Who are you rooting for in the MLS cup?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SamSam, Dec 9, 2016.

?

Who are you rooting for in the MLS cup?

Poll closed Dec 11, 2016.
  1. Seattle

30.0%
  2. Toronto

70.0%
  1. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we do this every year, but who do you want to win the cup and why?

2. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no issues with either team. I went with Toronto, because I have a tendency to root for the team from my conference.

3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto all the way. I would also be rooting for Montreal if they had won, but I think Tronna has a better chance. I never cared much for Seattle, and the whole "Seattle invented..." bit is old, obnoxious and played.

But most of all, I'd like to see a good game, well played without being too cautious, as cup finals can tend to be.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Asteroid.

5. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm keeping that in my pocket in case Chicago reaches the Cup again.

Doublecard, patfan1 and frankieg73 repped this.
  6. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Tough one. Been thinking about it all week.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the city of Toronto. Always have, always will. But if they win, it's a victory for big spenders and that depresses me as a Revs' fan. And the last time I was in T.O. there was TFC merch everywhere and hardly a shred of evidence that my Blue Jays existed, so that bugs me.

Never been to Seattle, though I'd like to go and I hear it's beautiful. Jealous of their huge crowds, but not their hipster fans. And Starbucks... My wife has wasted so much money on their crap and she can't stop buying their stupid coffee mugs.

So, can I cheer on the refs?

7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you are having a hard time deciding whether or not to root for a team whose merch is everywhere, and overshadows the local baseball team who went further in the playoffs than the Sox?

Unfortunately, almost any team that wins MLS Cup would be a victory for big spenders. Or at least competent, ambitious organizations, which, as Rev fans, should depress us all!

8. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I hope it's a great game without refereeing controversy. I'd like to see Toronto win. It's a great city, I have family there, and the club deserves a trophy. It's also tough to root against Altidore and Bradley. But I wouldn't begrudge Seattle a win.

Either way I think it's great that we're likely to see more Giovincos and Lodeiros in the league.

NFLPatriot and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  9. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle. I have family in Washington, and Sounders games are a hell of an experience. I happened to be out there for the first leg of the series with Colorado, and it was pretty great, despite the pouring rain.

(For what it's worth, I still rank Seattle matches a shade under Timbers matches. The Timbers fandom just feels a bit more authentic, somehow – less polished, more effusive. I'm a bit biased there too though – I have family and friends in Portland. So I'm kind of a heretic by rooting for both Portland and Seattle.)

10. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to support the team with the most ex-Revs, then you'll be rooting for Seattle. That said, they only have one -- Clint Dempsey -- and he's not playing.

The truth is there's things to like about both these teams. I'm kind of partial to Seattle, for no perfectly good reason. Maybe I just like rave green.

11. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I vote for the East. I also think the Toronto fans have been loyal and haven't had a lot to cheer about since they joined MLS

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto spent 22m, Seattle spent 12m, so it's at minimum double what the revs spent. In fact Giovinco alone makes more than the entire revs 2016 roster.

This. Toronto is a great city and BMO is a good place to watch a game. I saw the revs there in Tierney's first ever appearance back in August 2008. Then there is Seattle. Their fans would be insufferable if they win. Besides, Giovinco is my favorite non rev in the league right now so I want him to win the Cup and get capped for Italy, which will be good for the league.

13. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alan Kelly

a517dogg repped this.
  14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the game and it's frustrating to see a veteran Cup winning CB like Drew Moor go to TFC for $250k guarantees while the revs have Goncalves making over $479k guaranteed and a rotating door of CB partners in Watson, Farrell and others. CB was a known problem last winter that was never properly addressed. Sigh.

15. propnut27

propnut27 Member

Barcelona, Tottenham Hotspur
    Germany
    Mar 15, 2009
    Naples Fl.
    Club:
    --other--
    The "Beautiful Game" is a concept still beyond the grasp of anyone connected with MLS. This MLS Cup match was a completely bloody awful sham played by two sides of hacking frauds. What a disaster! That was probably the last MLS game with which I will ever soil my retinas.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great back and forth game last night in brutally cold conditions. Both teams went hard for it but clear chances were hard to come by. Thankfully there weren't many cards. It was everything you'd expect a cup final to be. It reminded me of the '02 Cup in Foxboro and I was holding my breath for the ball to bounce just right for Morris to run onto.

Alas, tough break for TFC but they put in a hell of a fight in front of their fans and apart from that fingertip save towards the end, they'd be Champs.

17. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a great match, to be sure, but I would hardly say this was a typical MLS match. Regular-season matches are usually better. It's hard to say why that is, but I really think the cold didn't help in this case. I like the idea of playing the final in one of the home stadiums, but outdoors in mid-December in Toronto or Foxboro or Columbus or even now Minnesota is always going to be chancy.

I don't really like the Super Bowl approach of playing in a neutral warm-weather stadium, but something should be done. Me, I'd find a way to compress the playoffs, which are interminable anyway, and play the final the weekend of Thanksgiving. I know the international break falls awkwardly, but to me that's the only dilemma to be resolved.

Doublecard repped this.
  18. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winning MLS Cup without a single shot on Goal:eek: How sick is that ???? :rolleyes:

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Key part ...

20. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh. I'd take it but the idea that a team can win the big one that way is exactly why many Americans can't get close to tolerating much less liking the sport.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good, let them watch the other shitty sports instead.

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course. But that's also part of the sport. There would be no complaints if the Red Sox won a game in which they were one-hit. Some American sports fans are just hypocritical.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  23. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Yeah, we're past the point of needing to win people over who don't understand the situational aspect of a cup final.

That said it was fairly ridiculous that it took Seattle 70-something minutes to even attempt a shot. At least the challenges were interesting.

24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but Seattle was no-hit. So this would be the equivalent of the Sox going hitless, but having a player reach first base on a dropped third strike, steal second, move to third on a sacrifice fly, then scoring on a passed ball....

An ugly win is still a win.

25. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a die hard soccer fan, and I still hate this aspect of the sport. I can't remember the last time I've watched a good soccer final. We should promote and nationally televise the semi finals, and then play the final in a closed match so no one has to watch that train wreck ever again.