Who else is getting turned OFF by the overt politicizing from this USWNT??

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by WorldCupfanUSA, Jul 13, 2019.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If politics were to be taken out of professional sports:

No more Presidents, VPs, Members of Congress, etc., tossing out the first pitch at baseball games

No more championship team visits to the White House (or Congress)

No more National Anthem before games

No more professional athletes endorsing political candidates

Etc.
    Personally, I'd like to get rid of the first two on the list. To paraphrase the title of this thread, I'm tired of "the overt politicizing" of professional sports by Presidents, VPs, and Members of Congress.

blissett repped this.
  2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I'd get rid of the first two, DRAMATICALLY scale back on #3.

The last I don't care. I dearly wish everyone else would cease caring.

3. Caulfield

Caulfield Member

May 31, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first three are ceremonial, not political, and are done no matter the candidate or party occupying the White House. Most mature, well mannered, and adjusted adults can manage to watch a president throw out a first pitch(got a kick out of Obama throwing out a first pitch in dad jeans), can attend a ceremony at the White House without acting like a spoiled brat crybaby, and I’m not sure why the hell an athlete can’t stand an honor the flag of a country that provides the very freedom that gives them the right act like a child. Now if a athlete wants to endorse a political candidate, that’s his or her prerogative.

Dfwsoccer01 repped this.
  4. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    I loved this...

[​IMG]

jnielsen and Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I think the argument is to get rid of the goofy (and frankly somewhat creepy) ceremonies. They're rote. Will anyone truly miss them?

6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  7. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Athletes are public figures and celebrities -- similar to actors and singers in their impact -- so the desire of politicians to be seen with them is inevitable. Thus, a politician seeks to enhance his electability by being seen with an athlete, and an athlete makes a political statement by refusing to be seen with said politician.

The National Anthem is appropriate for games in which the players are representing the country. However, I don't think it is necessary, and somewhat irritating, to have it sung before every sporting event. Thanks be to the Supreme Court that we no longer have to hear a prayer before sporting events.

I don't like the idea of my tax money being used for flyovers by military planes at athletic events, nor do I like the idea of color guards of military personnel. Let the soldiers train for war, and let''s save a few bucks by cutting all the ceremonial nonsense.

8. Caulfield

Caulfield Member

May 31, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. We need all the taxpayer bucks we can get to fund the abortion of thousands of babies through Planned Parenthood-not to mention the trillions also needed to cover healthcare for millions of illegal aliens.

9. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    People read what they WANT to see. Sorry you only see the posts where I apparently am “pro Trump” and can’t distinguish between anything else.

10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I don't follow this response at all.

Auriaprottu, Timon19 and blissett repped this.
  11. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    This is the world's biggest non sequitur. What the ******** does this have to do with anything we've been discussing?

jnielsen and blissett repped this.
  12. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice straw woman.

Auriaprottu and blissett repped this.
  13. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I will give your opinion the consideration it merits.

blissett repped this.
  14. Caulfield

Caulfield Member

May 31, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL

15. Caulfield

Caulfield Member

May 31, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, typical.

16. Caulfield

Caulfield Member

May 31, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just responding to Smallchief above. He/she doesn’t like his/her taxpayer dollars used for flyovers and color guards, which I absolutely love! So I offered some areas that could be more funded by the cost savings.

17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Right.

Too much pathos, not nearly enough logos. In fact, almost none at all.

18. Caulfield

Caulfield Member

May 31, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t be ashamed to be pro Trump. He’s only given us the greatest economy of our lifetimes...or since I was a teenager in the 80s. Good thing he will be around for a second term.

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Zero logos at all.

20. Caulfield

Caulfield Member

May 31, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please don’t use persuasion tool language. The majority on here can’t follow what you are trying to say. And you’re not that clever anyway.

21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Least of all, you?

22. Caulfield

Caulfield Member

May 31, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn! You got me.

23. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess there's a book publisher that's not turned off, which means they anticipate there's a lot of other people that are also not turned off::

blissett repped this.
  24. Caulfield

Caulfield Member

May 31, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for her. Publishers are always who I count on the make sound, smart money book advances that continually pay off. Just as Simon and Schuster did with the Hillary books. Not one Hillary book made back the publishing advance, and neither will Rapinoe’s.

But like I said, good for her. She lives in a country where there are publishers willing to shell out money for a book that promises to be a “honest, thoughtful, unapologetic" take on everything from social justice to gay rights, and "even a little soccer." Lines are already out the door for a deep dive into that.

25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Sounds like wager material. Lloyd, you and Caulfield up for a bet? I honestly don't know if it will or not, so I'll be the escrow.