Who do you want as the next NT manager?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Deand21594, Jun 24, 2014.

?

Who do you want?

1. Spalletti

27.4%
  2. Allegri

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Mancini

8.1%
  4. Zaccheroni

1.6%
  5. Montella

3.2%
  6. Conte

19.4%
  7. Other

40.3%
  1. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I really like DDR but i agree with you, his time is up :( He's not very consistent in the NT, played great in 06, did ok in 08, didn't do much in 2010, did good in 2012 and was worthless this summer. It's the same story with Roma.

2. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pirlo needs to go, if this NT is going to move forward we have to cut our ties with Pirlo. I know it's sad because he's a legend (played great yesterday) but it's time to leave the likes of Buffon, Pirlo, DDR home.

3. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    When you take the blinders off, you can see DDR was one of the worst players at the WC. Bloated, out of shape, poor tempo, etc. Big disappointment. He was a far cry from the iron-lunged Gattuso who covered for Pirlo constantly throughout the years.

I love Pirlo, but his time is up. Germany has players in their prime retiring at 30...and we want to push someone to 37 in a major tournament? Ludicrous. It's time to move on.

jerrito and johnny6 repped this.
  4. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    De Rossi played two games - one in which we won with him on the pitch. I'm not saying he had a great showing or looked good, but basing his worth on two games? I think its a reach to say he's done.

And I'm not concerned with Germany and their ideas - sure, they are the champions and have a great program in place, but that doesnt mean we need to model ourselves after them.

If Pirlo goes, then I support that decision. If he stays,I welcome that too.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    jerrito repped this.
  6. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Took his staff from Juve, nice.

7. sempreITALIA

sempreITALIA Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm not totally against a withdraw of Pirlo from the starting 11. Players like Jorginho and Verratti are more than capable of holding down that deep lying midfield role. Obviously, Pirlo is still the only player in the world that can put a 50 yard ball on a dime, but that's not to say these two guys can't be effective going forward. And some food for thought: Pirlo has been Italy's most influential player in a style of play that has REVOLVED around his passing capabilities for the better part of a decade; but who is to say that a new style under Conte with some new, young players in the engine room of midfield aren't going to be successful? The two I've mentioned are quality, quality players, maybe Pirlo can take a step back and be someone to come off the bench during qualifiers to unlock a defense in the last 20-30 minutes. It's time to turn a new leaf, maybe not completely just yet, but in 4 years Pirlo will be 39 and playing in the MLS. Will all of you still be "gung-ho" for a player that's plying his trade in a retirement league? Time to think about the future.

My opinion aside, Conte will make the right decisions. He's a winner.

jerrito repped this.
  8. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I don't see anything wrong with using Pirlo at the moment in the early qualifiers and gradually phasing him out. If he's effective, why cut him now? Let some of the other learn from him. Figure out the optimal non-Pirlo lineup(s) and keep him around as insurance in difficult situations. Subbing him in/out would merely cause a lineup alteration.

If he doesn't insist on playing every minute and understands that he may not be fully featured in two years as Conte tinkers with and discovers an effective non-Pirlo dominant lineup, then no need to rush him off just yet.

jerrito repped this.
  9. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    can't believe i forgot about trap.

totti fan repped this.
  10. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    You guys realize it is possible to have Pirlo in your starting XI and not have him be the focal point, right? Milan did it for many years--and the only year where I would say Juve really needed Pirlo to win was the first year of his move. It's a no brainer. Pirlo is still one of the best players we have. Therefore, he should be in the starting XI--and you can certainly do that without compromising the future of the NT.

If Conte fielded his preferred 3-5-2, it would be nice to see

-------------------------BUFFON---------------------------

------BARZAGLI------BONUCCI----------CHIELLO----

DARMIAN-DE ROSSI-PIRLO-MARCHISIO/VERRATTI--DE SCIGLIO

--------BALOTELLI-----------------ROSSI---------------

11. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's probably the lineup he will go with. I also think depending on their form he will select Ogbonna and Ranocchia. Maybe even Destro instead of Balotelli.

12. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There's no way Conte uses a back 3 - especially one with the Juve 3.

Call that hyperbole if you will...but I just think he's opening himself up to too much criticism. He's got so much talent at his disposal now - I think we'll see an unfamiliar Conte when it comes down to selections.

13. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Well, considering that it was the system he utilized most often at Juve, I don't know how you can say he will certainly not use that system. The WC highlighted just how crappy we are at the back right now-so like it or not, the Juve back three may provide the most guarantees at the moment.

I think the World Cup showed just the opposite of what you're saying, i.e., the talent that we have leaves much to be desired. Who, other than Pirlo or Darmian, impressed at all?

14. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If that's the system and lineup he goes with we're screwed.

Stamos repped this.
  15. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1090 Garibaldi, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    guys, get real and is Pirlo the ONLY player that can play or perform in Italia for his position on the Nazionale???

..lets start talking about up and coming new young players that can take or fit that role - come on guys start thinking ahead- be progressive and NOT like old farts - geez! ( no wonder we're not winning any titles any more, we've got guys that are still stuck in the 1960's )

16. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I didn't realize it's the Azzurri and Conte's job to develop prospects..

And this is coming from somebody who created THE TOP PROSPECTS LIST.

Name me one player, other than Verratti and Jorginho who both bring some different qualities to Pirlo and should play more expansive roles, who should replace Pirlo right now.

gumbacicc repped this.
  17. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    What great talent that we have is not in that starting XI?