Who are your top 5 favorites to win Euro 2016, and why?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey All,
    So I kind of really thought about who has the best chance of winning Euro 2016, and picked my top 5 favorites. So Also what are yours?

Here are Mine:

1. Germany: Honestly I think most people agree that Germany is one of the favorites to win, and I'd call them the top favorite. They have a complete team and I honestly don't see anything lacking in them. They have tons of talent in the starting XI and on the bench. I also think Germany is arguably the best managed team at this point. Jochiam Low has won the world cup and had a successful campaign in all european tournaments. I must say they did look questionable in a lot of qualification games most notably against Poland and Ireland, but keep in mind Lahm, Mertasacker, and Klose retired after the world cup and spent time rebuilding their team, and also haven't had even a game in qualifying with all key players availible. So anyway Germany hasn't been clear on which players we will see starting in the tournament. They have used quite a few different starting squads throughout the qualifying campaign. One thing for sure is Low will likely continue with a 4-2-3-1 formation as it seems to suite this team best. Anyway lets look at the talented players they have. Germany has three excellent goalkeepers that are all starters for world class teams: Neuer, Trapp, and Ter Stegen. Also their defense is quite good with Hummels and Boateng most likely to be partnering up together as center backs. Both players are having a great season and although Boateng is working on recovering from an injury at the moment he should be back well before the Euros and before the injury he has been having one of the best seasons of his career. Also on the bench they will have Howedes, Mustafi, and Badstuber if he makes it in time. Then the full backs might be a little weak point for Germany but not too much though, as Ginter seems to be having a great season with Dortmund. Hector on the left has been played throughout the qualifying campaign and seems to be the favorite to start in Left Back. Now their midfield is stronger than ever. Gundogan in my opinion is one of the most promising playmakers this season and will likely be very key in midfield. His vision and passing is exceptional. He also has great shooting. Now Khedira, Schweinsteiger, and Kroos are probably gonna be fighting for a starting spot in the midfield. Khedira seems to be having the best season out of the three as he is key for Juventus and works really hard. Also every time he plays for Germany he is a really good player so I expect Khedira to get the nod over the other two, especially since Schweinsteiger seems to be declining a little and has been struggling with injury lately. Kroos has a good chance but he can be lazy sometimes and doesn't work nearly as hard as Khedira. In attack the question is who will be the number 9 striker. I am telling you Muller, Gotze, and Reus can all play there, but it remains a good question who Low will put there. Ozil will likely be starting in attacking midfield as he is in the form of his life for Arsenal and has been outstanding. Schurrle as well will likely be key in attack. Both Muller and Reus have amazing skills and will be very key going forward. Max Kruse has been kicked out recently and if he makes it he will likely not be a starting player. Draxler as well is having a good season but he will likely be a super sub on the bench. So overall this team is complete with great talent in the starting squad as well as on the bench, and with the experience they have and also being arguably the best managed team in this tournament, they are the top favorites to win Euro 2016.

2. Spain: I have seen many people on these forums on other forums go back and fourth about Spain. Some expect them to win the tournament while others expect them to be a let down and have an early exit. Its true the world cup was an embarrassment, but I think that was a mixture of aging players and new players not linking up well and Del Bosque getting his tactics wrong which is a common thing sometimes. Anyway this team has to be taken very seriously as a contender. The amount of talent they have is unbelievable. There are good players such as Callejon, Albiol, Marcus Alonso, Mata, and maybe Herrera that I can be 90% sure won't even make the squad. When you have players like these left out that means something big. Just to clarify Xavi, Xabi Alonso, David Villa, and Torres have retired. Anyway for goalkeepers I am not sure if they will start Casillas or De Gea. I suppose De Gea will likely be the better option due to Casillas being in decline a bit, and De Gea was man of the match in their last qualifying game vs Ukraine. For a third goalkeeper there are tons of options such as: Rico, Diego Lopez, Moya, etc. Formations for this team have been changed quite a bit, so there isn't any clear or predicted formation this team will use when the Euros start. Ramos and Pique look set to partner up in defense as usual. Then for full backs Alba will probably be on the left, while the right could be either Carvajal, Juanfran, or Azpilicueta. If I was the coach I think Azpilicueta has the edge, but Del Bosque knows a lot of things we don't so its up to him. Then in midfield there is tons of talent with the likes of Busquets, Iniesta, Fabregas, Isco, Thiago Alcantara, Koke, and the list could go on forever. Anyway Busquets and Iniesta are likely guaranteed starters due to playing for Barcelona that won the treble last year and very well is a favorite to win another treble this year. Fabregas started the season horribly but since Hiddink took over Chelsea he has been a key player and his long passes have looked good. Isco despite struggling to get playing time at Real Madrid is a good player with potential so he will likely be key. Thiago Alcantara is not a guaranteed starter but I think he should be, and might be as time goes on. Thiago is having a really good season with Bayern and seems to be at the beginning of his prime. David Silva will also likely play a key part maybe as a winger or a trequartista behind the attack likely supporting it. Pedro might or might not play a key part, but he will very likely be in the squad. Now the big question is who Spain will play as a striker. They have Diego Costa, Morata, and Alcacer. Diego Costa was the EPL top scorer last season and seemed to rediscover his form again under Hiddink this season but hasn't been linking up well when playing in the national team. Morata has seemed to play well though and is having an inconsistent season with Juventus. Alcacer although maybe not as good on paper, seems to be linking up the best with play and tactics. Overall Spain has enormous talent and I think they have almost found rythemn, so I expect them to be second favorites right behind Germany.

3. France: Now the big question for France National Team is will Benzema make the squad. This could well have a big affect on France's chances in Euro 2016. One thing though is they are the hosts and France always seem to do well as hosts. But last time they hosted an international tournament was the 1990's and despite them having great talent now, these are not the days of Zidane, Platini, Vieira, etc. Anyway France will be using likely a lot of young and inexperienced players in midfield and attack. I must mention Paul Pogba as he will be very key in this tournament and is arguably the best player for France sort of on par with Benzema (well if he even makes it). This team looks set for a 4-3-3 formation, as its what seemed to work best in the world cup and friendlies. Lloris will most certainly start in goal as he has conceded the least goals in EPL so far and is likely the best option at the moment. Mandanda is also a good goalkeeper but lets not forget he plays in a rubbish league thats pretty much all PSG. In defense Varane will probably be the key, and the other center back is debatable though. Sakho, Koscielny, and Mathieu will likely have to fight for a place, and in my opinion they are ok, but not world class defenders, so a lot of the defensive work will rely heavily on Varane. However there are a lot of options for full backs with the likes of Evra, Digne, and Sagna all having a great season so far. Now in midfield Pogba will really be key and will likely boss the midfield around, but Matuidi as well can't be forgotten. Matuidi is a really good player and works really hard so he will also be key to the midfield along with Pogba. One question is though who will start in defensive midfield between Pogba and Matuidi. Cabaye has been the starter in the world cup, but Kondogbia and Schneiderlin look set to keep Cabaye on the bench. Although none of their seasons have been outstanding, I expect Schneiderlin to have the edge in the beginning at least. Now in attack one player that will be very key is Griezmann, especially if Benzema doesn't make it. Griezmann is having a great season and will have to be at his best if he wants to with the Euros. Now on the other wing Valbuena was the starter in the world cup, but he is having a dreadful season and seems to have lost his starting place being that he hasn't even been called up to the national team in recent friendlies. However Coman is having a great season with Bayern and is probably the favorite to start there, although Martial has been great for Man Utd as well. Now as striker if Benzema doesn't make it Giroud or Lacazette will likely be the two candidates to start as main striker. Overall I wouldn't be surprised if France win the Euros and they definitely have the players to do it plus home advantage, but I see some lacking parts of the team in certain places especially when it comes to defense seeing there might be too much pressure on Varane, as well as Evra aging, and the other full backs inexperienced. The world class players in this team will have to do a good job in being leaders and playing at their best.

4. Italy: Now for Italy, we can never be 100% sure how they will turn up at Euro 2016. They did have an early exit in 2014 World Cup like Spain, but I think most of that was really down to the coach. Prandelli really didn't know what he was doing and seemed to be tinkering around and even put up with a little rivalry in the team. Since Conte has taken over, I think the team has improved a bit, but Conte seems to also be struggling with finding the best formation and tactics for the team. What definitely has greatly improved though is the team spirit. Anyway I am pretty sure Italy will go far in the Euros and has a good chance of winning the tournament. They have amazing talent and a lot of future world class players, and the main problem I see is Conte doesn't really know how to use it and build a team. The formation and players have been different throughout qualifying campaign so we don't have a clear idea on how Italy will lineup at the Euros. Anyway Buffon is arguably the best goalkeeper in the world and has just broke the Serie A record a few days ago. Perin and Sirigu are favorites to be the backup goalkeepers and both of them are pretty decent despite Sirigu getting benched most of the season. The defense will be very key as Italy have the best defense in the world. Chiellini/Bonucci/Barzagli link up very well at Juventus and I expect to see the same thing with the Azzurri as they have been outstanding and really have formed the world's best defense in this generation. Now Florenzi is having an amazing season as a fullback and the way he was able to manage Ronaldo and Neymar in the UCL has been beyond impressive. Darmian as well probably has the other fullback spot all but locked up. Now in midfield Marchisio and Verratti will be very key. Marchisio works really hard and is very versatile. He has arguably been Juventus' best midfielder last season in reaching the UCL final, and is probably at his prime now. Verratti is a young playmaker with tons of potential and is PSG's best midfielder. His vision and passing is outstanding and is predicted to be the next Pirlo. Now speaking of Pirlo he has a slight chance of going to Euro 2016 but Conte has repeatedly talked about snubbing him as he is aging and he will 99% not be a starting player even if he makes the squad. De Rossi as well has been rumored to be snubbed but DDR still has a lot to offer especially defensively. In attack Insigne has been having the best season of his life and will likely be supporting the attack, with either Candreva or Bernardeschi on the other side. Candreva hasn't had a good season, but has been consistent for the Azzurri, so he might make it, while Bernardeschi is on the verge of making his debut within the next few days, and has been in outstanding form for Fiorentina. Insigne and Bernardeschi will likely be key to supporting the attack, but the real problem is the Azzurri don't have a number 9 striker that is world class and is consistent enough. Pelle will likely be starting there and at least he seems to be back to scoring form. Zaza, Gabbiadini, and Giovinco are other possible options but both Gabbs and Zaza are bench players, and Giovinco plays in MLS although he would be useful. Overall like France, I see this team able to win the Euros, but I wouldn't bet on it just yet. France has a little advantage over Italy due to playing at home.

5. Belgium: Now there have been mixed thoughts about Belgium's chances in Euro 2016. On paper they do have a good team with the likes of: Courtois, Kompany, Nainggolan, De Bruyne, and Hazard. One problem though is Hazard is having a dreadful season, and this will not help the team in any way. Anyway most of their players are talented, but another thing is on the bench they have tons of talent in attack but lacking in defense. Belgium will likely use a 4-2-3-1 formation, as they have used it since the world cup and all the way through qualifying. Now Courtois is guaranteed to start in goal as he as been really good this season since Hiddink took over, with Mignolet likely being second choice. Now in defense there are debates on whether Kompany can stay healthy and will be able to make it, and even if he does make it there are questions on whether he will be at his best form or not due to him being very injury prone this season. The other thing is Kompany doesn't really have someone to partner up with. Alderweireld is a good player but he will likely be used as a full back due to lack of that as well. Lombaerts is an average player but not world class. Now for full backs I just mentioned Alderweireld who will likely play there and Vertonghen if he makes it in time will play on the other side. In midfield Nainggolan has been outstanding for Roma especially since Spaletti has taken over, so he is guaranteed a starting place. Witsel and Fellaini will be fighting for the other place in CM, but I suppose Witsel has the edge due to more playing time, although both are really just above average and not world class. In attack De Bruyne is gonna have to be at his best as he has been having a good season since his injury, although he should be back within a month. De Bruyne is probably Belgium's best player at the moment and will be a huge key player. Pace on the wing will really depend on Hazard whether he finds his form in time. If he does he will be a huge threat but if he doesn't Belgium are in trouble. On the other wing Mertens and Carrasco will likely be fighting for a place and both of them have been let downs this season. Mertens has been really inconsistent while Carrasco occasionally starts for Atletico Madrid. Up front Lukaku will likely be leading the line as he is having an amazing season, so his form will have a big effect on the team as well. Overall Belgium have a chance, but most of their players being very injury prone this season might have destroyed their hopes. Hazard out of form doesn't help either. I think this will be down to De Bruyne, Nainggolan, and Lukaku, while the rest will depend on the form of Kompany and Hazard.

So these are my five favorites to win the competition. What do you all think? What about yours?

2. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    You have basically chosen the favs which I suppose is understandable.
    Germany A great team who should go all the way
    Spain The Spanish have a fairly easy gorup and should reach at least the Semi final.
    England Similar to Spain they have an easyish group and QF the least they will do.
    Croatia If they finish second to Spain they could meet them again in the final. 125/1 with a certain bookie worth a punt.
    Italy Always a good side and they played well against Spain in last nights friendly. Could go far.
    France an easy group an easy last 16 after winning the group a decent QF, semi final will be their downfall.
    Final
    Spain/England v Germany
    Spain v Croatia for an out side interest.

3. iggymcfly

iggymcfly Member

Jun 20, 2014
    1. France is as talented as anyone except Germany and they're hosting. I think they should really be the favorites. They have tons of attacking talent with or without Benzema, and Pogba's probably the best 2-way midfielder in the world.

2. Germany's obviously the second favorite. Not only are they tremendously talented all over the pitch, but they also have tremendous chemistry both from their World Cup run, and from the fact that so many of them play club football together at Bayern. They're clearly the best team in the world right now, I just don't think it's enough to overcome the homefield advantage.

3. England
    is easy to dismiss since they haven't gone deep in a major tournament in a while, but they have every bit of the talent necessary to win the Euros. They were the only team to go a perfect 10-0-0 in qualifying scoring 31 goals while giving up only 3. And that was before Harry Kane had really blossomed into a full-fledged superstar. If he's launching quick strike goals while Rooney watches from the bench, the Lions only get more dangerous.

4. Italy might be a little high on pure talent, but they've got a little bit of the chemistry thing working with the teammates at Juve, and it seems like their players have really been on good club form. Also agree that the coaching change is a positive. Just have a feeling they're making the semis.

5. Spain should really be higher objectively even if I'm not feeling them as much as Italy and England. They were having the most dominant stretch in the history of world football until they had one bad tournament at the World Cup. It does seem like they're aging a bit, so it probably wasn't a pure fluke, but they're obviously still super talented.

Honorable mentions:

Portugal
    is aging and like Spain, they're coming off a bad tournament, but they still have tons of talent all over the pitch, and you know Ronaldo's gonna do everything he can to bring a trophy home in what might be the last major international tournament where he's still at the peak of his powers.

Belgium is incredibly talented everywhere with De Bruyne specifically having made a big leap since the last World Cup, but given their draw, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go out early.

Russia is a team I'd guess could make the quarterfinals, as with basically the whole team playing domestically, they'll have a huge chemistry edge and will also be extra focused on the national team in preparation for their home World Cup.

4. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Spain has probably the toughest group, bud. Croatia is a great team with a deadly midfield while Modric plays for Real Madrid and has one a UCL before. Rakitic and Mandzukic have both won trebles and those three players are really difficult to handle at their best. Then you have Perisic who has been having a great season and can really do tons of damage when it comes to shooting on goal and dribbling skill. Croatia are lacking in some places but with 3 UCL winning players as well as a few others having a great season, they are a very difficult team to beat. Honestly I rate Croatia above England and Portugal. Then Czech Republic had a great qualifying campaign and topped basically the group of death, while Turkey as well I'd say did the impossible with after having a horrible start, they became much better and qualified as best third placed team. Group D is the Group of Death.

5. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    By the way this is who I think will advance from the group stages. Remember 4 third placed teams go through:

Group A:
    1. France
    2. Switzerland

Group B:
    1. England
    2. Slovakia
    3. Russia

Group C:
    1. Germany
    2. Ukraine
    3. Poland

Group D:
    1. Spain
    2. Croatia

Group E:
    1. Italy
    2. Belgium
    3. Republic of Ireland

Group F:
    1. Portugal
    2. Iceland
    3. Austria

6. am0985

am0985 Member

Oct 29, 2013
    This might be the first tournament when non-English people seem to rate our chances more than we do! General consensus here is that we don't have much of a chance of winning it, even though we do have some genuine young talent in our side for the first time in a while. If we make QFs whilst playing some good football and go out bravely to a top side I think most people would be content, anything above that would be a bonus.

1. France - brilliant team on paper. They played some of the best football in 2014 though they were a bit disappointing against Germany. The team have only got better and matured since then. Playing at home, there would be a big emotional connection in them winning given events of the last year or so which often can play a big part. They basically have everything going for them, and even a big injury to someone like Pogba wouldn't change that for me such is their strength in depth.

2. Germany - world champions. Still have most of that nucleus of their side, tremendous squad depth, great team ethic. Basically everything that made them the best side at 2014 is still there, however I expect them to meet France in the semi finals and face a much tougher test than Brazil!

3. Spain - had a terrible World Cup but you'd back them to bounce back this time round. There's more than enough quality in their squad. Only thing is their group could be a potential banana skin. Croatia, Turkey and Czech Republic will all be teams capable of taking points from Spain - although they'll still likely make it through even if they do badly with the current format.

4. Belgium - Have a fantastic squad who have been maturing over the last few years. Now they have quality all through the team, their games should be very well attended by their fans. Have a tough group though, but they're the best team on paper in it.

5. Italy - Either they have a terrible tournament or they have an excellent one. If they don't implode in the group stage (possible given their group), they tend to do very well in the knockouts. They're excellent at grinding out results, though one wonders whether this might be a tournament too far for Pirlo.

Honourable mentions:
    England - first time in a while there's a crop of genuinely exciting youngsters. Even in England's "golden generation", what we really lacked was pace, creativity and flair meaning that what was a great set of players on paper ended up playing one paced, lumpen football as a team. However now with the likes of Dele Alli, Kane, Barkley and Sterling the side has a much more dynamic look to it. I don't think this is the tournament but hopefully it can be something to build from.

Croatia - They have one of the finest midfields in the tournament. They have a history of over performing in a few tournaments before but this is genuinely one of their most talented sides since Euro '96. They played well in the first two games of the World Cup and one bad game against Mexico cost them. Main problem here is their tough group, with not a single easy game.

Portugal - Cristiano Ronaldo. Not a huge amount else, but if they can get to the QFs (bearing in mind if they win their group they'll be up against Belgium/Italy probably) anything is possible.

7. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    1. Germany
    They have a good team and track record of success. May've wobbled a bit recently, but it's be foolish not to recognize a strong German team as one of the top favorites.

2.France.
    Good team, bags of talent and in-form. They really need to at least make the final to cement their new reputation after previous teams have self-imploded.

3. Spain
    They still have a lot of talent, even though the world has moved on from the tika-taka style. I feel they will go far, but ultimately miss out as they can't bludgeon everyone with their sheer talent like they used to.

4. England
    Difficult to be object to be honest, but so many young, talented and in-form players, plus perfect qualification, albeit from an easy group. The question is can they make it all come together and is Roy Hodgson really the man to do this?

5. Italy
    A bit of over-reliance on the previous generation and underwhelming youngsters, but like an old gnarly crocodile, it's easy to write them off until they've got their jaws clamped around you.

Honorable mentions:

Belgium
    Enough talent to go all the way, but I've just never seen them be consistent enough against good teams to do it. If they could turn it around then they could go all the way.

Portugal
    Rely way too much on CR, but when firing on all cylcinders CR can carry them to the later stages, but I think they'd need a bit more to win it.

8. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    By the way just to clarify Pirlo likely will not make the squad, and most surely he will not start if he does. He is way too old and we have Marchisio and Verratti.

Speaking of that I don't think Belgium are better than Italy on paper.

Buffon and Courtois are comparable but I still think Buffon has the edge a bit even though its past his prime.

Italy has a much better defense. Chiellini/Bonucci/Barzagli is probably the best defense in the world this generation at least with national teams. Kompany is also a great defender but may not be in his best form and even if he is who will partner him? Lombaerts is mediocre at best, and Alderweireld is preferred as a full back under Wilmonts. Vertonghen and Alderweireld are really good players, and maybe comparable with Darmian and Florenzi.

Then in midfield Marchisio and Verratti are miles above Witsel and Nainggolan, although Nainggolan is improving and can be a huge threat, he is not the quality of Marchisio, and most certainly not Verratti. In attack De Bruyne is their best player and he is probably better than any of Italy's attacking players. Lukaku is also having a good season and I think is better than Pelle, Zaza, or Gabbiadini at least at shooting. Mertens is not nearly the quality of Insigne though and he can lose the ball too easily. Hazard used to be good but he is completely out of form and he usually has a record of not playing as good for Belgium as he does for Chelsea so that is also no good sign, and I think Bernardeschi who is having an excellent season can be comparable with him or possibly better.

9. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    A matter of opinion I suppose. I do rate Croatia if you read above I have backed them to meet Spain in the Final at a very tasty price. I think Spain are far better than them tho. The Czechs lost to Scotland last night they are shit. Turkey are also shit. But that's just my interpretation. ;-)
    I think Group E or F are the hard ones to predict.

Re your Group winners. I agree with all of them. ;-) Trouble is we know there will be a few surprises so it won't be as we think.

10. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL Czech vs Scotland was a friendly. Anyway yeah the way I predicted them were kind of favorites, but there are always upsets so we never know.

Pretty much Group A is the only group streight forward to predict. I would bet on France and Switzerland to advance, but the rest could really go any way.

Croatia are a good team, but I doubt they will make the final against Spain though. They aren't THAT strong.

11. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    I'll be at the final so I hope it's a good one! Been at the last 3 and this might well be my last. I would love it to be England v Germany. I'd fly my son ever for that so he can say " I was there " for the next 60 years till their next one. ;-)

12. kaczka

kaczka Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Edmonton, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    France, Spain, Italy can win this.

Belgium crashes out early, they will lose to Italy, Sweden and we will wonder how this team could ever be #1 in the 'rankings'.

Also, look for Poland. Pains me to say it, but they will make a run.

calabrese8 repped this.
  13. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I bet it will be Spain vs either France, Germany, or Italy.

14. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Don't forget 4 third places teams also advance. I do think Belgium will lose to Italy, but not Sweden. Sweden is all Ibrahimovic really, and they were shocking in many group stage games, and had a pretty easy group. Especially the loss to Austria 4-1 at home. I actually think Ireland have a better shot than Sweden, because they play well as a team and are pretty organized defensively as well as having a smart manager.

15. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Great attack but very shaky and uncomfortable defense at the back.

16. am0985

am0985 Member

Oct 29, 2013
    #16 am0985, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    http://euro2016.eurosport.co.uk This is a good predictor.

Spain/Croatia/Czech/Turkey's group is an interesting one - whoever comes top has potentially a good run to the semi finals. Unless France or Germany stuff up their groups, the toughest opponents they'd have to face would be Switzerland or Poland.

However whoever comes 2nd has a tough run - whoever comes top out of Belgium/Italy's group in R16 followed by likely Germany in the QF.

It's probably better to finish 3rd in that group rather than 2nd (so long as you make it through) as the toughest 2nd round opponent you'd face would be England, followed by Belgium/Italy in the QFs.

Just goes to show what a silly format this is...

Based on this I'm going for a Spain-France final, but if Spain don't top the group then it could be Italy, Belgium or Croatia as finalists...

17. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My predictions: Screen shot 2016-03-27 at 12.03.04 AM.png Screen shot 2016-03-27 at 12.03.12 AM.png

Now I admit, I am bias here because I am italian and of course I want my team to win, but I honestly due think it could come out like this.

18. iggymcfly

iggymcfly Member

Jun 20, 2014
    With the aid of the tool. I get:

Quarterfinals: Spain def. Switzerland, England def. Portugal, Germany def. Italy, France def. Russia
    Semifinals: England def. Spain, France def. Germany
    Finals: France def. England

19. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Stop posting on here, nobody believes a word that comes out of your mouth. You are bias beyond belief. Italy will struggle to get past the QF, I can think of at least 5 better teams

P to the Wee repped this.
  20. Wolves1889

Wolves1889 Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    We are coming together in a better way now.We are on our way up.
    The biggest problems we have had has been in defence,but with Nilsson Lindelöf and Augustinsson hopefully breaking into the Euro starting eleven and Mikael Lustig hopefully being free from injuries things are starting to look brighter.
    Midfield is in a generation change.Forsberg Ekdahl Lewicki could however very well start..and they ain´t all bad.
    Zlatan has never been better I suppose and he can score against any opposition.John Guidetti will probably play with him up front.

As always,we doesn´t have the biggest names in our squad but we are significantly better than we were during qualification and we do think we are capable of beating Ireland.
    Likewise,often we manage to carve out a decent result against Italy and we might have an allready clear Belgium in the last group match.

Expectations here is that we will come through the group,and then it will depend on opposition.

21. VaiBrasil

VaiBrasil Member

May 20, 2014
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Not that I believe these teams will actually win, but there's very little faith here for some of the top teams from qualifying: The Czechs, Iceland, Wales, N Ireland, Austria, the Slovaks or Swiss. Again, it's highly unlikely these teams will make it into the final four but you have to imagine a few will squeeze into the Quarters. It happens at every WC and now that the Euros expanded to 24, we have a R16 that will be very open for the first time, with 3rd place group finishers getting through. The R16 will be the most interesting part of the tournament in my opinion, a wide open field with world heavyweights like Germany, France, Spain and Italy mixing it up with new powers like Wales, Austria, maybe Iceland...you can also never count out the Turks, what they did in those final few qualifying matches was nothing short of miraculous (or if you're Dutch, absolutely horrifying). I expect at least one surprise team will make it to the final four. Anyone else?

22. Wolves1889

Wolves1889 Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Iceland is certainly in France on merit,and they could very well be the surprise package of this tourney.Those that remember Euro 92 and 04 is always on the lookout for the accomplished underdog.
    Iceland is a Lagerbäck team.Extremly well organised with a good team spirit and strong in defence.
    They handled Holland in qualifications,and any team that manages that is worthy of respect.
    Austria we Sweden had in our group and they beat us with ease.
    Definetly the best Austrian team I´ve seen since the days of Hans Krankl.Everyone should look out for them.

23. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here is what I think about them:

Czech Republic and Turkey: They are great teams and very capable of taking points from Spain and Croatia, but the fact is they are in the group of death as all teams can really take points from each other. Spain will go really hard especially after their world cup disappointment. Croatia as well I think have something to prove and have a great team spirit under the new coach. The thing is Czechs and Turkey are equally good, and I expect them to draw either 1-1 or 2-2 which will leave them both at one point, and knock them out of the whole group stage due to only being at 1 point and not making the best four third placed teams. Assuming they don't take points from Spain or Croatia which is very possible, but I do however think Spain and Croatia are both hungry enough to take all the points from the Czechs and Turks.

Iceland: Now this team I expect to make the quarterfinals, but I am not sure about the semis, because if you look at my predictions, I don't see them knocking out France the home team. But yes they are a great team under Largerback and have huge spirit and are organized. They definitely will make the next round. I actually wouldn't be surprised if they even win their group, but I do think Portugal might just edge it. Austria as well are improving and are a great team, but I do think Iceland has a better team spirit with the better manager.

Wales: I don't expect much from them. The only reason why they even got so far in the group because Bosnia were managed badly and completely out of form in the beginning, as well as Belgium were also not managed that good and were out of form for the beginning. The goal they even scored against Belgium was a huge mistake by Nainggolan who headed the ball to Bale to score it. Also Slovakia is another one and they have impressed me much more than Wales.

Northern Ireland: Had the easiest group in the world. Romania, Hungary, and Finland are all shit teams really, and Greece was out of form completely and had a huge problem in their team. Looking at the group they had with Greece out of form, I am not surprised nor impressed. Also Poland, Ukraine, and Of Course Germany are all by far superior sides.

Austria: They were also impressive, with special credit to Alaba and Janko. However again their group was the second easiest group in the qualification campaign. Russia under Capello was a joke, as Capello admitted he couldn't even communicate with the players and he needed a translator the whole time, as well as we all know Capello is really strict and can discourage the players which can often ruin the team spirit. Russia was lacking a lot of confidence until the end. Sweden that relied completely on Ibrahimovic and couldn't even beat the Russians that didn't even have confidence was also something, so their group was easy. So I must say that Austria have impressed me a bit, but I am not sure if I can take them too seriously yet or not.

Slovakia: I do expect a little surprise from them and I see them coming second in their group. Hamsik, Kucka, and Vittek are great players and seem to link up well with the team. The upset against Spain was also hugely impressive. I think by the end they got satisfied quickly and weren't trying their best at the end, so I do expect something from this team.

Switzerland: This team is kind of comparable with Ukraine, good team but lacking complete world class players though, and I expect them to do their usual thing, maybe quarters and second in group to France.

24. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    SHUT UP unless you have something serious to say. With my prediction attachment I said I was bias, but not with my starting post about the winners.

25. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What's the point in posting it then. Everybody knows that every time you post it will be about how great Italy supposedly are! Your post comparing the Italian and French squads proves everything we needed to know.

Italy are 6th favourites IMO.

1- France, Germany
    3- Spain
    4- Belgium, England
    6- Italy, Portugal