Who do you think will surprise at the WWC?

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by jd6885, Jun 22, 2007.

1. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone knows the favorites to win it all: USA, Germany, Sweden, China

But this time, the world cup seems espescially strong! Who do you believe will upset the giants at this year's world cup?

2. FCMB

FCMB Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Voted for Denmark since I expect some good results from them.

3. sinclairFan

sinclairFan New Member

Oct 27, 2005
    Ont, Canada
    I don't understand why people think England will surprise they won't even make it out of their group.

4. Jenson

Jenson Member

Mar 2, 2005
    I'll be a bit surprised if they DON'T make it out of their group.
    They won't go any further but can beat Japan and Argentina...obviously having the 'balls' or luck to do it is another thing but they have a chance. Argentina, admittedly are largely an unknown to me (as are the full Brazil side, Marta, Elaine etc. included) but I've watched the other sides in the tournament quite a bit and given the group they are in, England have the potential to spring a surprise.
    Then again, I'm typically British and gloriously pessimistic (it's the hope we can't stand!), so we shall see.

5. amerinorsk59

amerinorsk59 Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Chicago area
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Once again I love it when no one considers Norway as a threat - 1995 WWC and 2000 Olympics - No one gave Norway a chance and see what happened!
    Keep the pressure off them - it's great!

6. Jenson

Jenson Member

Mar 2, 2005
    I'm not writing off Norway. :p

7. amerinorsk59

amerinorsk59 Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Chicago area
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Thanks - my comment was directed more towards jd6885!:eek:

8. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    No one are, the reason is that they are one of the giants (see the questions) and thus not mentioned.

9. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    A scout reported that England is very strong and doing well. Based on his observations which I respect, I will say that England will qualify out of their group just fine.

10. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    England is not alone in the 'improving' category. Japan is also very strong and doing well and Argentina has some recent big wins. England might get out of the group but that outcome is a long way from a foregone conclusion.

11. sinclairFan

sinclairFan New Member

Oct 27, 2005
    Ont, Canada
    I think people are jumping on the England bandwagon, but they will be in for a rude surprise when Japan play them off the field. Maybe they won't but thats my opinion right now, if they prove me wrong so be it. But looking at the two teams and their individual players my vote goes to Japan.

12. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Have you seen England play this year? They've got a lot of different players who can score, appear to have shored up their defense, and have added some speed that I thought they lacked in the past. They've posted some eye-opening results this year, starting at Four Nations. They have a nice mix of youth and experience, and captain Faye White is returning to form after a long injury absence. Jenson, will she even win back a spot in the starting lineup? Japan is as speedy and skillfull as ever, but I wonder how they'll do in a physical matchup with England? Remember they didn't qualify outright in Asia, they had to win the qualifying spot in a playoff against Mexico. The only advantage they have over England right now is the FA, which appears to have no warmup matches scheduled for the women's team before the WWC. The 'fixture' list shows nothing scheduled between May 17 when they beat Iceland, and Sept 11 when they play Japan. What a mockery of a national associaton. It's shameful.

Another team that intrigues me is Australia. I don't know much about their individual players, but any team that moves out of a pattycake confederation like Oceania, moves into a much tougher Asian group, and still wins a spot in the WWC has to merit some attention. Will Cinderella dance out of group C? As much as I respect and root for Canada, does their defense strike fear into anyone's heart like it did last time around with Hooper and Nonen in back? Sinclair's good for a goal a game, but will their back line be able to keep more from going in than Sinclair and company can generate? I'll write off much of their game against the US since they were coming back from overseas, but giving up 6 goals? Ouch! They need tougher competition than New Zealand to tune up for this one. Who else do they play before they head to China? Believe me, I'm rooting for them to succeed, but they won't sneak up on anyone this time.

13. Jenson

Jenson Member

Mar 2, 2005
    There are so many things can that change as teams tune up for the big games in September - a lot does rest on the coaches and their staff, plus the chemistry and commitment from the players and a bit of luck with injuries.

It does seem strange that England don't have more friendlies, while other countries have Pan Am games and the like.

At the moment, to answer your Faye White question, Moog, I reckon she will make it back in. The question mark is over who will play alongside her? Anita Asante has stepped into her role (more traditionally a midfielder) for club and country and won countless Player of the Match awards in crucial/high profile games. She is currently the almost certain choice for the centre of defence, however, she has not had a chance to build a partnership with White. Are they too alike in the way they read the game and decisions they make? Centre backs, centre mid parings and strike partnerships (or trios) are often more about the relationship between players/styles/understanding than necessarily the qualities of stand alone individuals. I think Asante and White have more chance of stopping world class strikers than Phillip and White, though Westwood also did well at Four Nations...and Chapman is a great centre back when asked (having grown up in that position).
    So, I've rambled on way too much about one small question...but the question was raised about Ljungberg elsewhere (she is apparently out for four weeks). Should she go to China? The way that her and Svensson can play together means yes.
    Having seen only the US goals against Canada and not the rest of the match, the fragility at set pieces is something that can be rectified with work and basic ability (being constantly pulled apart and teams getting behind you over and over is the real worry). I wouldn't write off their defence just yet.

A lot will happen over the next two months!

14. sinclairFan

sinclairFan New Member

Oct 27, 2005
    Ont, Canada
    Im not trying to discredit the England side, All im saying is Im sure that Japan will come out of the group before England...Im not sure that England has that much physical superiority over Japan(sure they have a lot, but not enough to beat them).

As for Canada...Im sure their defence will pull together..as for their schedule before the world cup..All im aware of is Pan Am games...hopefully that will be enough

How many other teams are going through such a hard time getting games in before the WWC?

15. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Good posts.

Australia, Japan and England are all potential giant-killers and I won’t presume to say for sure which one (or two or three) will prove it in the 2007 WWC.

Early in 2003 I knew Canada was a much better team than most people realized, but by the time the WWC kicked off, Canada’s 4 rock-solid back line starters were all injured – proving anything can happen and often does. Then, despite that crippling blow Canada managed to go through China to the semi’s almost through Sweden to the final – who would have predicted that?

Canada’s 2007 back line is not as good and definitely not as fast as the one that didn’t play in the 2003 WWC but it might be as good as the makeshift line that Pellerud threw together. The rest of the squad is better and deeper, but it’s still no slam-dunk they’ll go as far as 2003.

16. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I can't decide between Denmark and Canada...

Ok, I've just voted for Denmark. ;)