Who could/should we pick up?

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by VioletCrown, Jul 29, 2008.

1. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't trust that everyone on the USL listed roster is signed, and although I would never suggest we sign someone as a result of one performance, I have been impressed with Sam over the times I've seen him. I cannot remember a whole lot about Ryan McMahen, so don't know about it.

2. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure if you check your notes here, you'll remember one particular incident regarding McMahen. Say, around the 35th minute, with an Islanders player running down the left side with no-one in front of him after either Sias (most likely) or Evans made a very late, rash, swinging-at-air attempt at a tackle?

...oh, and I'm pretty sure that the USL won't list someone unless they're signed.

3. Davcre

Davcre New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyi - Ryan is about 6'1" and maybe 175ish ?? a bit bigger than what you've got listed there...

and yes, make no mistake about it, he didn't earn the nickname 'Korean Assassin' for nothing, but he's got incredible touch and can control the flow of play from the CDM spot like a pro

4. Barbaro

Barbaro Member

Roma
    United States
    May 3, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah, hmmm. All those measurements have been updated on the team's current roster. Ryan's now listed at 6'1",167. (BTW, there are now 20 players, and my starting 11 looks a little off.)

5. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been told there are 21, but I have no idea who the 21st is.

6. AztexMessiah

AztexMessiah New Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That #21 would be:

Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez of Chivas de Guadalajara. They will take him on loan
    He's on fire at the moment

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If so, wow, that's crazy. And I wonder why we have an affiliation with Monterrey if we're getting Chivas players. And why Chivas LA wouldn't get first loaner dibs. Any why we'd get him if he's on fire at the moment.

And if you're really just pulling our legs.

8. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once Seattle has Keller and Eylander back, maybe we could pick up this guy.

9. AztexMessiah

AztexMessiah New Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah I was jus kiddin

Sorry VC, He is actually a cousin of mine. Just last year he was a nobody on the team, and only playing 2nd division ball. Now under the new coach Omar Arellano Sr. He is starting I believe he has about 8 goals in 12 games this season, thats including Copa Libertadores

He is a young great prospect, I wouldnt be surprised if he gets called up to the National team.

How nice it would be if the Aztex got chivas to come up here to play, I believe i heard that they would try to get at least 3 mexican clubs to play for exhibitions, Including Monterrey

10. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we need a third keeper?

11. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. I can't honestly say how good Reynolds is. Did good enough in the PK and the second half of the Islanders game, and the second half of the Crew game. So maybe we don't. I was partly operating on an earlier impression that we were still needing a good backup, and seeing an MLS keeper come free made me think we might want to consider it.

12. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I just don't know if we want to carry 3 keepers. And Reynolds is already signed. Hard call to me. Maybe I'm spoiled by years of Friedel at Blackburn where we never played another keeper. I also remember Chelsea's game against Reading where they lost two to head injuries in quick succession...

13. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USL website still says that we can only have 5 foreigners on our game-day roster, but Jeff DiVeronica says 7 are allowed now (scroll down to item 4). It wouldn't exactly surprise me if the USL website, despite the design upgrade, has outdated info on it.

(And, btw, if you don't know DiVeronica, you should. IMHO, he's the best USL beat writer/blogger in the US.)

15. -ATX-

-ATX- Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed the Stoke reserve squad finished their season last week. Since we still have some open spots on the roster I wonder if they'll send some of these boys here to Austin.

http://www.stokecityfc.com/page/ReservesIndex/0,,10310,00.html

The signings were happening so fast, I wonder if Adrian has his eyes on someone?

16. Madmartigen

Madmartigen Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Elgin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. jaysscholar

jaysscholar New Member

May 19, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reynolds is all healed from the hip injury and back doing full practice.

21. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Word is Ciaran O'Brien is coming your way tomorrow from Colorado Rapids. Played for Tacoma Tide in the PDL and USD and UCSB in college. Made famous last year for taking out Carlos Ruiz in his first game and getting a straight red.

22. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    That was one of the most disgusting plays I've ever seen. I love the fact that Ruiz is still earning over a quarter million dollars a year playing in South America and that little douche O'Brien is bouncing around USL teams like an STD at UCSB. Karma is a biatch.

23. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Wow really? Ruiz is a horrible player and couldn't cut it in the MLS for the past few years. Ruiz hasn't done anything since 2002. Teams keep getting hopeful for some unknown reason. As for that play, it was simply a rookie underestimating the speed of a forward and he got caught. It was definitely not intentional, so playing the Karma card is bs. And don't hate on a school as amazing as UCSB. I do find it comical how you just joined bigsoccer to post that comment. Really wanted to put the bash on UCSB/COB that badly huh?

24. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    I don't know if you follow soccer much, or perhaps you lack research skills, but Ruiz is the third leading scorer in Paraguay's domestic league and has his team in the hunt for first place. O'brein's tackle on Ruiz was a blatant attack, the little shit was trying to make a name for himself. And yes UCSB is amazing... at throwing parties.

Anyway, good luck Aztex if you get that puny punk O'brien, just hope he doesn't throw a hissy fit and break your starting striker's ACL in practice.

25. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OOOkkkk :confused:

Now that I'm back, posting, I have had enough time to survey this conversation.

Firstly O'brian didn't even make an appearence on Fri. soo I assume the Gaffer didn't take his option. Secondly, come on bhoys no RAW on RAW violence here, now promise eachother a pitcher or two and make up. :D

Trust me nothing solves dissagremments/insults better than a pint or two of the ole Lord Ivy's brew(aka Guinness). ;)