Who has been the best new signings so far in the Prem 2007/2008?

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by revelationx, Nov 29, 2007.

1. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    We are now about a third of the way into the 2007/2008 Premiership season.

Who do you think have been the impressive new signings so far this season and why?

My nomination is Fernando Torres. He has already been prolific and looks like he has been playing in England for years. Despite being out for a month or so he has already scored 10 goals for Liverpool.

Also Sagna of Arsenal has come in and looked assured, composed and again made the transition to English football seamless. He has forced Eboue into the RW position and looks very consistent.

I think Bale of Spurs has been brilliant also. Despite being so young he is already one of Spurs best players and has made the step the divisions without breaking stride. He has already scored a few and will be a big star for many years.

2. TheNeutral

TheNeutral New Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Can't forget Elano, one of the best players this season and the driving force behind Man City's resurrgence on the pitch.

3. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Torres has been impressive but I can't help thinking hat he'd have had more of an impact if Rafa had not dropped him all the time.

Tevez has proved to be good for us and Bale has been impressive for Tottenham.

I like Veronyn atr Liverpool, as limited as he can be. He works hard and knows where the net is when given a chance...

4. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    I would say that Anderson has been probably the most impressive, though obviously he hasn't had the same impact as a Elano or Torres or Tevez.

In any case, here is my top 10 based on the most impact(league and Europe, where possible):-

1. Elano Blumer
    2. Fernando Torres
    3. Carlitos Tevez
    4. Sylvain Distin
    5. Martin Petrov
    6. John Utaka
    7. Roque Santa Cruz
    T8. Javier Garrido
    T8. Bacary Sagna
    T9. Kenwyne Jones
    T9. Olivier Kapo
    T10. Anderson
    T10. Gareth Bale

5. Suqoor_El Jediane

Suqoor_El Jediane New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Sulley Muntari has been working very well in the Pompey midfield...Roque Santa Cruz has also been quite impressive for Rovers.

6. Suqoor_El Jediane

Suqoor_El Jediane New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Cant forget about John Utaka either. Hes been a workhorse for Pompey.

7. Nip/Tuck

Nip/Tuck New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Haven't seen Villa play this season?

(rhetorical - as you the answer is obvious)

8. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Is any of Agbonlahor, Young, Barry or Laursen a new signing??

9. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^ I don't think so.

10. Nip/Tuck

Nip/Tuck New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    You've based the list on impact and included such names as Gareth Bale, Santa Cruz and to a lesser extent John Utaka.

Nigel Reo-Coker has been excellent this season.

Fantastic workrate. Quality defensive player.
    His passing isn't world class but it doesn't have to be.

As long as he isn't too extravagant/keeps things simple he's a very effective player.

Not a glaring oversight but on the course of impact there's no way he'd be anywhere behind Bale who seems to have a case of Ledley King-itis.

11. Kukilon

Kukilon Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Elano and Torres has both been excellent to their respective teams.

12. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Torres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:d

13. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    From whatever I have seen of NRC this season, he seems to be recapturing his form of 2005-06; his dismal form last season was more of an aberration. His performances haven't exactly stood out for me personally.

While there is a decent case for saying NRC has had more of an impact than Bale so far, a T10 position is still just rewards for the ease with which he has made the step-up from the Championship to the Prem.

Santa Cruz, while he hasn't exactly been tearing up the goal-scoring charts, has got a fair number of goals and has been involved in so many of Blackburn's goals(just checked his stats; 6 goals and 5 assists in 15 starts).

14. everythingfootball

everythingfootball New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    The Best Signings Not In Order

1. Torres
    2. Bale
    3. Santa Cruz
    4. Petrov
    5. Tevez
    6. Anderson
    7. Jones
    8. Sagna

15. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    I am not arguing with your choice of players but should just point out you cannot actually have a top 10 list containing 13 players. It's actually a top 13 list ;)

16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    torres, sagna, roque santa cruz, elano, corluka, utaka

17. Michael S

Michael S New Member

Dec 5, 2007
    value for money - santa cruz by a mile

18. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benny Fielhaber

:D

19. Red Range

Red Range New Member

Jul 31, 2006
    i think they are as the following :

Torres
    Petrov
    Cruz
    Utaka
    Elano
    Sagna

20. kaka'22

kaka'22 New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    New York
    I can't tell if your just talking about additions to the EPL this year, or if team to team counts.

Because Yakubu is worth mentioning. 8 goals in the league

21. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    I am talking about new signings and not just players new to the EPL. So Yakubu is def worth considering. Strangely I think he has been under-rated this season until last weekend. He has been somewhat low on the radar but his record in the Prem speaks for itself. Now he seems more settled and confident at Everton he should cause some damage this season.

22. LG David

LG David Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Everton FC
    You are quite right.

10 goals in 15 games for him now. Truly wonderful piece of business for Moyes. He will have his doubters for being lazy as us Everton fans like players who will constantly fight for the team but he's been exceptional. Looks like he's lost weight from when at Boro', working hard, scoring goals and linking up with other players. Whilst on the subject of Everton and new signings, Steven Pienaar has been very good as well. Never stops running, great distribution, good and hard in the tackle (despite being small) and can pick out a killer pass. He takes the pressure off Arteta as well because he supplies goals.

Other players have to be Torres, Muntari, Elano, Tevez, K.Jones etc

23. James23

James23 New Member

Sep 20, 2007
  24. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    The problem with Yakubu is still that he tends to score goals in spurts and is anonymous in between. If he sustains his current form through the season, only then can he claim his position amongst the best strikers in the league(something which his goals to games ratio indicates).

25. on the up

on the up New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    kapo = birmingham