Who Do We Keep/Who Should Go 2009/2010 Edition

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by Blackburn, Sep 8, 2009.

1. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    The best move yet! Way to go Inchy, change the entire crew!! The fact is we sucked and most of those guys ran around like Sunday rec players who could care less. The passing was poor, the offense was anemic, and the defense was slow and disorganized. This is a great sign for next season.

2. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so heartless as you. Granted, by the end of the season, I knew a lot of guys were going to go. But I'd still come to like them, despite their inadequacies. So I feel bad, and hope that we'll still see some of them around. I mean, one important lesson the Aztex hopefully learned was that they need a bigger roster.

3. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    Trust your instincts Inchy! Build this new team using your experience and judgement. Put some people on the squad that have your work ethic, hustle, discipline, and mind for the game. We need to possess the ball and not just rush forward through the midfield as if we are in the last minute of the game and down a goal.

4. Scooter Pete

Scooter Pete Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you VioletCrown... while it's hard to blame Phil and Adrian for wanting to change things up many of these guys were the heart of the team for our inaugural season and I feel a certain loyalty to them. Especially the ones like Gifton who made a genuine effort to get to know some of the fans.

But hey at the end of the day it's a business and nobody knows that better than the players themselves. It's about winning games and putting butts in seats. Some of these guys were not skilled and/or fit enough for competition at the USL-1 level and over the course of the season it became obvious that they weren't.

I wish the ones that aren't with us anymore all the best -- they will always be part of Aztex history -- and look forward to next season.

5. Waterloo 11

Waterloo 11 Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's good to see this turnover happen now. The team needs to go after the players they see available in this country before they join the 'superdraft' or are picked up by expansion sides (1 in MLS and 2 in USL). Not to mention the chance that MLS might expand it rosters or increase it's salary cap. This roster churning is a growing pain of an organization that's only been around for two years. With all of the overseas scouting going on, we'll probably see quite a few international players as well.

Good luck to all of the players who were let go. We may see them here again in the uniform of the opposition or we may see their names in the future involved with soccer on the management/owner side of things.

6. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I understand the desire to up the talent level, and accept that this is Phil and Adrian's decision. Still, I thought that we were far more competitive than the record indicated. We couldn't close games out, however, and that killed us. And if we are to build a fan base, we need to win more.

As the release said, all of these guys played hard for us, and in many cases picked up and moved to come here. So I could do without Froghammer's glee about these people being let go, but it's a free country. And of course cleaning house so extensively will only be a plus if the talent that is brought in is superior to what's going out (and if it is put together in an effective way). With the rules limiting the number of foreign players, I hope Adrian and Phil can find some Senegalese, Mexicans and Haitians on their trips who have American passports.

7. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soo with all thats been said :D.

Do you lot think the few remaining bhoys of the class of 2009 that, for now, are still with us deserve a second season with the RAW?

8. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    I think those are the right players to keep for sure. Zack Pope is the only one I think should have stayed as well. I am not 'gleeful' that people lost their jobs, far from it. They are all professionals and will move on to other teams. Some will likely develop into incredible players. Others may already be there and just had a bad season or some injuries. I apologize if I came across that way. As an Aztex fan I just want the team to play well and win; as we all do.

9. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From discussions with Adrian, I think the biggest issue that hasn't been mentioned with the 2009 squad is the toll of playing multiple times in several days, and with travel in between matches. Guys that really showed promise early in the season, simply couldn't hold the pace. I look to get some more senior players who've been in MLS and/or USL for a long time, and know what to expect.

To that, I really would like to see amongst the off season signing two in particular. First, I'd love to see Jean Alexandre signed to at least a full season contract (officially or loan). I loved him in the mid field and still remember that rocket just before intermission in PR. I'd also like to see Horst come back as middle defender. Great experience, presence, and flair!

10. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That shot rocked. And I still tell people about it as if it were the best shot ever taken. It was like a rocket from midfield...something I would expect from the likes of Michael Essien.

11. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Those two guys were great for us down the stretch. I just wonder if they are so good that they can command more money elsewhere. I'd LOVE to see either or both back. Horst was just so solid back there.

12. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xpAuGXWIeI&feature=PlayList&p=22E7BC22F2EF66C1&index=4"]YouTube- PR Islanders 4-1 Austin Aztexs_6-12-09_Parte3[/ame]

This one, and Sao Sullie's missle against Cleveland, are IMHO two classic goals that if they aren't all ready they should be submited into the Aztex historic ledger.

13. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instant goal of the week! You're never going to top that one!

14. Waterloo 11

Waterloo 11 Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that the remaining players deserve a second chance, some may still get a chance with a better team (Eddie Johnson and Miguel Gallardo per that press release last month).

I'd love to see Jean Alexandre in an Aztex uniform next year, but he may be ready to be part of the rotation at RSL. He played a few minutes in the 2nd leg of the Columbus game, which was cool to see. He seemed to be most of our offense in the last month of the season.
    I'd love to see David Horst back too. So he could head a ball or two into the net for us on some set plays.

15. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :) Yeah, that would be the Atlantic Coast Conference (right?), not the Austin Community College:)

18. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is obviously a hoax. They spelled "Aztex" right, so it can't possibly be genuine.

20. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe (we should write them and congratulate them on being able to read and transcribe lettering well, God knows a lot of people can't)...but there is a similar article on the Army home-page...and I'm inclined to believe them.

21. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Wachhz

Wachhz New Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Denton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been less active on the boards since moving recently, I haven't had a chance to search for the topic, but it would be a great to have a massive "Aztex alum" thread to keep track of our beloved lost players. For instance, it's great to see Gareth back in action in the UK, and I'd be curious to follow what happens to Andy after recovering from his injuries as well as the others.

23. adoptedsooner

adoptedsooner Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Norman
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm a little behind on this shrinking roster. However, I wonder if this is a sign of improving the team. I think with all the unrest in the league/2nd division, I wonder if some better players will become available in due time. Just a thought...

24. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've tried to keep up with the players on the USL team that are no longer there. I have also kept track of Andy Taylor. Although not a USL1 alum, he was a great PDL squad leader.

So far, the only stuff I heard was rumors. The specific one that I had at the top of the list, until recently, was the possibility of Josh Alcala going to try out for Charleston. However, I don't know what effect (if any) their going down to USL2 will have on his chances/desires to do that.

25. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From http://www.sheffieldunited-mad.co.uk/news/loadfeat.asp?cid=EDYA&id=472711

"In the summer of this year it was rumoured that Heath had applied as manager of Port vale but he still remains as manager of the American club were notable players such as Eddie Johnson (ex-Manchester United and Bradford City) and Alex Tapp (ex-Milton Keynes Dons) apply their trade."

I hadn't heard that one before...