Who are you rooting for in the MLS cup?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SamSam, Dec 9, 2016.

?

Who are you rooting for in the MLS cup?

Poll closed Dec 11, 2016.
  1. Seattle

30.0%
  2. Toronto

70.0%
  1. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If we're looking for a close baseball comparison, it would be something like this - http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MLN/MLN195905260.shtml

Haddix vs. Burdette, settled in the 13th inning. Considered a classic rather than a black eye that marred the sport. I'm not saying the MLS Cup was a legendary game, but I don't see why anyone needs to apologize for a tactical, defensive cup final. Those happen.

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at the game highlights on the MLS website and you'll see several Toronto chances ranging from "shooda haddits" to half-chances. If any of them had gone in, the tune would have been very different. So it wasn't as if there was no creativity or attempt to attack. It wasn't one of those games where both teams are bunkering and niether one is daring enough to even attempt to score. A very different animal.

Just because the game ended without any goals doesn't necessarily mean that it was "boring."

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only that second minute shot by Jozy hadn't just missed the post...

4. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true, I use the same line whenever I'm talking to my non-soccer friends too.

But this was a boring.

SamSam repped this.
  5. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I detest PK shootouts to decide a title.

My proposed alternative - golden goal extra time, in 15 minute chunks. At the beginning of each chunk, each team must subtract a player. Teams get an extra sub at the beginning of the extra time.

By the time you get to 8 v 8 for minutes 121 - 135, there'd be so much space on the field you'd be sure to see a goal. And they could use the 4th sub to put on a speedster to take advantage of all that space.

pwykes, ToMhIlL, BERich and 2 others repped this.
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the suggestion above, and it pretty much forces that a goal will be scored in the run of play somehow. Bringing in fresh legs will also help.

But that idea has been around since the early 90s and the stodgy guardians of the game don't seem likely to seriously consider it. As a compromise solution, even if they used the old MLS-style shootouts instead of PKs to determine winners in the knockout stages of a tournament. At least there is some strategy involved and the keeper has a fighting chance.

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah the early MLS shootouts were horrible. Let's never go back there. Ever.

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way they were used to break ties in regular season games, absolutely.

But in a knockout tournament where you need to have someone win, I would argue that they are better than PKs. A shootout situation like a breakaway actually could happen in the run of play during a game, so it is more realistic than a PK.

9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Not that it'll ever happen, but I like the old (old) way, replay it.