Who gets your MVP for the Season?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Carlosamigos, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Carlosamigos

Carlosamigos Member

May 21, 2016
    Belfast
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    With two games left before the post season stuff, who do you think has been the stand out Galaxy player this season?

Rather than set it as a poll, i'll just leave it open to replies and comments as to why/reviews.

It is quite a difficult one as the season has been a bit hit and miss across the year (for me anyway).

Rowe for example, I've been quite impressed, to the point why I was wondering why he wasn't the first team GK before this (again I don't know much about past No. 1's), but then every so often you have a Real Salt Lake switch off from him. I do think he has been one of the sides more consistent and better players, even if he doesn't always do things in an orthodox fashion!

Unfortunately I don't see any of the attacking players being included in here due to consistency, or should I say, lack of consistency!

My overall MVP for the season though has to be Van Damme. I was a bit unsure of him, and thought he was a little rash, but actually, he does things consistently, and good things at that. He is a good defender. But he brings a lot to the team in possession as well, and he is missed when he is not there. Him in possession is also aided by players around him. VD and Cole work really well on the left, with Cole knowing when to drop into his space and just let Van Damme do whatever it is he does! Steres, another consideration, is happy to stay back and just offer an option and get on with his own game, but Van Damme can be a real driving force, who tries to do the right thing. Add to that that he has been a constant attacking threat from corners, has me believing his all round game has been very good this season.

73Bruin and TrickHog repped this.
  2. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Galaxy MVP this year = world's smallest giant. If pushed, couldn't argue with Van Damme. But mostly because the bar is pretty low.

3. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^This.

4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gio has good numbers, but he's been so inconsistent all season...

StillKickin repped this.
  5. Carlosamigos

Carlosamigos Member

May 21, 2016
    Belfast
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Whats this say about the league?

6. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not much really.

It's a league built to facilitate parity. LA has had some very good performances and some absolute shockers. We've also ground out a few results and got draws where we could easily have lost, which is why I think JVD and Rowe are modest standouts in a year where few have truly excelled consistently.

This has kept us in the playoff spots but with two games to go, other teams close behind and 3rd being the best we can do, we still have plenty to play for in the final games.

As someone new to MLS, I'm sure you're familiar with the grumblings from detractors that "the regular season is meaningless" and "final position doesn't matter". If you look at what happened to us last season, you'll see why that's utter, utter bollocks.

If we drop any more points, we could see ourselves slip down the standings, face an away trip to a single elimination tie and fall at the first hurdle. Especially if we go into such a tie with Steven f***ing Gerrard starting in midfield.

napper, hav77, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  7. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm with Cadaver on this one. Although I think it should be world's largest little person.

TrickHog and The Cadaver repped this.
  8. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    How to determine the MVP is always a question. To me, it doesn't necessarily mean the best player, especially if that player's absence or presence isn't reflected in the team's win/loss percentage. My personal (but unresearched) sense is that Zardes while not the Galaxy's best or most talented player is the one that makes the biggest difference in the teams chances of victory and hence the MVP.

StillKickin, King Koopa, Berks and 6 others repped this.
  9. Carlosamigos

Carlosamigos Member

May 21, 2016
    Belfast
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Good point in talking about their presence being important in the decision. And Zardes has had some good spells in the season. Definitely the best mention of the attacking side of thinks, and one I overlooked myself.

10. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to agree with this. I'm actually a little surprised at how crucial a component Zardes became in the squad this year. His ability to play as a target, but also to provide width, pace and work rate filled a huge hole in our attack, where we we have several talented players that all sorta play the same way: Lletget, Dos Santos, Keane, Magee, Post-Crisis Gerrard. I think

King Koopa, hav77, Berks and 1 other person repped this.
  11. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Actually, I think that one of the things Zardes does best is play defense. He is one of the few Galaxy attackers willing to get back and play, at least, good positional defense on a consistent basis. He has also become, especially this year, one of the players to initiate the counter-attack.

I would love to see a line-up with Robbie , Gyasi and Keane up front and Ema and Seb on the wings (letting the play decide who drops into the center attacking mid). I am torn over who to play at defensive mid, but after watching him play a great game against Kaka, I am inclined to go with Garcia. I know many/most of you have your own different takes and I am fine with you being wrong :D

12. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Van Damme.

If Gyasi had finished out the season, he would have rivaled him.

Skevin, napper, StillKickin and 5 others repped this.
  13. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, it's Van Damme, hands down.

14. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Van Damme is also my MVP but yes, the bar is low. He had a few bad games this year.

Gio has to be second but after him I don't see someone above all the others. Rowe, Steres, Cole and even Magee have been pleasant surprises. Rogers has had a good year too. Zardes could have been a top 3 but it's hard to judge him after his injury.

15. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We seem to all be on the same page. JVD was the best of an inconsistent bunch. Gyasi was our most consistent player and was having a strong season but with such an abbreviated season makes it hard to judge him MVP.

Rowe did well too, for the most part.

16. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
  17. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Chamipon...then JVD

TrickHog repped this.
  18. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to accept this award on Cadaver's behalf...

StillKickin, The Cadaver and ragbone repped this.
  19. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm only willing to let you do it because the bar is so low......

20. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Van Damme, absolutely.

TrickHog repped this.
  21. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If you use whoscored as the guide it would be Gerrard,Dos Santos Van damme and Rogers.

But if you give weight to the appearances it goes to Dos Santos then Van Damme.

22. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gyasi!

He scored the game winner for our only victory against San Jose this season.

pastor and TrickHog repped this.
  23. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Carlosamigos

Carlosamigos Member

May 21, 2016
    Belfast
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Cheers Dr. Phil...Got my vote in, Dos Santos leading the votes apparently...

25. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoever has voted for Gerrard and Cole should be banned from StubHub Center for life and prevented from uttering the word "Galaxy" in any context