he has barely put a foot wrong on the pitch while with the MNT. He actually seems more comfortable with the international pace than Dempsey, but then again Quaranta hasn't played against England (when Dempsey looked lost).

But still, both will be there barring injuries or catastrophic decline in form.

12. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Dempsey is a central midfielder. Our central mids for Germany will probably
    be Reyna, JOB, Donovan, and a destroyer--Clark or Mastro. No room for
    Dempsey.

Our wide mid candidates are Ralston, Mapp, Beez, Convey, Quaranta, Lewis.

Ralston is demonstrably not of international quality imo and barring injuries
    won't make the active team.

Beez is set.

If Convey continues his recent form, he is set.

Likewise with Quaranta, especially as a right-mid.

Mapp has to continue to improve his fitness to turn the corner.

Lewis at left back?

13. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    If there's an option for both, shouldn't there be one for neither?

:)

14. dominate

dominate New Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Austin, TX
    I think Quaranta's experience in the youth national teams has helped him transition to the adult international game better than Dempsey.

15. beergod

beergod New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    GA
    Quaranta offers us a possible solution to a problem position, so I would say him. Not to mention Dempsey's position problem.

I see Quaranta as more likely to get on the roster at this point but I would bet that both of them are on a plane headed for Germany next summer.

16. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I voted for Q simply because he can play a position where we lack both quality and depth. Dempsey is caught in a crowded central midfield, and will need to show more to make the final roster.

17. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    I voted for both cause you are right on the money about Q, but I feel Dempsey is versitile, so even though he wouldn't start, he could be an option for afew positions from Mid to Forward

18. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    That's also a good point, and is one that I've made in earlier posts about Dempsey.

19. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Quaranta could be No. 1 soon at a problem position. Dempsey is probably the No. 6 central midfielder at the moment and doesn't really have a certain role. On a global scale I would rank him ahead of Armas, but I can tell you what Armas' role is with the team at the WC -- basically the role that Carlos
    Llamosa had in the last WC. Dempsey is talented and has a year to go, but he has his work cut out for him.
    Amazing to think that nine months ago, the US coachhing staff were saying that Dempsey would be an immediate impact player and Gooch would be a two-or-three-year project. Funny how that worked out.

20. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Demsey's at his most effective playing in the Rev's five man midfield next
    to Shalrie Joseph. I'd curious to see how well he played in a similar setup
    next to Reyna with Donovan at the a-mid position. With JOB a possible
    no go for Mexico, this might not be a bad way to go.

21. robchap628

robchap628 New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Atlanta
    As of now it's Tino, he seems to be in favor after having a good gold cup where as Dempsey really hasn't been effective for the nats. Dempsey won't have to many more chances to prove himself, and I think Tino's going to be getting the nod over him in qualifiers, Dempsey has a career with the national team and I think we'll see a lot more of him around sept. '06. I expect Tino to make the squad for Germany, maybe get a few minutes and if so I think he'll impress, he's at the age now where his career should start to take off, his talent has been known since his Bradenton days, its just a matter of time before he gets the pro-game down which he seems to be doing now.