Who had the greatest empire

Discussion in 'History' started by zippy85, Jul 22, 2007.

1. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Roman empire

Holy Roman Empire

French Colonial Empire

French Empire of Napoleon

Macedonian Empire of Alexander the Great

Mongol Empire

British Empire

Persian Empire

United states empire

I am not the most intellectual person so you would be right if you thought this was not my idea

I dont know if the US is an empire but it is powerfull so it gets in the list

My vote goes to the romans, i loved learning about them at school ,and they where around for ages

Second goes to america, some one told me a stat that america had the military power to destroy the world 6 times over :eek:

Third goes to the British Empire , it spread english all over the world

Just realised this aint a current event or politics so you can delete if you wish i dont mind

2. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No Egyptian?

Spanish? Portuguese?

Chinese?

Mayan? Aztec?

Persian? mmm never mind wouldn't want the Iranians to ruin the thread. :p

etc.

I could go on.

What would the Byzantine empire go under? They have to get some credit for surviving for so long.

3. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sorry i did not think of them ones, egyptians should be there and the spanish and portuguese as they discovered the new world, this thread aint for me its for research for my partners coursework so i cannot really answer any questions, i dont know much, sorry x x

4. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    What's the criteria? For sheer longevity, its hard to beat the Roman/Byzantine Empire, for example, but at its height, the Mongol Empire was obviously bigger.

5. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The Iberians didn't discover anything.

Anyway

Just putting those names out there

Tell your friend that it is his/her opinion no need for help. Its not like there is a wrong or right answer.

The big empire of the day thinks they are the sh*t and rightly so since they control everything. But then they become too arrogant and think that there way is always the best way. The other smaller nations/tribes/empires resent the main power. They keep advancing their technology and trying out new methods and sooner or later the big empire loses ground to the rest of the world and a new power emerges. And the cycle begins again.

6. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    hello nicephoras, could write the criteria then hunnie, i only know about romans, british and america, i am sure it wont take you long, x x

7. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I dont think america will ever crumble and i dont mind because they are not a dictatorship and promote democracy :)

can you give me your opinion plz, if you had to pick one

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This should really go into the History sub forum.

Rome is the leading empire of choice for me. The GB.

9. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Promote democracy?

Backing military dictators in latin america during the cold war, having good relations with the Saudi and Pakistani governments. I could go on and on.

Don't be silly they are just like the rest.

Sure the US has helped out millions heck billions of people. But democracy takes a backseat sometimes even if it does affect other people.

Protect your own ass first. Thats a general rule in empires or nation states.

And lay down the criteria for discussing the greatest empire. Because the discussion will become to disorganized.

10. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Criteria erm, time,military power, medicine, language, science, discoveries, size

I think america trumps all cos they put a man on the moon

11. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The United States - as a superpower - certainly warrants consideration as an "empire" but that collective is normally reserved for lands ruled by single authority; our democracy of fifty united states governed by the people is not normally envisioned as an empire. Interestingly, empires that approach the size of those you have listed are typically destroyed from within and that is our problem here; we have allowed immorally and secularism to exist rather than to nip them at the bud. Said immorality and secularism will destroy is from within. When it falls, our "empire" will be remembered as the greatest civilization ever known, that unfortunately made the mistake of allowing leftist radicals pervert that shiny city on the hill of our empire.

12. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    On the flipside, they couldn't have done it without mathematic and scientific principles first put forth by the arabs, greeks, persians, etc.

13. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An empire is an empire whether the imperial center rules directly or by proxy. Even the Athenian Empire included nominally "independent" city states. And the Romans had their "client kings". That's not even counting the best chains of all - the chains inside peoples' heads that make them not even want to be free. In addition to the ideological means employed by America's rulers, "our" rule is also maintained both by proxy elites around the world and by an economic system that presupposes us as the necessary center.

One reason America's rulers have been able to last is that there has been no good way for an external foe to get at us militarily without also unleashing forces that would destroy themselves as well. So America has been able to provide a stable place of last resort both militarily and economically. This is why terrorism is so dangerous to the empire. The oceans may protect us from invading armies but they won't protect us from a suitcase nuke or a few dirtbags with a biochem weapon, especially if said dirtbags don't care if they themselves die in the attack. If the terrorists can cause a big enough disruption, our highly interdependent (and therefore highly stressed and fragile) global imperial economic system might collapse.

Empires typically end when their rulers finally get too greedy and overreach beyond the technological or ideological means of control while at the same time conservativism runs amok in the center, causing a hardening of the empire's political arteries and rendering the emperor and his advisors unable to effectively adapt to changing circumstances even if they wished to do so. And there's always a successor waiting in the wings for those things to happen. Like, say, Beijing is waiting today. Maybe Bush's inept and disastrous attempt to go crusading in the Middle East will mark the spot where the American Empire jumps the shark.

14. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada
    What about the Russian Empire?? At one point, it stretched from Finland to Northern California.

15. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be a case of "conservativism runs amok in the center, causing a hardening of the empire's political arteries and rendering the emperor and his advisors unable to effectively adapt to changing circumstances even if they wished to do so". WW1 merely exacerbated and accelerated the collapse. Much the same happened to the Koreans and Chinese.

16. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    wtf?

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course ,one could argue that Russia may yet rebuild their empire.There is also that sense in which the Soviet bloc served as the continuation of Russian imperialism in a "workers' state " guise..

It bears pointing out that empires may break up but their aftereffects are felt for centuries afterwards.Perhaps this resonance may be considered to factor into the "best empire" voting.

18. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I suspect it is far more likely that, despite its oil, it will continue to sink back into its historical role as part of what we now call "the third world".

Of course that's what happened after the Stalinist counter-revolution but I doubt that Russia will ever again get its hands on all of eastern and part of central Europe. I also doubt they'll ever regain the predominantly Muslim parts of the former USSR.

It's also usual that the "man in the street" notices no immediate functional difference in his life due to the "fall" of the empire in which he lives. Your typical "Roman" in 476CE certainly had little idea that "the empire has fallen" and if he did he'd have shrugged his shoulders in indifference. Your typical Briton was probably better informed in the 1950s but it probably still made little difference to their everyday lives. About the only exceptions to this are places that suffered Stalinist "revolutions".

19. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    For your paper write "Empires do not make one great." That's it. No more. College professors love that kind of thing.

20. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AM,

Oh yeah?

Later,

Napoleon Bonaparte

21. Swab the poopdeck

Swab the poopdeck New Member

Jun 5, 2006
    in gurland
    One third of the world's population (and more islands than you could care ever to shake a stick at) can't be wrong. Beat that. :cool:

22. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If an empire that rules a large segment of the world is not great than what is

I think they are great, i look up to ancient civilisations for what they have done for the human race

The romans were great because they were the first to build roads, the british the first to rule the sea

Things like governments were introduced by romans which we use today, we still use the justice system which the british invented

Empires are looked at as great, we study them at school, visit cites like eygpt and treasure artifacts found from the romans

You are living in a young empire, i think your biggest threat will be china

23. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
  24. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Your posts are kind of like snakes to me. Snakes scare the crap out of me, but at the same time I'm fascinated by them. Some of what you spew is really scary (and moronic) and yet I am compelled to read because I can't believe that anyone actually thinks that way.

What's it feel like to be a theocratic fascist?

25. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll see you and raise you...

[​IMG]