Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    We out possessed SKC on the road today. I don't recall that last time that happened. I can see us developing more into the style MDS wants. It seems agonisingly slow to us fans but all in time.

DC with the highlight reel volley to snatch a point in the final minute. Pity about Felipe & Henry's injuries. Here is hoping it isn't too serious.

Ardaiz continues to show very little. Bair made the 18 today so maybe MDS is getting him ready to replace Ardaiz? He would be much cheaper and I'm interested to see him play.

2. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Another point on the road and another injury. This time Ardaiz played very well but got injured. I'm never one to hope for an injury to a player but I seriously think Bair is the real deal. I hope he gets subbed in on Saturday. He is big, rangy, quick (not just for a big guy) and I'm dying to see what he can do at the MLS level.

3. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i totally agree- ardaiz is NOT a professional- he does just enough to make a coach think that he can be the genius to unlock his potential- for the money the Caps invested in him-a transfer fee of $1 mill and a salary of a DP- he will be lucky to make 3 goals- i am surprised that MDS took a flyer on him- because of his lack of proper training, he will have flashes of excitement, but will usually be injured and will - BASICALLY- be a waste of the coaching staff time

i have little patience for a young player who doesnt have a passion for the game and cant train properly

Bair should be given time ahead of this head-case- there is a greater chance of a + return... and a whole lot less $$$$$$

i would say the same for lass bangoura who is lucky if he can motor 35 minutes without sucking wind

4. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    3 points at home. We needed them badly and got them and Bair made his debut. Here is hoping we see more of him.

5. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    YUP!!! are you starting to get into this team ??

6. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I do like the direction we are going. There will still be games like last night where we get out possessed 60-40 by teams better than us in that regard but we are getting better.

7. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    MDS still needs that box to box CM and that Piatti-esque winger/forward. Is one of those going to happen in this next window? It's the best time to get a gamechanger.

8. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    much like what the Cap supporters did with the womens' issue, we MUST put constant heat on the ownership and FO- make them keep their promise (Jeff mallett in preseason) to be in the top 3rd in spending on players, including millions from the davies' transfer money

this is a Club where as little as possible and mediocrity is their Mantra- we need to expect and demand more

Vancouver can be as good a market as portland - now is the time to make it begin to happen

9. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Major difference between Vancouver and Portland is that Portland owns their stadium and Vancouver does not. Because of that, Vancouver misses out on a significant revenue stream that clubs with their own stadiums enjoy.

10. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    a good point- its why owning your own stadium makes sense-

the Caps' ownership have leaked the possibility of a SSS for 2027-2029- with these present owners, i dont see any possibility of them ponying up a minimum of $500 mill for land and the stadium- i think its all to try and get some positive PR after the womens' debacle- in 10 years- anyone who believes that should also believe i have an igloo for $10 on baffin island... or take it for free

supporters should not go down the rabbit hole of believing this ownership and FO group- actions ONLY- if i see them investing plus $5 mill in a #10 and a proven striker to team up with montero then i can begin to trust them

they have broken trust with many supporters and only concrete and significant actions will rebuild it

11. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    well said

12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    A FLASH TO THE PAST:

do you remember in the pre-season that Cap owner, jeff mallett, made the bold statement that he wanted the Caps to be in the top 1/3 of player salaries rather than in the bottom 1/3- and that the davies transfer money would get that to
    happen ??

4 weeks to go until the new signing window for MLS- will it be another lie/betrayal by the owners ? or will it actually happen ? whats your guess ??
    have the owners learned from the womens' issue and had an epiphany to show honor and integrity and keep their word ?

whats your guess ??

13. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Soccer specific stadiums were the magic elixir that kept MLS going in the lean years. Owning your own stadium and getting ALL the revenues from parking, food, drinks plus renting the facility during off times for concerts etc. That is one of the major items that Vancouver is missing.

#OUTOFBCPLACEANDINTOOUROWNSTADIUM ... or something like that :)

14. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even in a declining RE market, building a stadium in Vancouver would be a tall order.

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i dont see this ownership group ponying up the money for a new stadium- they dont have that vision, ambition or belief

SOME GUESSES:

1. i think adnan will not be bought for over a $1 mill transfer fee- they will try to get a free agent, but quality LB and use the $$$ for a #10 leader and #9 to fit with reyna and montero

2. bangoura will be released from his loan and he will keep ardaiz for depth but not signed come december (taking time away from bair, unfortunately)

3. the Caps will sign 3 quality free agents- LB, #10, #9- but actual spending of the davies transfer money will help pay their salaries (the owners are all about saving money and there are lots of free agents available so why pay a transfer fee; or maybe another loan agreement at a minimal cost and a possibility of a lt signing after the season ends)

4. with the new signings, the Caps will be a team on the rise come september and will make the playoffs

Cost to the owners- $4-5 mill, leaving available davies $$$ for 2020
    (there is no way the owners will shell out extra money from their own pockets- moths will have more chance of being in their pockets! the Caps will move from the bottom 1/3 in MLS salary spending to the middle)

16. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ^wishful thinking if you actually believe they will dump 4 - 5 million out of their own wallets in the next 8 weeks.

17. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    take the dust out of your brain- the only $$$ the owners will spend for new players will be from the davies transfer- they have probably given MDS a sum of money to use (my guess is in the $4-5 mill range) and he can do with that sum in any way he wants, such as salary above the MLS level and pots (such as TAM), and transfer/agent fees

the Caps need a bump up in PR- when the Shadow, greg kerfoot, showed his face at the womens meeting, he was showing that even he is getting concerned about the growing apathy- nothing like a couple of exciting attacking players to stop that bleeding

i would imagine that kerfoot had to go to his therapist to deal with his social fears/anxiety after the meeting

18. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    The davies transfer money is in their wallets. So what the ******** you are talking about I have no idea. Its their money to use as they please on players or "development" (which can be folded into off set a lot of past costs through accounting and also to set up their for profit centers across the country). Hence, they still could hoard most of it and not use it on the first team

So far, they have spent 1.4 million on a transfer fee and a little bit of Hwang's salary that is not covered by MLS. So, less than 2 million over all. The new rumored Korean they are pursuing is likely in the same price range.

If they dump 5 million this summer, I will be over joyed. There is no evidence they have changed their spending policies yet.

19. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

20. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Careful, a more “ambitious” owner might move the franchise to somewhere they can realistically build /have their own stadium.

21. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    For all of that issue, the Caps could be viable at an attendance of 26k average with a couple of upper bowl openings for cascadia matches. The market was on its way to that level until the apathy set in.

But Kerfoot has let it rot to the point that, if he doesnt change, it will not be viable for anyone to want to keep it in Vancouver. Which then, your fear could be possible

I said before, 5 more years of the exact same way, and it will rot to the point it will be moved. ANd it will squarely be on him

get the market excited and make goals of winning, this market will respond.

Getting a stadium will be hard because the Province will be very reluctant to help them in any way to secure land and approvals when they have BC Place to fill. It hasnt been a political issue for a while but one of those ********ed up parties will blame the other one if there is ever just the Lions there, or nobody for that matter.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  22. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    From GlassCity:

‏ @GlassCityFC 1h1 hour ago

MDS has made 17 signings so far. After 15 games, I rate them as follows,

8 - Adnan, Crepeau
    7 - Inbeom, Godoy
    6 - Montero, Erice, Sutter
    5 - PC, Rose, Cornelius, MacMath
    4 - Venuto, Bangoura
    3 - Ardaiz
    N/A - Khmiri, Hasal, McDonough

he forgot that MDS had felipe resigned for a WHOPPING $500 000- that has to be a #4 or 3- felipe adds little defensively or attacking- can you imagine that he is getting more than 2x doneil henry

also i would have ranked PC at #4, bangoura at #2,and ardaiz at #1

both ardaiz and bangoura are loan players and should be sliced asap- a waste of coaching and playing time- focus should be on the existing players, new players coming in and the canadian youth, such as bair, norman jr and colyn

23. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I'd agree that Ardaiz can go. We have Bair and he is comparable but vastly less cost.

24. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    in an interview, MDS- and i gotta love his candor- stated that this coming july window will see 2 new players (with an outside of 3- could be to do with adnan and whether or not the Club can sign him- its seems to be in udinese's hands and we will know by june 30); 2 more in january

as he has wisely said in preseason, this Club will be rebuilt over 2 seasons- dare we hope for a quality #9 and 10 this july ??

Element 7ero repped this.
  25. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    even if the owners had mor revenue fro owning their own stadium, i am not convinced they would spend more on players- as per their 'ambition', the owners have spent within the allotted MLS budget, the same as last year, but having slipped to 23rd in spending, second from the bottom-

we will know in 3-4 weeks if the owners will spend extra money- the davies transfer- or sit with their collective wallet glued to their arses- Old Fan says NO; i still have a narrow slit of hope left

failure to do so will- IMO- see thousands of ST non-renewals and apathy will continue to spread across the empty seats