Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    re: david norman jr going to Inter Miami for a 2022 supplemental draft pick- someone at the Caps (MDS!!) needs to explain this move as it sure looks HORRENDOUS to ship an time-invested academy player out for such a minimal return

is MDS saying that norman is worse than PC, sutter, Rose and levis ?? the optics are terrible for a Club struggling to re-connect with its fan base that are leaving in droves

they should have let him get re-conditioned in the CPL and bring him back for a serious opportuntiy for 2020

somebody got another spin on this ??

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

3. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i will be taking it in, maybe as a STH-

tired and frustrated with the corporate and meaningless rhetoric (Steve Nash saying the Caps are on a re-set so we shouldnt be discouraged and angered by the lack of investment and meaningful engagement by the owners- what surprises me is that the media buys and pedals his BS- the supporters DONT); ST sales will be under 10K, a drop of 50% is a distinct possibility from 15K

i will keep a hopeful watch on the CPL progress in langley - the group leading this would be wise to look at some type of supporter investment with some degree of constructive involvement in running the Club- hit it at the grassroots level- GETTING PEOPLE INVOLVED IN THE CLUB IS THE KEY TO LONG-TERM SUCCESS

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Can't wait to have you guys join the movement

And CPL motto is including the supporters and community

HFX Wanderers

Forge FC

FC Edmonton

The commissioner David Clanachan hated the concept of teams not having their cities part of the name and found some of the names weird. Ultimately, the league and clubs listened to supporters and community.

Another say this league is different

5. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I always assumed this was because of their idea of having more than one team in a city. So if they eventually wanted to put a second team in, say, Calgary that they didn't want the existing team to be called Calgary ABC.

6. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    interesting- never considered that

7. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    JJ Adams appeared that he was awe-struck in his interview with minority owner, steve nash- came across as pandering to the Super hero without really adding grit and intensive interviewing which IMO should have been done

MLS HQs has to be putting pressure on the ownership to buck up or sell their 49%- we deserve better than nash's inane comments

8. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I don't know why David Norman Jr was traded but we'll see if he makes Miami's team before I pass judgement on this trade. Only 4 appearances for the reserve team this year (injured most of the season). Played 12 games in Scotland's second division for Queen of the south last year.

Obviously not the type of midfielder they are looking for or at 21 they hadn't seen enough development recently or maybe they need the space for someone else coming up? It is always "what have you done lately" in pro sports. He signed in 2017 so they don't want to exercise his options. Resign or try someone else obviously went to "try someone else".

So far Miami has signed three 19 year olds (Christian Makoun, Matias Pellegrini and Julian Carranaza) and David is 21 years old so they appear to be filling out the youth first. I'm happy for him. A fresh start in totally new surroundings where nobody cares what your dad did and you have to compete day in and day out against others your age from all over the world. Hopefully he does a "Kaye".

Good luck David.

9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He played well for Pacific last night. He looks very promising.

What the hell were the Whitecaps thinking???

10. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    He plays center mid, attacking mid so obviously hasn't played it well enough to get more time at the MLS level for that position. We'll see if they have anyone else in the pipeline who plays CM/AM. They didn't want to exercise the option years. Inbeom plays CM/AM so if David isn't going to get any time behind him it is best for all that he move on.

11. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    if there is 1 significant sign of the incompetence of the Whitecap Club (vision, plan and outcome), it has to be the lack of any academy player making it to a regular starter since its inception in 2008 (i believe) - its either a lack of belief in young canadian talent or poor coaching ... probably both

Robert Borden repped this.
  12. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    #1837 tm13, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Davies? Teibert (1 yr TFCA, 2 yrs Caps Res)? Adekugbe (took the LB spot for 9 games but then got injured)?

The Caps teams play very good up to the 18+ level. That is where they fall off. Most should go to university. If you haven't got at least regular subs by the age of 18 you are not the next Davies. Go to university.

Which players who've left the Caps play at a MLS or higher level? You've overlooked the obvious that maybe the players were just not good enough. Aside from Davies nobody is playing a MLS or higher level. How many from TFC academy? Montreal Academy?

Developing players is way more complex than I thought (and yourself as well).

Sorry but we disagree on this one.

13. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you can’t coach speed or overall athleticism. You can help a player maximize what they have and how to play the game but that doesn’t get you to the highest levels. The larger the area that Caps academy can recruit from, the better their chances of being able to get the kind of raw material you can turn into a first teamer.

14. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    davies was developed mainly in edmonton and came to the Caps virtually ready- he only spent a short time with the residency team; teibert - as you said, did spend 2 years in the residency program

i would consider teibert as the ONLY residency player who made it to the 1st team

you must agree that is a a terrible outcome, especially with no graduates since teibert in 2011; bair might be the next

its a lot of money- in the millions- in a program for 1-2 players , wouldnt you agree?

my point is the residency program is a sign of a Team with little vision, development, strategy and outcomes- it reverberates through the whole Club

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  16. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    They actually spent money on development in the past too... training center, PDL, USL, etc.

ANd yes, all they have turned into a 1st team regular long term for the Caps is Teibert.

They are useless at everything, even things they invest money on!

17. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I keep hearing that from people but the facts show different. He went to the Caps at age 14. NOBODY is "virtually ready" at 14 and I mean NOBODY EVER IN HISTORY NOT EVEN MESSI. There is a ton of development and some critically important years were spent in Vancouver's system.

The question is why can't you (and others) give any credit to the Caps?

2005 Edmonton Internationals & 2006–2014 Edmonton Strikers (from 6 to 14 years old)
    2015–2016 Whitecaps Residency
    2016 Whitecaps FC II and had 11 appearances and 2 goals
    2016–2018 Whitecaps FC and had 65 appearances and 8 goals

What about Adekugbe? 7 years with Calgary Foothills and 2 with the Caps Res. Took the starting position from Harvey who was a seasoned vet then suffered an injury that set him back badly.

Bair has shown he is able at the MLS level and Ardiaz will probably be gone because of him so Bair will be fighting for minutes as a starter / sub next year.

I count 4 MLS level players in 10 years (Teibert, Adakugbe, Davies, Bair). What were you expecting? One a year? I'd love it but highly unlikely anywhere.

They just made $12-22 MILLION off one of them so no I wouldn't agree.

By the way this review of MLS academies from 2017 has the Caps at 5th (BEFORE Davies sale!)
    https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/how-they-rank:-the-best-mls-academies_aid41352

This one from 2018 has the Caps academy at 6th
    https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/mls-top-academies-and-the-players-who-make-them/

The Caps teams do good up to the 18+ level. That is factual and easily checked. It is post academy that the players are not living up to the unrealistic expectations of some fans. Would I like better? Of course. There is always room for improvement but to say the negative things being thrown around is just unrealistic.

It has been a very long, bad and depressing season on and off the field. That is coloring a lot of people's view of everything Whitecaps being bad. Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

18. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i always appreciate your insights and research which is sometimes better than mine

but i have some news for -- THE BABY HAS ALREADY BEEN THROWN OUT AND NEEDS A MAJOR RESUSCITATION AND SURGERY TO BE REVIVED- not sure it can happen with what we have in leadership roles and its why i will give the CPL team in langley- if it happens- a definite check/cheque

tm13 repped this.
  19. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    LOL. Thanks Hot Potato. I needed the laugh. Anything to pick my mood up this season is greatly appreciated and I mean that sincerely.

This has been worse than the expansion season. There I was expecting a write off of a season as everyone adapted to the next level up from where they were. This season I foolishly allowed myself to hope against all reason that it wouldn't be this bad. I should have known that rebuilding means expansion type struggles. Hope rhymes with "dope" for a reason and I'm guilty as charged :)

20. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I'm curious to see if Bair gets his starting place back next game. I sense that Ricketts will continue while Montero and the Honduran will vy for a starting place, Bangoura being a bench guy. Reyna is an automatic starter if fit.

21. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    THOUGHTS FROM THE GAME AT LAG- Sept 29:

1. In-beom hwang is going to be a terrific MF - the last 5-6 games he has shown the talent to become one of the best in MLS- he just needs more of a supporting cast

2.Jasser Khmiri- his first game this season- he is a CD of considerable talent- massive in the air, smart on the ground- he is better than Eric Godoy

3. Eric godoy- a loan player whose talent might not be needed next year- his transfer fee and salary probably arent worth the cost

4. Fredy Montero- a puzzle to be sure- his enormous salary near 1 mill, his legs waning, yet he scores 2 G, 1A in the last 3 games-- the Caps can buy-out 1 signed player- no team will trade for fredy

5. Toisant rickets- a worthy sub for 2020, especially with his cheap salary that is 1/12 the size of fredy and he has more wheels

6. Brett levis- should be released to a CPL or USL team

7. Andy Rose and scott sutter- its obvious that they is are favs of MDS and they will return for 2020; PC will not

8. Ardaiz and Bangoura- finally MDS has seen the light and both are not even on the bench- gone for 2020- neither are even good enough for USL 1

7. Michaell chirinos- even though he scored the winner on a sitter, he hasnt shown enough to warrant a return IMO

8. Jon erice- he can probably hardly wait to escape the Caps- disappointing season and he should return to spain and reboot his career

9. Theo bair- he almost scored another cracker of a shot- raw talent but comes with a lot of hope to be so much more as a striker- gotta keep him

10. Maxime crepeau- IMO, one of the top 3 goalies in MLS- he has great hands, quickness and courage - 2 stunning world class saves today and made an unusual blunder on a LAG goal

11. Jake nerwinski- will be a useful sub in 2020, but he should not be the starter at RB

12. Yordy reyna- a skillful talent but he needs more help- not sure he will want to come back- might be trade or selling bait

13. Anthony blondell- out on loan and not worth a return for 2020- too slow in all ways

i see 6-8 new players for 2020- lets hope MDS and his team scouting get it right

22. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  23. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    #1848 tm13, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  24. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Godoy looked real smooth at RB. I'd keep him. Gives you coverage at CB and is the best RB we have. Small sample size aside I hope to see him at RB next game as well. Can we trade/give Blondell to them in lieu of a transfer fee? LOL.

Let Chirinos go? WTF? I don't see the logic. He's been a positive offensively & defensively every game he's played in and is very skilled. I don't understand you on this one. Keep IMHO.

25/28 passes complete in the attacking half, 10/11 in the defensive half.

25. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I don't see Reyna being here: he's not featured in their promotional ads. Montero has shown some late sub heroics recently but is way too pricey for a situational player. Stick a fork in Erice: he's done. Ricketts is strictly a situational sub. The team needs two new starting mids to play along with HIB. I think they should keep Godoy based on what he showed as a CB: if nothing else, the competition at CB provides trade bait for need positions (i.e. getting another MLS midfielder).