Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Husam Botros

Husam Botros New Member

Manchester United
    Iraq
    Jul 5, 2019
    The whole issue of age virification is just to re confirm the age of most of IRAQI footballers and yes there is some players who fell in to that trap by their mangers at times but in Ali Adnan's case i honestly believe he is genuinely 25 because i have been following him since he played in
    2013 fifa world cup under 20 .. he looks a bit intimidating with his looks and behaviour and that makes looks a bit older but if you watch him closely you will see his attitude and behaviour on the pitch and outside you will see that the guy real age is 25 what i mean is he still has that naive attitude in him and is not behaving like a matured person yet.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  3. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    1-2 weeks to show us supporters that the owners are serious about contending or they can go and piss on their money

5. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    PLAYERS WHO SHOULD BE BACK FOR 2020: just not up to MLS standards

felipe, PC, sutter, levis, ardaiz, bangoura, blondell

nerwinski, rose and teibert should be bench-players

6. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    You forgot NOT in the bold part, right?

7. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  8. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    At this point in the season, this team has been completely well scouted by any decent coaching staff and unless there is an infusion of a new key player or two, this team's going down like JFK, Jr.'s airplane twenty years ago. The midfield is soft so teams attack it right up the middle. Getting a strong box to box "8" is something I've been harping on for months and it continues to be huge need because the finesse guys who regularly start in the midfield three aren't good enough defensively.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  9. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    the only way that would happen is if the new salary is paid by the MLS pots- for that to happen, MDS and the Caps would have to delete some player(s) to equal the new player's salary

as of right now, the Caps salaries total $8.1 mill- - 23/24 in MLS- the MLS max is $8.2 mill

there is NO WAY that the owners will pay a salary beyond the MLS pots- they never have and there is NO indication they will

so a loan player (Ardaiz, bangoura are the most likely) will somehow have be sent back to their former club or MDS makes a free trade to get some TAM $$ for a player (such as felipe at $500K or blondell at $307K) or some player's salary is bought down from the TAM pot they already have (such as adnan)

whats interesting to note is that in 2018, the total player salaries were $8.2 mill, all paid by MLS- it placed the Caps in the middle of MLS Clubs- now the same money for 2019 puts them 2nd from the bottom- its no coincidence that the Club is 23/24 in points and will eventually be the worst in MLS

its the coming adage in MLS 3.0- YOU USUALLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR- pariety is leaving and its becoming a league of have and have nots which depends on how ambitious each Clubs' owners are to compete and win

unfortunately, we have and have always had owners whose mantra is MEDIOCRITY at best- we survived with that from 2011- 20017 with some modest successes- its doesnt work anymore and it will only be solved by the owners deciding to either sell or investing some $$$ into the players, hoping that the Club will be more successful, thus increasing the revenue- not having our own stadium really hurts the bottom line, so its only through sponsors and attendance that revenues will increase (and thats another story that might unfold in 7-8 years when the Club's rental contract with BC Place ends... IF the Club is still in vancouver)

as the market sinks with a bottom Club, it will be interesting to see what the owners do - shite like minority owner steve nash's comment- HANG IN THERE- is demeaning and downright ignorant- he should be embarrassed, as the other 3 owners should be

supporters dont want hollow words like wait for the next transfer window in january- they want ACTION and HOPE- otherwise myself and thousands of others will be walking out the door for 2020- once lost, it will be tough to get them back- maybe a USL Club will come to the Valley such as Surrey

ITS TIME FOR THE OWNERS TO EITHER PUT THEIR BIG BOY PANTS ON AND COMPETE IN MLS (WHICH MEANS MORE INVESTMENT $$$) OR SELL TO AN OWNER(S) WHO WILL- 2019 IS A WATERSHED TIME FOR THE CLUB

WHAT WILL THE OWNERS DO ?? fire the FO (which should be done) ,and Coaching Staff (which shouldnt be done); or put their big boy pants on ? when the MLS transfer window closes in 2 weeks, we will have an answer and january will be the next part

10. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    ^They're not getting anybody. They're not trading anybody for someone else in this league, even for Garber Bucks (I'm reminded of Vancouver broadcasting legend Al Davidson's assessment of the mid 70s Canucks: "They're asking for battleships and offering rowboats in return!"). So really, all the ownership/FO spin is about bullsh*t stuff, like this scouting system. So, are any of these media types going to ask a question like, "Didn't you have an international scout in place starting two years ago with the hiring of John Park, the ex-Celtic personnel guy?"

Here's some more b.s. spin that I will predict to happen in the coming weeks and/or beyond into early offseason:
    - an Academy guy will be promoted to the first team. He will come from a region of Canada under-repped with the club at the moment, so I'm guessing Manitoba or Alberta, not BC or Ontario (Bair is there)
    - meanwhile, a bunch more Academy guys graduate to CPL, which is a good thing for them. The club will spin that into a success story: if you join us, you could be like CPL Allstar Marco Carducci!
    - another "Remember 1979" event will be done on the weekend and opponent (NYCFC/"Cosmos") for which it was originally planned. TSN will be asked to do a proper pre-game show with focus on this anniversary, not a halftime program where most of the analysis is on TFC's lack of attacking "quality" when Pozuelo and Altidore aren't starting together
    - Steve "Hangin' Tough" Nash will have Furlong's job to go along with his minority ownership
    - Bobby "retires," Rach stays, Greg gets re-assigned, and then some big fanfare will be attached to a search and hiring of a GM type: whose John Thorrington's assistant at LAFC?
    - A Robbo-esque squad churn will happen again: our Uruguayan stirker with tats and fancy hairdo gets replaced by another South American with different tats and hairdo, among other, "just another guy," type of players.

11. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    The big hole in the Caps statement that they want to build their team by development is, in a decade, they have not developed!

We got Teibert, we had Davies (although it can be argued he was the package before he got here). Other than that....

They have plenty of players getting a paycheck in the pros, but they are not playing on the Caps 1st team in MLS . Nor have they sold anyone for anything of value other than Davies.

So, if their development system does this in a decade, they can not sell that as a path for the future. It is very clear the MLS starting 11 will not be filled with prospects developed by them and turned into 1st team pros.

They also lied about the salary this year; although they may try to spin it by including the 2 transfer fees paid. But those were paid for guys making salaries paid by MLS cap and monies, so nothing from the owner.

What a messed up organization. It really won't change as long as the same guy is owning it. He believes were are a puny market, and has created that self fulfilling prophesy. From capping the attendances with the tarps, to having such a bad product that they could tarp half the stadium now.

Which means, he can walk to the league in 2 more years and say :"hey, we are getting 12,000 a game, we have 6000 season tickets only, we lost 8 million last year, this market is not viable, can we sell it to a US market for 200 million"

Don't think that isn't where this is going. Nobody will buy and keep a team in Vancouver if he has killed the market to the point it is a 5 year project just to get back to square one.

I have been sounding the alarm bells on Kerfoot's vision for years, I am saddened to see it all being played out. Although it may be a blessing now that the marketplace sees it clearly. Maybe there is still hope of getting him out of there and someone keeping it here.

12. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Oh, and everyone, no matter what happens

HANG TOUGH.

13. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i am tired of hanging-- its tough on the neck-- maybe steve nash should tell us what it means to HANG TOUGH-

he couldnt care a rats ass about the Caps - his interests lie in Europe with mallorca and tottenham- and jeff mallett's interests lie in the San Fran Giants; steve luczo's lie in Seagate Technology and greg kerfoot's lie in being hidden

all of them are HANGING TOUGH in much more important personal interests than the Whitecaps and the results show- they arent bad people, but they really arent interested in running/leading a successful MLS franchise in vancouver

TIME FOR THEM TO SELL THE CLUB BEFORE THEIR INVESTMENT GOES SOUTH

14. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
  15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    MDS has to get this new player RIGHT or he is looking more like robo- w can hope he has done his due diligence with the new player

i can kind of understand signing bangoura, venuto and monetro as all 3 came with decent resumes; mysteries are felipe to a new 3 year contract at $500K (a bench-warmer) and ardaiz (cant motivate himself) for significant loan $$

i suspect- HOPEFULLY- that bangoura, ardaiz and monetro wont be here in 2020, venuto is gone and who GAF about felipe who overestimates his ability in MLS and should be in the USL

can i be patient to see what happens in the off-season?? hell NO- the owners arent getting a dime out of me, even with their refund hype

all supporters should keep their foot on the pedal or this ownership group will do NOTHING SIGNIFICANT

16. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Right now, they've moved out Venuto and Felipe (good moves), signed another loan winger to join fellow loanee Bangoura (a roll the dice flyer move), and weren't able to make a deal for an Impact squad player striker because of who'd eat his salary (Jackson-Hamel).

For the home fans, the only excitement this month was maybe seeing Rooney (if he does indeed show up: since he is only in the league until season's end it, DC might spare him the trip to the left coast so he can focus on the bigger matches closer to home). With that in mind, are we going to see a reboot of the '79 celebrations on the Labour Day weekend on which and against whom (NYCFC/"Cosmos") they were originally planned? That would be an oh-so-Caps-FO move. Sort of fits in with the PNE carnival barker mindset of this organization.

There is zero buzz around this club at the moment. Grinding out a few wins, starting with Portland in the Cascadia Cup, will serve as a temporary bandaid.

17. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
  18. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I watched him at TFC and he wasn't a superstar but was decent. Provides some size, speed, workrate and experience. Caps need help up top.

19. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i was surprised that neither montreal or vancouver took a flyer on toisant- i didnt expect a US team to do for a 32 year old canadian striker- he was able to nick some important goals and offered a good sub at 60 minutes

just think, toisant offers us some hopes of a striker getting a goal!!

the sooner ardiaz and bangoura hit the door on the way out, the better MDS can focus on what he has left and decides what to do for 2020

and please, Whitecaps owners, FO and MDS, no more BS talk about wait for january for our BIG signings- put up or shut up

you have lost all the loyal support and your credibility is at 5%

20. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    He also had a habit when with TFC of coming on as a sub and coming up with a big goal when one was needed. He will not be a major factor for you in Vancouver but he will certainly be a positive one.

21. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    toisant is going to be a lot better than bangoura and the traded venuto, so its a win- but will he help the Caps in the lt- NADA

re: new scouting staff, FO shake-up- it only happened b/c this ownership group was forced to the wall by the supporters and MLS HQ- these owners dont do TWAT on their own integrity and honor- the sooner MLS forces an ownership change, the better it is for the Club- PERIOD!!!!

22. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I would not hold my breath waiting for the league to force an ownership change. Remember, the league is the owners. You have to be a really, really bad owner before they step in because they don't want the other owners doing it to them. Like Chivas bad. If just being bad was enough, Kraft would have been out a long time ago.

What will make the existing owners change things is a drop in attendance. So far, the Whitecaps have been like TFC - the team bumbled along but the fans were patient. When attendance started to drop in Toronto the ownership got serious about fixing things. I suspect the same will happen in Vancouver.

23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Vancouver celebrating that they finally started 6 Canadians attracted some sarcasm and criticism.

24. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    What was that line from "The Life Of Brian"? "There's no pleasing some people". Now that the Caps are clearly in the lead for minutes played by Canadians some like Steve Sandor at the11.ca who used to keep track of it don't bother? Oh yea too busy.

For some reason TFC and the Impact are way way behind this year in minutes for Canadians but hey let's all dump on the Caps when they do play a lot. What a bunch of two faced wankers.